All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@vyas said:

b. A slight twist on bikegermlin's suggestion:
    use elementor (or any other page builder) to create the homepage/landing page, contact, about, etc.
    blog ideally set up on a subdomain. With only the theme, no pagebuilder.

Elementor, from what I could test, does not measurably affect the performance of pages where it is not used. So I suppose it can be used just for the landing page(s), without the need for a separate WP installation.

Some day we can have a conversion on the pros and cons creating static pages from pagebuilders to improve speeds, reduce security issues, etc. (duh! Why not use a html template instead?)

I used some hand-written pages in combination with WordPress - it works.
    One can also use Publii, or similar tool to build a website, or only some pages.
    You can also create a whole website - either "manually", or using some static-website creating tool.

All that can be set to work wonderfully. In terms of speed - I would say that even a well optimized WP site, with caching, CDN and the lot, can often be a bit slower, and put a bit more load on a server (per visitor) compared to a static website.

And there is no database to hack. :)

However, WP makes editing/updating, and adding new content, a lot simpler. Faster. More convenient.
    Also, if you choose your plugins wisely, you can get a lot of help from those, sometimes even free of any charge. Help with SEO, or a booking application for your service - no problem!
    You want to allow 2-way communication, without limiting yourself to an email. Website comments for example. WP does that - for free, out of the box. Implementing that on a static HTML website is not as simple, and usually costs some money (Disquss and the likes, correct me if I'm wrong).

on a separate note:
    @bikegremlin do you have the brizy - WP Plan? or the cloud version?
    Have you tried brizy + blocksy?

For Brizy - haven't yet given it a try myself. It is highly recommended, and has a lifetime offer - so it's on my to-do list for a spin.

P.S. For a full disclaimer:
    I wouldn't call myself a "WP expert". On a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 is a top class expert, and 1 is a person who just managed to install WP, I'm somewhere around 3, maaaybe 3+ (based on my assessment).

I'm fine with HTML, basic CSS knowledge, and practically beginner level PHP knowledge (knowledge of some other programs, and all the basics - algorithms etc, does help, but I never really gave it some effort, just edited existing google'd code when I needed something done).
    Still far from writing my own themes and plugins. Even far from a 1000 tested plugins, or 100 tested themes.
    I primarily just learned what I needed to in order to keep my (cycling) website(s) going, being stable, secure, and loading fast.

Yes, did a few other websites on the way, still do (when the good experienced developers are too busy, and I feel bad about turning a project down, and it is something I think I can manage). But compared to the knowledge and experience of some really good developers I've met - it's far, far behind them. And they still need learning (stuff changes really quickly). :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@localhost said:
    Thank you so much @vyas @bikegremlin and @Ympker

This is lots of helpful information... I am going to bite Divi, I feel its a no-brainer.

I am still trying to see if I should get GeneratePress/ Blocksy/ Kadence/ Brizy/ Elementor... May be I need to slow down and take a breath.....

Happy to help :) Enjoy!

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@vyas
    Can you please suggest a wp premium theme for Travel agency? Mostly for air ticketing..
    Thank you in advance.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• Anyone try quic.cloud CDN feature? How is the performance compared to Cloudflare?

• @Intelpentium0 said:
    @vyas
    Can you please suggest a wp premium theme for Travel agency? Mostly for air ticketing..
    Thank you in advance.

Greetings! I can think of these two right away

https://demo.creativethemes.com/blocksy/travel/

https://generatepress.com/site-library/

https://themeisle.com/demo/?theme=Travel Blog

@Coffee said:
    Anyone try quic.cloud CDN feature? How is the performance compared to Cloudflare?

Indeed !

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    @vyas
    Thank you in advance.

Greetings! I can think of these two right away

https://demo.creativethemes.com/blocksy/travel/

https://generatepress.com/site-library/

https://themeisle.com/demo/?theme=Travel Blog

@Coffee said:
    Anyone try quic.cloud CDN feature? How is the performance compared to Cloudflare?

Indeed !

I thought quic.cloud is paid service only. But yeah, I will try their Litespeed free quota on @MikePT shared hosting. Thank you @vyas

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• Any suggestions on best way to create a site/ page to sell domains - with probable Escrow integration? I am thinking WP may be quickest?

