Any interest v-Dedicated servers?

2»

Comments

• I personally would like something like this:

8GB RAM
    3 or 4 dedicated cores
    120 GB SSD

I would run a busy website there without worrying about the peak visitors.

For a small Proxmox server I'd love something like:

16GB RAM
    4 dedicated cores
    180 GB SSD
    /29

Both with 5TB should be fine.

If I need something bigger, I will definitely go with bare metal.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@imok so you are not so worried about dedicated iops or dedicated uplinks then you just want a VPS with dedicated cores?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

edited June 2020

Having looked again, probably the smallest I could go without compromising it much and it still remaining actually dedicated

• E3-1270v6 (4 threads @ 3.80 Ghz) - DEDICATED
    • 8 GB DDR4 Ram
    • 100 GB pure NVMe Dedicated
    • Nested-virt enabled.
    • 1 Gbit port DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW
    • DDOS Protection
    • Free Direct Ddmin
    • Own IP blocks routed for free
    • BGP

£27.50 /month

Optional extras:

£5 /month - once daily fully managed backup of the entire disk image for restore on request

Prices are rough at this point and may be +/- 10% or so.

• edited June 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    @AlwaysSkint

How is this then:

• 16 GB DDR4 Ram

£32.99 /month

This is much better looking to me - great for e.g. a few popular wordpress sites, with enough RAM to cache well and some fast storage. The backups idea is great. How long would backups be retained for?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @AlwaysSkint

How is this then:

• 16 GB DDR4 Ram
    • Dedicated Storage = 120GB pure NVMe
    • Nested-virt enabled.
    • 1 Gbit port DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW
    • DDOS Protection
    • Free Direct Ddmin
    • BGP

£32.99 /month

Optional extras:

£5 /month - once daily fully managed backup of the entire disk image for restore on request

Now that's tasty....

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @imok so you are not so worried about dedicated iops or dedicated uplinks then you just want a VPS with dedicated cores?

To be honest, I'm not sure how iops affect my websites. I usually take 2 backups daily using rsync while website is really busy. I'm not sure if "dedicated iops" is something I need. But redundancy is a must for me.

Dedicated uplinks? Does not matter.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    Having looked again, probably the smallest I could go without compromising it much and it still remaining actually dedicated

• 8 GB DDR4 Ram
    • Nested-virt enabled.
    • 1 Gbit port DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW
    • DDOS Protection
    • Free Direct Ddmin
    • BGP

£27.50 /month

Optional extras:

That comes out a lot cheaper than some VPS so I don't see a problem with it.

Seeing shit like this makes me want money, so I can give it to you.

@YellowHummingbird said: This is much better looking to me - great for e.g. a few popular wordpress sites, with enough RAM to cache well and some fast storage. The backups idea is great. How long would backups be retained for?

I would imagine 7 days or 5 days + a monthly, something like that, essentially the way I am thinking is 1 additional data per NVMe and that is probably going to be a 1TB, so at LEAST 7 live backups at any time, but it would be managed so I could do it however you want, it would essentially just be a live disk image clone.

I appreciate the method is not perfect when it comes to rapidly changing databases but I have been doing it that way for 4 ish years now and having had to do around 100 individual restores of database-backed services not a single one has failed, the worst case has been a table that needed a repair, that happened once and I can't be sure it was not corrupt already at the time of backup.

@imok said: To be honest, I'm not sure how iops affect my websites. I usually take 2 backups daily using rsync while website is really busy. I'm not sure if "dedicated iops" is something I need. But redundancy is a must for me.

Dedicated uplinks? Does not matter.

Understood, not the right product for you then, you just need a VPS :)

@SmallWeb said: That comes out a lot cheaper than some VPS so I don't see a problem with it.

Seeing shit like this makes me want money, so I can give it to you.

Thanks, keep in mind that at the smaller end though that comes without raid, maybe the daily backups put you at ease and the tendency for NVMe (higher end ones) to almost always fail in read-only mode too, much harder to loose data.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said: Thanks, keep in mind that at the smaller end though that comes without raid, maybe the daily backups put you at ease and the tendency for NVMe (higher end ones) to almost always fail in read-only mode too, much harder to loose data.

Without a doubt, I would see the backup addon as a must-have personally. The price is very little considering the importance of keeping backups.

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint Harambe wdmg
  • @SmallWeb said:

@AnthonySmith said: Thanks, keep in mind that at the smaller end though that comes without raid, maybe the daily backups put you at ease and the tendency for NVMe (higher end ones) to almost always fail in read-only mode too, much harder to loose data.

