All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• edited January 2021

@vyas said: You will have to update the domain can do so via wp-config or wp dashboard general menu

I haven't tested this with updraft plus, but you may be unable to access your dashboard if you try to move sites like that. Especially if you have https and redirects to https. So you will have to edit the wp-config file, and even if somehow that breaks, you can edit the domain entries in your database. Anyway, I believe with updraft plus you can choose what files to backup/restore. If you only restore your files and database without replacing wp-config, everything should work as-is.

However, note that the free versions of all these backup plugins do not encrypt database backups. Some of the paid versions DO NOT have the encryption option as well. (Updraft plus has it) The problem with not encrypting your database backups is that if anyone gains access to your backups, they pretty much see ALL your data anywhere since almost everything is in plain text. For example, as far as I am aware, most of the wordpress plugins that send emails will store your email credentials in plain text. The passwords of all the members on your site would be stored in SHA256 which is almost the same thing as plain text unless your password is long.

I think it's not really a big deal of a security risk if you don't have members in your site or if you don't have woocommerce

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

Though, AIO WP Migration has a very shady pricing policy. The only way I could find a price was by first installing the plugin, and then it would take me to the site page with prices (still unclear - what is the difference between my own sites, and company - the number, volume, domain?!). Very shady.

Updraft plus is clear (and rather expensive - perhaps even more than the AIO).

While WP CLI requires SSH access - which requires a static IP with most hosting providers... which costs money every month.

"Which ever way you turn, your ass is always at the back" is a local saying. :)

Free version of Updraft Plud is enough for me, I don't need to upload to cloud storage.

Can it clone a site from dev.example.com on server one, to www.example.com on server two?

Totally! Just did it this morning myself

Backup from server A to gDrive (default for free version).
    Restore to server B from same gDrive

Even if domain is changed? Like dev.x.com to www.x.com?

You will have to update the domain can do so via wp-config or wp dashboard general menu

Still requires a "manual" DB search/replace. Which beats the point of using a plugin IMO - since that's the very thing I was trying to avoid - since it doesn't seem to "get" everything. 99.99%, but not everything.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

Though, AIO WP Migration has a very shady pricing policy. The only way I could find a price was by first installing the plugin, and then it would take me to the site page with prices (still unclear - what is the difference between my own sites, and company - the number, volume, domain?!). Very shady.

While WP CLI requires SSH access - which requires a static IP with most hosting providers... which costs money every month.

Free version of Updraft Plud is enough for me, I don't need to upload to cloud storage.

Can it clone a site from dev.example.com on server one, to www.example.com on server two?

You will have to update the domain can do so via wp-config or wp dashboard general menu

Still requires a "manual" DB search/replace. Which beats the point of using a plugin IMO - since that's the very thing I was trying to avoid - since it doesn't seem to "get" everything. 99.99%, but not everything.

You get what you pay for- the migration seems to be a premium/ paid feature. Seems to be rather poorly written, but essentially I think that's what it is doing.
    https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

@bibi said:

@vyas said: You will have to update the domain can do so via wp-config or wp dashboard general menu

I haven't tested this with updraft plus, but you may be unable to access your dashboard if you try to move sites like that. Especially if you have https and redirects to https. So you will have to edit the wp-config file, and even if somehow that breaks, you can edit the domain entries in your database. Anyway, I believe with updraft plus you can choose what files to backup/restore. If you only restore your files and database without replacing wp-config, everything should work as-is.

However, note that the free versions of all these backup plugins do not encrypt database backups. Some of the paid versions DO NOT have the encryption option as well. (Updraft plus has it) The problem with not encrypting your database backups is that if anyone gains access to your backups, they pretty much see ALL your data anywhere since almost everything is in plain text. For example, as far as I am aware, most of the wordpress plugins that send emails will store your email credentials in plain text. The passwords of all the members on your site would be stored in SHA256 which is almost the same thing as plain text unless your password is long.

I think it's not really a big deal of a security risk if you don't have members in your site or if you don't have woocommerce

True that. I would not rely on a plugin for migration. Typically use Gridpane for such situations.

edited January 2021

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

Iirc Updraft just prompts you about this when restoring and does it all automatically. Never had to manually change wp config.