Sort of a feedback request. Here's a link of a "review/feedback" for my cycling website (link should start at 945 seconds - 15:45 minutes, and the part on my website lasts for about one minute):

The website in question:
    https://bike.bikegremlin.com/

My questions:
    1) Confirm (or not) that it's difficult to navigate and figure out where the contents are.
    2) I know it looks old fashioned, but not sure how exactly to re-style it to remain easy to read, while looking "more modern". Not really sure if it should be made to look more modern.
    3) Any other constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Looking for the ways to improve, so primarily seeking all the negative stuff - critical feedback.

I'm totally "blind" when it comes to design, colours etc. "Old school website, I would change design right away" is fine - but without a how, with an example - I'm pretty much stuck. :) It's not 1st thing on my list, but I suppose it should be considered - if it is valid.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Chievo

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:
    Sort of a feedback request. Here's a link of a "review/feedback" for my cycling website (link should start at 945 seconds - 15:45 minutes, and the part on my website lasts for about one minute):

The website in question:

My questions:
    1) Confirm (or not) that it's difficult to navigate and figure out where the contents are.
    2) I know it looks old fashioned, but not sure how exactly to re-style it to remain easy to read, while looking "more modern". Not really sure if it should be made to look more modern.

Looking for the ways to improve, so primarily seeking all the negative stuff - critical feedback.

I'm totally "blind" when it comes to design, colours etc. "Old school website, I would change design right away" is fine - but without a how, with an example - I'm pretty much stuck. :) It's not 1st thing on my list, but I suppose it should be considered - if it is valid.

Hi bikegremlin!
    1) your website is clear( could be improved yes like everything)
    2) well i would give you a draft today (16:00 aprox) done on a paper or photoshop (if i have more time) what could be done and simplified. I guess your home page could be "more organized" in sections. You are using the menu for that but may be should be easier to do it with some simple sections etc ( it is my personal opinion it is subjective and i am not s pro). Well after doing you could try plan A vs B and see the interactions here or asking some friends or whatsever
    3) Design is subjective it is like everythig imagine if we all like the same cars the same colors and the same designs. Same houses etc.

Pd. I have not got the same impression like that person. Using just the menu is enough to see what it is about in 5 seconds

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

edited December 2020

@Chievo said:

@bikegremlin said:

The website in question:

My questions:

Hi bikegremlin!
    2) well i would give you a draft today (16:00 aprox) done on a paper or photoshop (if i have more time) what could be done and simplified. I guess your home page could be "more organized" in sections. You are using the menu for that but may be should be easier to do it with some simple sections etc ( it is my personal opinion it is subjective and i am not s pro). Well after doing you could try plan A vs B and see the interactions here or asking some friends or whatsever
    3) Design is subjective it is like everythig imagine if we all like the same cars the same colors and the same designs. Same houses etc.

It's no rush at all.

Like I said - I wouldn't trust my opinion on whether it looks good. Same goes for most of my friends. We're all "technical", but not very visual. Or just plain idiots. :)

But I'd be happy to try your suggested layout, and ask for comparison/opinions on that.

Pd. I have not got the same impression like that person. Using just the menu is enough to see what it is about in 5 seconds

I suppose top menu is a good idea. But what you said about the front page sections/layout, does sound a bit like what Nemanja complained about. All that's left is to figure out how exactly to format it.

Is the black background OK (I find it easier on the eyes, especially at night, when not the whole screen is shining white)?
    Colour choice of blue and white (again, for me black text on a white background works best if I wish to read a lot - and the website is about long, detailed explanations)?

Are the fonts used easy to read? Too small? Too large?

• @bikegremlin said:

@Chievo said:

@bikegremlin said:

The website in question:

My questions:

Hi bikegremlin!

It's no rush at all.

Like I said - I wouldn't trust my opinion on whether it looks good. Same goes for most of my friends. We're all "technical", but not very visual. Or just plain idiots. :)

But I'd be happy to try your suggested layout, and ask for comparison/opinions on that.

I suppose top menu is a good idea. But what you said about the front page sections/layout, does sound a bit like what Nemanja complained about. All that's left is to figure out how exactly to format it.