Without a doubt, I would see the backup addon as a must-have personally. The price is very little considering the importance of keeping backups.

+1 - I wish more providers offered affordable daily or even weekly snapshots. Would save me a ton of downtime/hassle if a restore was needed. Get running again and only have a few things to sync over vs. full rebuild.

BuyVM launched backups/snapshots in LV and I've already bought it for most of my VMs.

Thanked by (1)Ouji

🦍🍌

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

@sureiam said: Why not just choop that up? 1 dedicated thread, 4gb ram, 50gb nvme, 1ip, 7-8 pounds a month. Or is there not enough meat on they bone after the cost of ipv4?

Again that is just a VPS, I would only be interested in doing this with actually dedicated resources.

I mean, you could do VPSes with dedicated resources like Hetzner Cloud's vCPU line

@lentro said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@sureiam said: Why not just choop that up? 1 dedicated thread, 4gb ram, 50gb nvme, 1ip, 7-8 pounds a month. Or is there not enough meat on they bone after the cost of ipv4?

Again that is just a VPS, I would only be interested in doing this with actually dedicated resources.

I mean, you could do VPSes with dedicated resources like Hetzner Cloud's vCPU line

Yeah but again, that is just a VPS, I am talking a step further with dedicated disk and links with a maximum of 2 people per physical server.

• What location?

I'm interested if Miami (or Florida)
    for me could work:

• 2 to 4 cores dedicated.
    • 8 to 16 GB DDR4 Ram
    • 100 to 250 GB pure NVMe Dedicated
    • Nested-virt enabled. (yes please, i use lxd/lxc)
    • 1 Gbit port shared or DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6 (not needed but i am happy if can get it)
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW (i'm ok with 10 TB to 20 TB)
    • DDOS Protection (yes please,)

no yearly payment.

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @AlwaysSkint

How is this then:

• 16 GB DDR4 Ram
    • Dedicated Storage = 120GB pure NVMe
    • Nested-virt enabled.
    • 1 Gbit port DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW
    • DDOS Protection
    • Free Direct Ddmin
    • BGP

£32.99 /month

Optional extras:

Maybe too in-depth for this stage but:

Will you limit the "4 threads" that you're giving out here to the first 2 cores + associated HT "cores", or will you let the VM layer handle the part where that gets assigned? If the former, you get quite steady performance no matter what the second renter does (aside from maybe a tad of lower turbo), the latter might considerably slow you down if the other guy is doing something heavy.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

@teamacc said: Will you limit the "4 threads" that you're giving out here to the first 2 cores + associated HT "cores", or will you let the VM layer handle the part where that gets assigned? If the former, you get quite steady performance no matter what the second renter does (aside from maybe a tad of lower turbo), the latter might considerably slow you down if the other guy is doing something heavy.

With only 2 people on the node at any given time I seriously doubt the difference would be human noticeable, things have advanced far enough now that we are talking a tiny fraction of a split second to allocate cpu time and if there is always available time then letting the host node handle it is probably fine.

BUT for the sake of the tiny amount of work pinning some cores it would be the former to take away any possible impacts or conflicts.

Each guest would have 4 threads consisting of 2 physical and 2 HT cores.

• Maybe should have hdd option.

• williewillie OG
    edited June 2020

I've been using bare metal dedis for a while and haven't found them much different than VPS. If something goes wrong with the hardware (and this is happened), I put in a ticket and DC ops fix it. Single tenant VDS is mostly of interest for things like instant migration in case of hardware failure (using CEPH disks), or maybe for fast provisioning of new servers (I don't know what best practice is, but in principle you don't have to scrub the old disk before starting a new VDS for a new customer, since the virtualization layer can keep the old data from being accessed by the new VDS). The latter is more of interest for hourly rentals.

The machines being offered do look nice! I'm mostly interested in US location though.

• When do you plan to launch this?

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• vyasvyas OG
    edited July 2020

@willie said:
    I've been using bare metal dedis

Bare-Metal-Dedis

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    When do you plan to launch this?

Working out the finder details and the art of the possible atm. Not 100 sure when or if I will, it’s proving difficult to get firm prices for custom configs which I obviously need.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333

• @AnthonySmith said:

• 8 GB DDR4 Ram
    • Nested-virt enabled.
    • 1 Gbit port DEDICATED
    • /48 IPv6
    • /29 IPv4
    • 30TB BW
    • DDOS Protection
    • Free Direct Ddmin
    • BGP

£27.50 /month

Optional extras:

Looks good for me