I just got a notification: "You are doing a cloning / domain change (you idiot!), so pay some moneys for our migration add-on tool, or it won't work."

And it didn't.

~~But what does work is this:

On the destination server:
    1. Create a new Softaculous wp install, for the final destination where you wish to clone.
    2. Create a staging copy of that
    3. Install Updraft pluss on the staging copy
    4. Copy all the updraft backups to the updraft folder of that staging site
    5. Start restoration process
    6. Ignore the warning~~

Or, apparently, not. :)

Now you get a fucked up staging site. But don't let that get you down. Just click on "push to live" option within Softaculous. It manages to pull it off and all seems to work properly. :)

If you like: delete staging site. Create a new one, from the (for) now properly working main one.

I'd be more willing to pay if they actually let me test and confirm their plugin works.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

edited January 2021

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

You get what you pay for- the migration seems to be a premium/ paid feature. Seems to be rather poorly written, but essentially I think that's what it is doing.
    https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

@bibi said:

True that. I would not rely on a plugin for migration. Typically use Gridpane for such situations.

Passwords are stored in hash in the database.
    And - Easy WP SMTP plugin does encrypt your email password. So both @jarland and I can sleep peacefully. :)

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

Iirc Updraft just prompts you about this when restoring and does it all automatically. Never had to manually change wp config.

I just got a notification: "You are doing a cloning / domain change (you idiot!), so pay some moneys for our migration add-on tool, or it won't work."

And it didn't.

But what does work is this:

1. Create a new Softaculous wp install, for the final destination where you wish to clone.
    6. Ignore the warning

Now you get a fucked up staging site. But don't let that get you down. Just click on "push to live" option within Softaculous. It manages to pull it off and all seems to work properly. :)

If you like: delete staging site. Create a new one, from the (for) now properly working main one.

I'd be more willing to pay if they actually let me test and confirm their plugin works.

Hmm, I can't seem to be able to replicate this from my experience. E.g. I made an Updraft Backup on subdomain.mydomain.com , then fresh wp install on customerdomain.com . Installed Updraft Plus there. Uploaded backup. Restored. It worked. That was like 2?! months ago. No idea if they changed smth but for me it went smooth. I did not use Softaculous at all in the process, except for IONOS WP Installer for the fresh wp install.

Want me to try moving your site with aio wp? Make a backup first though just in case :)

Edit: seems like you managed the migration yourself so ignore the last part I said.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
    edited January 2021

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

And it didn't.

6. Ignore the warning

Hmm, I can't seem to be able to replicate this from my experience. E.g. I made an Updraft Backup on subdomain.mydomain.com , then fresh wp install on customerdomain.com . Installed Updraft Plus there. Uploaded backup. Restored. It worked. That was like 2?! months ago. No idea if they changed smth but for me it went smooth. I did not use Softaculous at all in the process, except for IONOS WP Installer for the fresh wp install.

Want me to try moving your site with aio wp? Make a backup first though just in case :)

I'd like to be able to do it myself - quickly, and as conveniently as possible. For when I need it.

With Softaculous not working on both MyW.pt (DirectAdmin), and HostMantis (cPanel) - suppose my options are either a plugin, or WP CLI. But both those options require paying some money.

However, if I am to pay some money, I'd rather put some effort into figuring out WP CLI, than rely on some plugin programmer(s).
    Avoiding using a plugin seems like a solution that is more reliable. Would use it if it were free (instead of paying extra for a dedicated IP for WP CLI), but if I have to pay...

Not in a rush, just had some time on my hands and thought - cool, I could sort this all out now, so I don't have to do it later.
    But it seems like the smartest thing to do is give it a month or so, and if Softaculous doesn't get working (not very optimistic), start figuring out WP CLI. It's been on my to-do list for a while now.

I am very glad now for using a separate email service (MXroute) and doing most stuff with .htaccess and child themes, instead of relying on plugins and web-host emails. At least a few things less to worry about.
    Cloudflare DNS also makes things a lot simpler - no nameserver changes, and waiting for propagation...

Thanked by (2)Ympker level6

edited January 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

And it didn't.

6. Ignore the warning

I'd like to be able to do it myself - quickly, and as conveniently as possible. For when I need it.

