Server Auction

Is there a such a place that provides a platform for hosting/dedicated servers to be put up for auction? Not a specific provider, but a platform for multiple providers to use?

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

Thanked by (1)WebHostingDomain

Comments

• If not, that's a pretty nice idea.. similar to SB?

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said:
    If not, that's a pretty nice idea.. similar to SB?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think it could be great for providers to put any hardware that's surplus, or that people aren't buying. Throw it up for auction, so it's not just sitting there.

If it doesn't exist, I may try and get something started. LMK if anyone wants to volunteer to help.

SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• @SpryServers_Tab said:

@dahartigan said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think it could be great for providers to put any hardware that's surplus, or that people aren't buying. Throw it up for auction, so it's not just sitting there.

If it doesn't exist, I may try and get something started. LMK if anyone wants to volunteer to help.

Sounds awesome actually :-) I'm happy to volunteer to help with that, if there's anything I can do.

Wonder if there's something on github for some inspiration..

Thanked by (2)SpryServers_Tab poisson

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• I remember there was a site that was posted some time ago on LET, where a user could setup an auction or some kind of transfer. But I fail to remember the URL and can't find it with the help of almighty Google... Any chances someone remembers?

Thanked by (1)SpryServers_Tab
  • it sounds like a good idea

• @dahartigan said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

@dahartigan said:

Sounds awesome actually :-) I'm happy to volunteer to help with that, if there's anything I can do.

Will do, thanks!

Wonder if there's something on github for some inspiration..

Yeah, there might be. Will have to take a look. I love github. I get inspiration for all kinds of things there.

@Bochi said:
    I remember there was a site that was posted some time ago on LET, where a user could setup an auction or some kind of transfer. But I fail to remember the URL and can't find it with the help of almighty Google... Any chances someone remembers?

Oh really? That would be cool to be able to get an idea.

@seriesn said:
    I would be interested as well. I couldn't find anything that comes close to it.

I'll look at some different auction scripts and see what it would look like to modify them to our needs.

• @SpryServers_Tab said:

Found it, finally! However, it seems as if the journey is already over - Cloudflare reports an invalid SSL certificate:

Original thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154163/yid-bid-idle-service-trading-made-easy

• @Bochi said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Found it, finally! However, it seems as if the journey is already over - Cloudflare reports an invalid SSL certificate:

Original thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154163/yid-bid-idle-service-trading-made-easy

RIP, well that didn't last long.

• ITLabsITLabs OG
    edited November 2019

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    Is there a such a place that provides a platform for hosting/dedicated servers to be put up for auction? Not a specific provider, but a platform for multiple providers to use?

You mean something like INXY or OneProvider (marketplaces) but placing the provider in direct contact with the customer, right?

BF/CM - Buyer Beware. Conduct your own due diligence on the sustainability of the deals presented here as well as the provider's track record.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2019

ah yid-bid, I remember having some choice words to say about that, and by choice words I mean punch massive gaping holes in the concept generally, but I admired the idea (ethos?) behind it, the implementation was to easy to abuse.

Thanked by (1)uptime

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @ITLabs said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

You mean something like INXY or OneProvider (marketplaces) but placing the provider in direct contact with the customer, right?

Exactly. Like eBay meets OneProvider.

@AnthonySmith said:
    ah yid-bid, I remember having some choice words to say about that, and by choice words I mean punch massive gaping holes in the concept generally, but I admired the idea (ethos?) behind it, the implementation was to easy to abuse.

Can you expand on what part of the implementation was easy to abuse? What did they do wrong/what could they have done differently?

Thanked by (1)ITLabs

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

SpryServers_Tab said: Can you expand on what part of the implementation was easy to abuse? What did they do wrong/what could they have done differently?

Have a read of my comments on the linked post on LET, if there is anything else specifically that does not cover I am happy to re-engage :)

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:

SpryServers_Tab said: Can you expand on what part of the implementation was easy to abuse? What did they do wrong/what could they have done differently?

Have a read of my comments on the linked post on LET, if there is anything else specifically that does not cover I am happy to re-engage :)

Oh, right on, will do.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited November 2019

I might have an "interesting" domain for that ...

https://lets.bid

:smiley:

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• @uptime said:
    I might have an "interesting" domain for that :

Quick question, how many domains do you own?

Back in topic, I think it's a great idea.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @uptime said:
    I might have an "interesting" domain for that ...

Niiice. Yeah that might work well :+1:

server.auction is available, but it's prem and I'm not sure I really want to spend the money on it. :P

Thanked by (2)uptime localhost

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited November 2019

somik said: how many domains do you own?

well, you know how it goes ... it's more like we really just rent them from a registrar for a year or two or ... sometimes longer.

There are just a few that I've held onto over the years. (As for the rest - let's just say I stopped counting after 100 ... :))

Back to the idea of setting up a bidding site - there are definitely some challenges to consider. I've been kicking around some random ideas for (not surprisingly) facilitating domain auctions. But in general, a short (and incomplete) list of some issues that deserve some sober contemplation:

• First potential problem: how to deal with the possibility of shill bidding
    • Next up: other issues on the way to a successfully completed transaction (the stuff that escrow is for)

Well, that's already enough to give pause when rushing in where angels might fear to tread ...

And I'm sure there would be plenty more wrinkles to iron out.

But if it were easy, then any idiot would do it, ammirite? :smiley:

tl;dr: count me in!

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• The full Softaculous has some auction/bid software, IIRC. Might be some inspiration there?

Thanked by (1)uptime

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    The full Softaculous has some auction/bid software, IIRC. Might be some inspiration there?

1 works. Don't work for the project. Rest expired before half of the people here learnt what a vps is :/

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint dahartigan