Check on self-hosted authoritative nameservers
Let's try out this LES :-) I am learning on self-hosting my own nameservers. Using powerdns and powerdns-admin. Seems to be working good so far including DNSSEC. https://dnsviz.net is also happy.
My question was on reliability. This is what I have:
- NS1 with provider A, location 1, master, not exposed as NS record, firewall to accept only AXFR to slaves
- NS2 with provider A, location 2, slave
- NS3 with provider A, location 3, slave
- NS4 with provider B, location 4, slave, also where I host most of my services and websites, but on a separate IP
- NS4 with ns2.he.net, location 5, slave
These are 4 publicly exposed nameservers in 4 different locations and 3 different providers.
I added the HE server so that I have something out of my potential destructive control. Adding the other 3 HE servers seems a bit too much. Or is it not?