HotlineServers.com Review

Hotlineservers's 55% off recurring deal last month caught my eye, so I decided to write a review on it.

Check it out at my blog: https://blog.unixfy.net/hotlineservers-benchmark-review/

Let me know what you think!

«1

Comments

  • I too have the 8GB and very satisfied.
    Mine in Montreal.
    But the better question is will they survive the long run.
    I'm going to keep my VPS and use it but with backup

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy

    You have been invited to experience the Waking Up app for free. The app is unlocked for one month. Enjoy.
    https://share.wakingup.com/1cb1d7 (extra signature line removed)

  • SmallWebSmallWeb Hosting ProviderOG

    Nice blog and nice review :)

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • @Unixfy said:
    Hotlineservers's 55% off recurring deal last month caught my eye, so I decided to write a review on it.

    Check it out at my blog: https://blog.unixfy.net/hotlineservers-benchmark-review/

    Let me know what you think!

    Thank you for your honest review.

    Thanked by (2)Unixfy visualwebtechno

    Down but not out.

  • It's really a hard offer to pass up. Even with my previous reservations I've picked one up and will be doing some testing soon.

    Nice blog. I would review a bit differently though. Supposedly those are dedicated cores which isn't mentioned in your review. Additionally a more thorough network test of routing is always appreciated and in my experienced missing from most reviews. For example via their looking glass I found their Dallas site had several hops less and lower pings from multiple locations vs other providers I'd tested. Which caught my attention.

    I'm also somewhat picky about the peering finding he.net, level3 (uncommon in the "low end" space), ntt route better for udp type services then say cogent. But only after running a traceroute from multiple locations would you be able to establish that.

    For future reviews you might want to incorporate that type of data to differentiate your blog. But that's just my opinion I liked your review a lot and it did Get me excited to test out the setup soon.

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • @sureiam said: Supposedly those are dedicated cores which isn't mentioned in your review

    Good catch. I've updated the post to reflect this.

    @sureiam said: Additionally a more thorough network test of routing is always appreciated and in my experienced missing from most reviews. For example via their looking glass I found their Dallas site had several hops less and lower pings from multiple locations vs other providers I'd tested. Which caught my attention.

    I'm also somewhat picky about the peering finding he.net, level3 (uncommon in the "low end" space), ntt route better for udp type services then say cogent. But only after running a traceroute from multiple locations would you be able to establish that.

    I will consider doing this.. I thought about it earlier. Perhaps traceroutes to a set of specified locations - maybe 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, and my ASN or something. Would that be good?
    As for testing multiple locations, I wouldn't want to do this because the review is for the VPS, not the provider overall.

    Thanks for your input :)

  • BloomVPSBloomVPS Hosting Provider

    Curious how those are dedicated threads? There are only 20 threads on that processor so if they are dedicated then the total revenue on that server is less than $35.

    Abby @ bloomvps.com | Gaming-Grade Virtual Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers | DDoS protection | Ryzen 9 Dedicated CPU $3/GB

  • @BloomVPS said:
    Curious how those are dedicated threads? There are only 20 threads on that processor so if they are dedicated then the total revenue on that server is less than $35.

    I'm sure the provider could go into more detail but here's my analysis at least.

    That's actually dual CPU so 40 threads. They ran a promo with limited number of dedicated 2core, 4core (thread) options with really minimal pricing between. The 4core option sold out fast so they probably only provisioned very few of those and were more meant to catch the eye. The 2core was my guess more plentiful and only about $1 less at $5ish a month. The promo is also for now at least over and they've gained a ton of traction from it.

    But I agree it's margin razor thin for sure

  • BloomVPSBloomVPS Hosting Provider

    @sureiam said:

    @BloomVPS said:
    Curious how those are dedicated threads? There are only 20 threads on that processor so if they are dedicated then the total revenue on that server is less than $35.

    I'm sure the provider could go into more detail but here's my analysis at least.

    That's actually dual CPU so 40 threads. They ran a promo with limited number of dedicated 2core, 4core (thread) options with really minimal pricing between. The 4core option sold out fast so they probably only provisioned very few of those and were more meant to catch the eye. The 2core was my guess more plentiful and only about $1 less at $5ish a month. The promo is also for now at least over and they've gained a ton of traction from it.

    But I agree it's margin razor thin for sure

    Ah the double CPU definitely makes it less shocking but agreed margins must be thin.

    Abby @ bloomvps.com | Gaming-Grade Virtual Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers | DDoS protection | Ryzen 9 Dedicated CPU $3/GB

  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @Unixfy said: Let me know what you think!

    As a native English speaker, it amazes me how much work non-native English speakers do to get along in English! I've tried to learn a bit of French, Spanish, and Chinese. It just blows me over to imagine what I would have to do to set up a website in any of these three which I know a little bit or any other non-English languages.

    The thought crossed my mind to ask Hotlineservers if they wanted a little help with their English.

