Lowend anycast-as-a-service or geo+anycast+API DNS
Interested in hearing ideas about the following:
DNS service with anycast, with GeoDNS, updateable via REST API, around $5/mo mark.
Considered but not suitable:
- I do/will not use Cloudflare for anything.
- I've been using NS1's free plan and it has been great for several years, but they limit it to one filter chain (so can't do both IPv4 and IPv6) and 0.5M queries. I'm starting to outgrow that, and their lowest paid plan is $45/mo.
- Rage4 GeoDNS plans start 20 Euro/month; too expensive.
- Route53 is OK. Health check costs start to add up for multiple endpoints; API is painful; and I prefer to support smaller businesses. But it is within my target price range.
- Constellix is probably closest to what I'm looking for at the moment, although more costly than Route 53 and API still isn't fantastic (at least vs NS1).
Very happy to run my own DNS, so have also considered anycast-as-a-service, however:
- BuyVM's POPs are limited, and if one VM goes down there's no way of removing that endpoint, meaning users in that region get pointed to a black hole (unless I'm missing something). @Francisco
- Rage4 has good POPs and (as I understand it) the ability to add/remove nodes on the fly. But their plans are overkill for me. I don't need 100GB/mo and 25 Euro is way too much. @gbshouse
- Ditto for @wdmg. 2TB for $30/mo is way in excess of what I'd need.
So maybe anycast-as-a-service just isn't for me, which is fair enough (not looking for a free ride). In that case I think my options are Route53 or Constellix, but wanted to see whether I'm missing anything.