VMHaus twitter- worth a read for customers.

edited May 2020 in Industry News

Their twitter suggests they’ll be shutting down in a weeks time, but it’s not true.

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited May 2020

"a disgruntled former director of VMHaus Ltd." who let his company be taken from him and abused by a bunch of teenagers who ripped him off and left him in debt ran away with his assets and here we are today.

He can only blame himself for employing known criminal because they were cheap I guess, the vmhaus panel code has been sold and sold and sold over and over again by now and given who coded it, people should be worried if they have anything running on it.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Thanks - have updated original post to reflect this.

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Oh! more drama :D

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• They should sue for defamation.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• Eugh, I hope the data isn't really being traded. I love Mythic Beasts - they're really solid and great to deal with.

edited May 2020

@YellowHummingbird said: Eugh, I hope the data isn't really being traded. I love Mythic Beasts - they're really solid and great to deal with.

iirc they operate VMHaus like a completely separate entity so I would not be concerned, if VMHaus fails it will have zero impact, it was a mercy take over/rescue anyway from what I understand to help out one of their employees who got tangled in the mess.

Thanked by (1)YellowHummingbird

• @AnthonySmith said:

@YellowHummingbird said: Eugh, I hope the data isn't really being traded. I love Mythic Beasts - they're really solid and great to deal with.

iirc they operate VMHaus like a completely separate entity so I would not be concerned, if VMHaus fails it will have zero impact, it was a mercy take over/rescue anyway from what I understand to help out one of their employees who got tangled in the mess.

Ah, I'd assumed they'd merged some of the behind-the-scenes parts (maybe the customer database). I didn't realise that - but from a quick google search, I suspect you're right.

• In theory its possible that he has hands on a old dump + old bonsai source code.

@Neoon said: In theory its possible that he has hands on a old dump + old bonsai source code.

That is not a theory, he offered to sell it to me.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

$7 for bonsai

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

@cybertech said:
    $7 for bonsai

it started at $500 then he got cheaper, think it was $150 at some point.

@AnthonySmith said:

@cybertech said:
    $7 for bonsai

That's actually reasonable lol. We gonna have some bonsai summer hosts soon

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG
    edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@cybertech said:
    $7 for bonsai

$150/one time? for a panel with all those features? uh if it isn't encoded you could buy it and then get someone to build/clean ontop of it?

EDIT: didn't read the post with my brain fully working, my bad.

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• @SpeedBus said:
    $150/one time? for a panel with all those features? uh if it isn't encoded you could buy it and then get someone to build/clean ontop of it?

I believe sometimes it is not about the price but etiquette. I thought all rights of Bonsai should be sold together to Mythic Beasts. Should think twice before obtaining it.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG
    edited May 2020

@FAT32 said:

@SpeedBus said:

I believe sometimes it is not about the price but etiquette. I thought all rights of Bonsai should be sold together to Mythic Beasts. Should think twice before obtaining it.

Ahhh I see now, I thought that the company was selling the panel as-is. Re-read the post now and see that the ID isn't theirs. My bad, sorry about that.

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• deankdeank OG
    edited May 2020

This is what happens when PMS completely overtakes a man.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

edited May 2020

@FAT32 said: I believe sometimes it is not about the price but etiquette. I thought all rights of Bonsai should be sold together to Mythic Beasts. Should think twice before obtaining it.

The issue was from memory that the owner gave away so many shares rather than salary to the kids he had running it that he was no longer a majority shareholder and then they took it from him and removed him as a director, sacked off the guy that did a lot of the work on bonsai, everyone else panicked and resigned leaving the one kid left who happened to work for Mythic Beasts, as the sole director he then could do what he wanted, given the debt Mythic Beasts then rescued the situation.

The founder, now pushed out said he paid for Bonsai out of his own pocket, not out of VMHaus profits and claimed ownership of it, and tbh, he is probably not far wrong. (excluding the customer data)

Anyway, there is the public version, Mythic Beasts version, The original owners version and some employees versions, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Thanked by (3)FAT32 mikho vimalware

Sounds like business opportunity!

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Now he's offering customer data.

×Giving away Bonsai Panel source code and customer database in mysql dbdump. DM to get it now.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@SmallWeb said:

Someone should let Dustin know. Then he can become a $2 mil company!

Thanked by (2)[Deleted User] seriesn

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

Title updated in light of the latest tweet.

• @Mason said:

@SmallWeb said:

Someone should let Dustin know. Then he can become a $2 mil company!

Hes probably on it already.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@SmallWeb said:

×Giving away Bonsai Panel source code and customer database in mysql dbdump. DM to get it now.

I think most people should be scared of buying from there...

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• How did the guy got access to the twitter account of VMHaus?
    I mean it was sold over 1 year ago, you wanna tell me they missed to change the password?

• Perhaps never underestimate the sheer stupidity of lowend people?

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

@Neoon said:
    How did the guy got access to the twitter account of VMHaus?
    I mean it was sold over 1 year ago, you wanna tell me they missed to change the password?

I imagine because he did all the marketing no one else ever had access to it, due to the nature of the company being taken from him they did not dare ask for the twitter login and hoped he just remained dormant.

anyway, anyone DM for the source code yet?

• Wonder if he accepts steam gift cards... :p

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@Neoon said:
    How did the guy got access to the twitter account of VMHaus?

I imagine because he did all the marketing no one else ever had access to it, due to the nature of the company being taken from him they did not dare ask for the twitter login and hoped he just remained dormant.

If this is the case, as you say, why would they leave the account out there with that guy?
    They could have claimed it but they apparently did not or never needed to do that.

If you buy a company, you want to get access to all accounts right?
    So I rather suspect, someone missed to switch the keys to that door.

anyway, anyone DM for the source code yet?

Basil insisted on discord, that anyone who is going to "take advantage" via DM will likely get sued:
    "friendly reminder,

"

So I guess anyone with a bit of sanity would not do that.
    Besides, what stops someone, to create a new twitter account via VPN or such and just request it? Nothing.

I am more worried, if the code goes into the wrong hands, that the panel may get exploited sooner or later.
    So far I do not know a single security audit that this panel had.

Besides, a while back, someone talked about the Bonsai panel and code quality and what he said did not sounded so good to me.
    Of course take this with a grain of salt.

They did took the panel down, as precaution and its back up now.
    Lets see how it goes.

• How exactly do they plan to sue someone outside of the EU? Say some Chinese provider takes up on it...yeah, good luck pal. Especially with GDPR. They dont give a rats behind.

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.