Is the black background OK (I find it easier on the eyes, especially at night, when not the whole screen is shining white)?
    Colour choice of blue and white (again, for me black text on a white background works best if I wish to read a lot - and the website is about long, detailed explanations)?

Are the fonts used easy to read? Too small? Too large?

Hi ! Well no problem i have free time between 14:00-17:00 so no problem at all. Just some lunch and after that some time to do it on photoshop. A basic draft.just to give you an alternative or something to work with it.

I have not seen the black background. It is white background with black letters for me. Do you have a night mode i do not see it where is it? Yes i prefer the black font on white background works pretty well.
    Fonts are OK for me. May be you should organize it better. Just give me some time and i would explain you my vision with the draft. ( i have 2 more patients in 7 minutes so sorry i do not have time right now)

Dentistry is my passion

I meant the area around the page content. It's all put on a "black canvas" so to speak.

• @bikegremlin said: 2) I know it looks old fashioned, but not sure how exactly to re-style it to remain easy to read, while looking "more modern". Not really sure if it should be made to look more modern.

I'm no designer, but I believe the reason why it doesn't look modern is because you have a modular design with small blocks/rectangles here and there where you split up different things like the menus and content. Nowadays, it's common to have just a big chunk of empty space or having some image fit in with the design. I personally think there's no problem with this kind of site layout but the black background is kinda ugly imo

@bibi said:

@bikegremlin said: 2) I know it looks old fashioned, but not sure how exactly to re-style it to remain easy to read, while looking "more modern". Not really sure if it should be made to look more modern.

I'm no designer, but I believe the reason why it doesn't look modern is because you have a modular design with small blocks/rectangles here and there where you split up different things like the menus and content. Nowadays, it's common to have just a big chunk of empty space or having some image fit in with the design. I personally think there's no problem with this kind of site layout but the black background is kinda ugly imo

Thanks. What's your take on light-gray. Like this:
    https://test1.bikegremlin.com/

I personally like the black a lot more, but I wouldn't take my opinion seriously when it comes to visual design. :)

• @bikegremlin said: I personally like the black a lot more

Go with whatever you like since it's your own website after all. I don't think there is a simple fix to make your website 'modern-looking', but if the design is really bugging you, I would try to update the homepage a bit. Instead of having a chunk of text explaining your site and having the default menus on the right, make your own custom homepage.

• ChievoChievo OG
    edited December 2020

Hi @bikegremlin ! Here you have my draft . It is just an example . I have selected a gradient between 3 colors and used it in ¨the draft page¨. The idea is pretty simple the home page usually it is really simple and has many sections. Do not put too many sections it is better to create just 3-6 buttons on it and after clicking you could have more configuration pages. To explain it with an example the website is a city. So the name and what appears should be connected : bikes .
    After that we have many homes ( sections ) And after clicking the homes ( sections) You can find the room that you are looking for. For a home page i am using something similar to the design with some photos etc and some sections. I avoid to put the text on the main home page it is better to publish it like mission or whatsever and make it main if you wish like in the example .

Colors are random , gradients works pretty well . After using 1 gradient you can select 3-4 colors and use it in the website. WHich colors it is up to you . It is better to use the color scheme in the menu as well. and publish the colors with the menu items . I have not done it but i guess it could be done. Another thing , is to use different menus per page . A simplified menu for the home page etc. And after selecting the mechanic section the menu would be different than the review section etc

pd. I know that the menu does not fit in the color scheme but it is one of my staging website so sorry about that.

imagebikegremlin11" alt="" title="" />
    imagebikegremlin12" alt="" title="" />
    imagebikegremlin13" alt="" title="" />

Thanked by (3)Ympker bikegremlin Naix

Dentistry is my passion

• nicely done @Chievo

Thanked by (1)Chievo

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Chievo said:
    Hi @bikegremlin ! Here you have my draft . It is just an example . I have selected a gradient between 3 colors and used it in ¨the draft page¨. The idea is pretty simple the home page usually it is really simple and has many sections. Do not put too many sections it is better to create just 3-6 buttons on it and after clicking you could have more configuration pages. To explain it with an example the website is a city. So the name and what appears should be connected : bikes .
    After that we have many homes ( sections ) And after clicking the homes ( sections) You can find the room that you are looking for. For a home page i am using something similar to the design with some photos etc and some sections. I avoid to put the text on the main home page it is better to publish it like mission or whatsever and make it main if you wish like in the example .