    I like your blog and your personal website, Alex! There is a sense of design which is not overdone. Your English is pretty good, too! :)

    Do you know wenyanwen and guwen? Whenever I try to learn a character and understand its etymology, I get all confused. :) Luckily, I forget everything by the next morning. :)

    Someday maybe somebody will explain to me why it was considered okay to simplify "love" by removing "heart." I appreciate that more people (but not me) can read when the characters are simpler, but removing the "heart" from "love" seems a bit too much. :)

    Best wishes from Mexico!

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy

    Old guy! Happy customer of OVH. Tom, not Oles! :-)
    Purveyor of fast-as-metal LXC VPSes

  • @Not_Oles said: I like your blog and your personal website, Alex! There is a sense of design which is not overdone. Your English is pretty good, too!

    Thank you very much! I have been speaking English for a long time (since I was quite young) so that's why :)

    @Not_Oles said: Do you know wenyanwen and guwen? Whenever I try to learn a character and understand its etymology, I get all confused. Luckily, I forget everything by the next morning.

    Unfortunately my Chinese is not good, I can't read or write it (apart from basics like 1-10). :(

    Thank you for your comment :heart:

  • Im on the same boat with OP.

    Love the service, only had to contact them once tho, to get the free DA. Really nice perk. Got the 8GB one with the promotion. Cant complain at all at that price.

    Now to the English part, Ive received a few emails from them (about the Miami node) and to be fair, you can understand what they want to say but the wording and spell checking wouldnt hurt either :)

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy

    I swear to drunk Im not god

  • Nice and clean review.

    Well done.

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy

    Dictionary Word Domain Auction | IT-Related Domains Auction
    Brandable VM/VPS Hosting Domains For Sale!

  • @Unixfy bench all the locations please. Especially the Europe and Ryzen ones for comparison.

    Perhaps @hotlineservers can sponsor you, or just think of it as an investment for your blog :smile:

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • I have Montreal, so if you need can give temp access. 🙂

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy

    You have been invited to experience the Waking Up app for free. The app is unlocked for one month. Enjoy.
    https://share.wakingup.com/1cb1d7 (extra signature line removed)

  • @bibble said: Perhaps @hotlineservers can sponsor you, or just think of it as an investment for your blog

    Good idea - I'll ask Hotlineservers :)

    @Iroshan464 said: I have Montreal, so if you need can give temp access. 🙂

    Sent you a PM. Thanks very much!

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited July 2

    @Unixfy said:

    Good idea - I'll ask Hotlineservers :)

    See what you started... ? :-)

    Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • OujiOuji OG
    edited July 2

    I can provide a bench for the Miami Ryzen server, just let me know. I think one can also be found in the dedicated benchmark threads.

    EDIT: Here it goes.

    YABS

    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    
    Mon 08 Jun 2020 08:06:55 PM EDT
    
    Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 3792.874 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 7.7Gi
    Swap       : 1.0Gi
    Disk       : 157G
    
    fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 361.03 MB/s  (90.2k) | 2.19 GB/s    (34.2k)
    Write      | 361.99 MB/s  (90.4k) | 2.20 GB/s    (34.4k)
    Total      | 723.03 MB/s (180.7k) | 4.39 GB/s    (68.6k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ---- 
    Read       | 1.05 GB/s     (2.0k) | 906.86 MB/s    (885)
    Write      | 1.11 GB/s     (2.1k) | 967.26 MB/s    (944)
    Total      | 2.16 GB/s     (4.2k) | 1.87 GB/s     (1.8k)
    
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                              |                           |                 |                
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 839 Mbits/sec   | 1.65 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 716 Mbits/sec   | 1.72 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 841 Mbits/sec   | 1.23 Gbits/sec 
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 271 Mbits/sec   | 1.48 Gbits/sec 
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 446 Mbits/sec   | 328 Mbits/sec  
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 562 Mbits/sec   | 834 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 1.64 Gbits/sec  | 3.02 Gbits/sec 
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 1.65 Gbits/sec  | 4.22 Gbits/sec 
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 892 Mbits/sec   | 2.68 Gbits/sec 
    
    Performing Geekbench 5 benchmark test. This may take a couple minutes to completGeekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    ---------------------------------
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1379                          
    Multi Core      | 4561                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2457412
    

    Monster bench

     Region: Global  https://bench.monster v.1.5.0 2020-01-11 
     Usage : curl -LsO bench.monster/speedtest.sh; bash speedtest.sh -Global
    
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     OS           : Debian GNU/Linux 10 (64 Bit)
     Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.19.0-5-amd64
     CPU Model    : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
     CPU Cores    : 4 @ 3792.874 MHz x86_64 512 KB Cache
     CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Enabled
     Load Average : 0.10, 0.22, 0.11
     Total Space  : 157G (3.0G ~3% used)
     Total RAM    : 7878 MB (72 MB + 95 MB Buff in use)
     Total SWAP   : 1022 MB (0 MB in use)
     Uptime       : 0 days 6:35
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     ASN & ISP    : AS23470, ReliableSite.Net LLC
     Organization : ReliableSite.Net LLC
     Location     : Miami, United States / US
     Region       : Florida
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    
     ## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:
    