With Softaculous not working on both MyW.pt (DirectAdmin), and HostMantis (cPanel) - suppose my options are either a plugin, or WP CLI. But both those options require paying some money.

However, if I am to pay some money, I'd rather put some effort into figuring out WP CLI, than rely on some plugin programmer(s).
    Avoiding using a plugin seems like a solution that is more reliable. Would use it if it were free (instead of paying extra for a dedicated IP for WP CLI), but if I have to pay...

Not in a rush, just had some time on my hands and thought - cool, I could sort this all out now, so I don't have to do it later.
    But it seems like the smartest thing to do is give it a month or so, and if Softaculous doesn't get working (not very optimistic), start figuring out WP CLI. It's been on my to-do list for a while now.

I am very glad now for using a separate email service (MXroute) and doing most stuff with .htaccess and child themes, instead of relying on plugins and web-host emails. At least a few things less to worry about.
    Cloudflare DNS also makes things a lot simpler - no nameserver changes, and waiting for propagation...

Fair enough. AIO WP usually works with 2-3 clicks. Little hint on how you can give the free version a try regardless your website size.

1. Backup only the DTB with AIO WP (should be well within the free limit of 128MB?!).

2. Make a fresh WP Install on target host/domain.

3. Copy wp-content folder from source to target host via (S) FTP/Web and overwrite files.

4. Now all content files are set. Login to fresh WP Install on target host. Install AIO WP and import your DTB Backup you made with AIO WP (files are already there, remember?). It will rewrite all URLs and work flawlessly (from my experience).

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

And it didn't.

6. Ignore the warning

Fair enough. AIO WP usually works with 2-3 clicks. Little hint on how you can give the free version a try regardless your website size.

1. Backup only the DTB with AIO WP (should be well within the free limit of 128MB?!).

3. Copy wp-content folder from source to target host via (S) FTP/Web and overwrite files.

4. Now all content files are set. Login to fresh WP Install on target host. Install AIO WP and import your DTB Backup you made with AIO WP (files are already there, remember?). It will rewrite all URLs and work flawlessly (from my experience).

Thanks - just to confirm:
    this works even when changing domains?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

And it didn't.

6. Ignore the warning

Thanks - just to confirm:
    this works even when changing domains?

Last time I checked (some months ago), yes. As of like october?! I purchased Pro for the sake of convenience and use it ever since.

• edited January 2021

@bikegremlin said: And - Easy WP SMTP plugin does encrypt your email password.

And this is the same plugin which had vulnerabilities multiple times. I know because before I installed this plugin last year, I googled and found out it had a vulnerability the year before. Googling this plugin again today, I found out in december it had a vulnerability which allowed people to reset your admin password. This is not a plugin I would install :/

@bikegremlin said: However, if I am to pay some money, I'd rather put some effort into figuring out WP CLI, than rely on some plugin programmer(s).

Handling backups and migrations with things like rclone and mysqldump is not that complex. Editing wp-config is very easy as well. You can also be guaranteed there won't be any security vulnerabilities in your backup plugin since you won't need one.

Also, getting your dedicated ip or a storage server is likely going to be much cheaper than those backup plugins.

@bibi said:

@bikegremlin said: And - Easy WP SMTP plugin does encrypt your email password.

And this is the same plugin which had vulnerabilities multiple times. I know because before I installed this plugin last year, I googled and found out it had a vulnerability the year before. Googling this plugin again today, I found out in december it had a vulnerability which allowed people to reset your admin password. This is not a plugin I would install :/

If you look hard enough, I don't think you will find a plugin (or theme, or WP version) that hasn't had at least some vulnerabilities sometime. The more popular it is, the more likely it is to have their vulnerabilities figured out.

The good ones differ from the bad ones by having the vulnerabilities promplty patched (and by being well written, so they don' make the site run poorly).

@bikegremlin said: However, if I am to pay some money, I'd rather put some effort into figuring out WP CLI, than rely on some plugin programmer(s).

Handling backups and migrations with things like rclone and mysqldump is not that complex. Editing wp-config is very easy as well. You can also be guaranteed there won't be any security vulnerabilities in your backup plugin since you won't need one.