Colors are random , gradients works pretty well . After using 1 gradient you can select 3-4 colors and use it in the website. WHich colors it is up to you . It is better to use the color scheme in the menu as well. and publish the colors with the menu items . I have not done it but i guess it could be done. Another thing , is to use different menus per page . A simplified menu for the home page etc. And after selecting the mechanic section the menu would be different than the review section etc

pd. I know that the menu does not fit in the color scheme but it is one of my staging website so sorry about that.

imagebikegremlin11" alt="" title="" />
    imagebikegremlin12" alt="" title="" />
    imagebikegremlin13" alt="" title="" />

When will this crazy dentist stop surprising me <3

Way to go @Chievo !

Thanked by (2)Chievo bikegremlin
  • @vyas said:
    nicely done @Chievo

Thanks vyas it is just a draft to work bikegremlin . If i have had more time i could made it more ¨bike style¨but for a draft it is OK just for the general idea.
    Thanks @Ympker ! Well it is photoshop another way is to create it on the website. Visual composer is good for that . Could be done something similar .

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@vyas said:
    nicely done @Chievo

Thanks vyas it is just a draft to work bikegremlin . If i have had more time i could made it more ¨bike style¨but for a draft it is OK just for the general idea.
    Thanks @Ympker ! Well it is photoshop another way is to create it on the website. Visual composer is good for that . Could be done something similar .

And we all know dentistry is just a front for the potassium smuggling operation, using pidgeons...
    :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker Chievo

• @bikegremlin said:

@Chievo said:

@vyas said:
    nicely done @Chievo

And we all know dentistry is just a front for the potassium smuggling operation, using pidgeons...

Dentistry is my love . smuggling teeth and checking new materials + buying books in japanese and trying to translate it to spanish/english. This is what hurts my pocket. Some rakia bikegremlin? Smuggling operations of japanese materials using german austrian providers ;) Shhhhhh it is a secret

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Chievo said:

@vyas said:
    nicely done @Chievo

Dentistry is my love . smuggling teeth and checking new materials + buying books in japanese and trying to translate it to spanish/english. This is what hurts my pocket. Some rakia bikegremlin? Smuggling operations of japanese materials using german austrian providers ;) Shhhhhh it is a secret

Rakija always!
    It felt really bad last time I got sober.

P.S. Thank you very much for the design/layout. It is some food for thought.

Thanked by (1)Chievo

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

Captain Core WordPress Mangement

CaptainCore is an open source toolkit for managing WordPress sites via SSH & WP-CLI.
    captaincore.io

Interesting concept

https://github.com/CaptainCore/captaincore-cli

Thanked by (1)Matt247

• Hello, any suggestions for a free theme or plugin to sell domains? Thanks!

• I may be naive, but..
    I never understood the lure of Free when trying to sell something and making money. Therefore sorry, no idea.

• @vyas said:
    I may be naive, but..
    I never understood the lure of Free when trying to sell something and making money. Therefore sorry, no idea.

There is typically something free available. I am not against paying for something genuinely good piece of code.

Should have mentioned either free or paid... if it can connect with escrow that will be awesome!

Thanks.

• **Welcome to Elementor Cloud **

• Wordpress 5.6 and secur implications

Rather self serving blog post by Wordfence but otherwise a good read.

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2020/12/wordpress-5-6-introduces-a-new-risk-to-your-site-what-to-do

• deankdeank OG
    edited December 2020

Off topic, but been trying out Grav for a few weeks now.

This ain't for WordPress users. Stay away. It is okay but 99.666% not for Wordpress users who look for ease of use.

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt beagle

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• So, I tried Elementor as I want to use WP for a couple of sites to save time. Installed the Hello theme checked performance, seemed ok.

Then made a header, footer, homepage and the like.

Is that normal? No idea with these for all my years in hosting Wordpress has never really been something I have paid attention to.

I mean even on accessing the site there is a very clear and annoying delay before the page shows up, talking 2 seconds and I hate that. If it's normal for Elementor to create that hit is there anything I can do to improve page load?