Market Research - Storage VPS offer tuning.

2»

Comments

• @beagle said: Not sure how many tickets you may have with users not knowing how to partition and format the storage though.

Yeah, that will probably be a huge pain in the ass. Could probably create custom templates that auto partition and mount it, but that's a lot of extra work.

I personally really like split storage setups but I know how to install from ISO and partition the storage exactly how I want, you're asking for trouble with 90% of customers who just want their 1TB available on the root partition though.

🦍🍌

• edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    Hi Folks,

I am going to detail a plan below I will not try and justify anything, I am just interested in what you like and dislike and what you would change.

KVM
    1 CPU Core
    1 GB Ram
    1200 GB Disk space (Raid 5 Spinners)
    4 TB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared - unmetered inbound)
    1 IPv4 address
    /64 IPv6 block
    Linux/BSD OS supported
    Uk/London.

€8.50 /month
    €24.00 /3 months
    €94.50 /year

Given that this is going to be RAID5 spinning rust and that my IOPS aren't going to be spectacular as a result, I (personally) would prefer to have a unmetered in/out port, perhaps throttled to 50 or 100Mbps instead. Other than that looks like a pretty good deal considering the quality of your network. I could see someone who perhaps has a handful of VPSes with you use this as a way to backup their systems quite easily and quickly... maybe offer a note about internal network traffic not counting against bandwidth quota too?

Just spitballing a bit. Hope this helps :)

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• At that price you're kinda in a tough spot. There are many providers giving 1tb at around $5-6 a month without managing a server. So then if you in need of a server it might be because you want a centralized data solution. At that point it might be more worth while to just offer it as a block storage solution for current customers looking for more storage.

• BusterWolfBusterWolf OGRetired

I'd buy it. More disk space with less RAM/CPU works for me personally.

Thanked by (1)iandk
  • I would like a vps with 1gb of ram and 100 - 200 gb of storage, around 15-20 USD.
    Why more RAM, my plan is mail server, nextcloud, a couple of static sites and file sharing.

• @BusterWolf said:
    I'd buy it. More disk space with less RAM/CPU works for me personally.

I second that. In most cases I just need space, not performance. I have no need for ssd/nvme and lots of ram and cpu.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited May 2020

@mrtilde said:
    I would like a vps with 1gb of ram and 100 - 200 gb of storage, around 15-20 USD.
    Why more RAM, my plan is mail server, nextcloud, a couple of static sites and file sharing.

I have to say, running a mail server or nextcloud on a disk array intended for raw storage is a terrible idea, imap for example generated almost constant IOPS R+W requests and the bigger the mailbox the worse it gets.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@mrtilde said:
    I would like a vps with 1gb of ram and 100 - 200 gb of storage, around 15-20 USD.

I have to say, running a mail server on a disk array intended for raw storage is a terrible idea, imap for example generated almost constant IOPS R+W requests and the bigger the mailbox the worse it gets.

He seems to represent the "let me use a cheap storage VPS as a cheap KVM"-style thinking :#

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)