      Single Core : 5771  (EXCELLENT)
       Multi Core : 18234
    
     ## IO Test
    
     CPU Speed:
        bzip2     : 142 MB/s
       sha256     : 287 MB/s
       md5sum     : 681 MB/s
    
     RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 3174.4 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 10717.9 MB/s
    
     Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 596 MB/s
       2nd run    : 468 MB/s
       3rd run    : 483 MB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 515.7 MB/s
    
     ## Global Speedtest
    
     Location                       Upload           Download         Ping   
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Speedtest.net                  22.05 Mbit/s     154.28 Mbit/s   * 218.302 ms
     Singapore (FirstMedia)         18.67 Mbit/s     21.57 Mbit/s    232.470 ms
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    
    Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • Happy independence day! I have posted my benchmark of Hotlineservers's Montreal location, which was kindly loaned to me by @Iroshan464
    Check it out here: https://blog.unixfy.net/hotlineservers-benchmark-8gb-montreal/

    Thanked by (3)vyas Iroshan464 Ouji
  • OujiOuji OG
    edited July 4

    @Unixfy said: Happy independence day! I have posted my benchmark of Hotlineservers's Montreal location, which was kindly loaned to me by @Iroshan464

    How long would you take to run all tests? I can lend my Ryzen Miami as well =)

    Thanked by (1)bibble
  • @Ouji said: How long would you take to run all tests? I can lend my Ryzen Miami as well

    It took me about 30 minutes - but I was doing it while a bit distracted. :)

    If you (or anyone else) is interested in loaning me a server for benchmarks, please add my public key (available here: https://unixfy.s3.amazonaws.com/pubkey.txt) and send me a PM.

  • @Not_Oles said:
    Someday maybe somebody will explain to me why it was considered okay to simplify "love" by removing "heart." I appreciate that more people (but not me) can read when the characters are simpler, but removing the "heart" from "love" seems a bit too much. :)

    It's used as a weapon to show that "commies are bad"!

    Truth is, people have been writing the "heartless love" since at least the 1200s as a shortcut.

    Chinese characters in today's form, is "just is" and don't carry any pictographical meaning anymore like their predecessors do.

    Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

    The all seeing eye sees everything...

  • Thanks to the generosity of @Ouji , I was able to perform a benchmark on the Miami location, with awesome Ryzen 3900X CPUs. The performance is fantastic (for the most part), take a look: https://blog.unixfy.net/hotlineservers-benchmark-8gb-ryzen-miami/

    Thanked by (2)Ouji bibble
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @terrorgen said: Truth is, people have been writing the "heartless love" since at least the 1200s as a shortcut.

    Yeah, got it! I had understood generally that many of the character simplifications were based on long established shortcuts, but I wasn't aware that heartless love was one of these.

    I have asked quite a few people about this particular shortcut, and nobody of those I asked said that heartless love was long established.

    Thanks for taking time to help me understand one Chinese character better! I really appreciate it!

    And, by the way, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that anybody was "bad."

    Old guy! Happy customer of OVH. Tom, not Oles! :-)
    Purveyor of fast-as-metal LXC VPSes

  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @Not_Oles said: The thought crossed my mind to ask Hotlineservers if they wanted a little help with their English.

    @hotlineservers No strings attached. :)

    Old guy! Happy customer of OVH. Tom, not Oles! :-)
    Purveyor of fast-as-metal LXC VPSes

  • @Not_Oles said:

    @terrorgen said: Truth is, people have been writing the "heartless love" since at least the 1200s as a shortcut.

    Yeah, got it! I had understood generally that many of the character simplifications were based on long established shortcuts, but I wasn't aware that heartless love was one of these.

    I have asked quite a few people about this particular shortcut, and nobody of those I asked said that heartless love was long established.

    Thanks for taking time to help me understand one Chinese character better! I really appreciate it!

    And, by the way, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that anybody was "bad."

    Oh no, I don't think you do. It is the people who put out the message.

    "Love" without "heart"
    "Relatives" that don't "meet"
    "Bread" without "wheat"
    "Mentor" without "moral"

    See, commies are bad!

    Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Abdullah

    The all seeing eye sees everything...

  • Amazing support from Bryan.

    Thanked by (2)hotlineservers Ouji

    Watch the best Homemade Amateur Videos on xFilm.me. Watch million of Homemade Amateur Videos for free in HD quality movies.

  • As a native speaker I haven't really caught anything in support conversations that lead me to believe their English was poor. Got my VPS yesterday though and so far super impressed. Gonna put it through its paces over the next few days

    Thanked by (1)hotlineservers
  • Forgot to tell, but +1 on Bryan's support. Really top notch so far.

    Thanked by (1)hotlineservers
  • ouvounouvoun OG
    edited July 7

    Hmm with 50% off that’s a...pretty insane deal. Reminds me of the HostD*C deals back in the day, which makes me question the sustainability of Hotline. With that said, I’m always down for some spicy Ryzen servers so I’ll be keeping one eye open.

    Great review, by the way!

    It don’t be like it is until it do.

Sign In or Register to comment.