Also, getting your dedicated ip or a storage server is likely going to be much cheaper than those backup plugins.

mysqldump is simple.
    But editing all the paths is complicated. Because if doing a text-only search/replace, not everything gets done. Not with WordPress. To be more precise: in some, not very common cases, not everything gets done. So it's not a 100% reliable method.

For a static IP, I suppose paying a cheap VPN service that offers that (for extra bucks) is the way to go.
    Otherwise - I'd have to mess with a VPS, which is still beyond my knowledge level, and is another time-taking thing. That also costs (though probably less than VPN+static IP).

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@Ympker said:

You can change the AIO size limit for the .wpress file from PHP settings in DA.. I have gone as high as 768 MB for a 612 MB .wpress file.

@Smallweb, AU used for example here: (which DOES have a limiting factor of 128 MB memory for post_max_size)

Limiting factor will be lower of
    post_max_size 0r
    upload_max_size

And a useful read here:
    https://help.servmask.com/2018/10/27/how-to-increase-maximum-upload-file-size-in-wordpress/

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @bikegremlin said: The good ones differ from the bad ones by having the vulnerabilities promplty patched (and by being well written, so they don' make the site run poorly).

I agree with this, but another important factor is the type of vulnerability. The common ones usually are exploits related to file uploads or require logged in users. It's a problem if the vulnerability can be done by guests and gives you admin access easily.

@bikegremlin said: But editing all the paths is complicated. Because if doing a text-only search/replace, not everything gets done. Not with WordPress. To be more precise: in some, not very common cases, not everything gets done. So it's not a 100% reliable method.

I believe all you need to do is edit the wp-config.php and edit just the domain there. If it doesn't work, then all you have to do is edit the ONE entry for the domain inside the database. No need to edit everything, wordpress has its own rewrites.

Just wondering, does the AIO migration plugin have incremental backups/database encryption? I heard one-time payment so that has gotten me interested :p How much does it cost to have all features?

edited January 2021

@bibi said:

@bikegremlin said: The good ones differ from the bad ones by having the vulnerabilities promplty patched (and by being well written, so they don' make the site run poorly).

I agree with this, but another important factor is the type of vulnerability. The common ones usually are exploits related to file uploads or require logged in users. It's a problem if the vulnerability can be done by guests and gives you admin access easily.

And you assume that plugin coders who haven't been caught with blunders are more responsible? :)
    I understand that, but aren't that optimistic. It's all bullshit, and surprisingly chaotic for all I can tell ("fake it 'till you make it").

@bikegremlin said: But editing all the paths is complicated. Because if doing a text-only search/replace, not everything gets done. Not with WordPress. To be more precise: in some, not very common cases, not everything gets done. So it's not a 100% reliable method.

I believe all you need to do is edit the wp-config.php and edit just the domain there. If it doesn't work, then all you have to do is edit the ONE entry for the domain inside the database. No need to edit everything, wordpress has its own rewrites.

I'm afraid not. For WordPress, even if staying on the same domain, but changing directory structure (different user name if changing servers with the same control panel) can cause problems if DB search replace isn't done properly. And plain text search/replace doesn't do the job perfectly.
    At least in my experience. I wish it were not so, but it seems to be. :(

Just wondering, does the AIO migration plugin have incremental backups/database encryption? I heard one-time payment so that has gotten me interested :p How much does it cost to have all features?

@Ympker - I know you get a 10% of each copy sold, you answer this! :)
    Seriously - thank you all for the info and help.
    If you ever come to Serbia, beer and ćevapi are on me! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@bibi said:

@bikegremlin said: The good ones differ from the bad ones by having the vulnerabilities promplty patched (and by being well written, so they don' make the site run poorly).

And you assume that plugin coders who haven't been caught with blunders are more responsible? :)
    I understand that, but aren't that optimistic. It's all bullshit, and surprisingly chaotic for all I can tell ("fake it 'till you make it").

I'm afraid not. For WordPress, even if staying on the same domain, but changing directory structure (different user name if changing servers with the same control panel) can cause problems if DB search replace isn't done properly. And plain text search/replace doesn't do the job perfectly.
    At least in my experience. I wish it were not so, but it seems to be. :(

@Ympker - I know you get a 10% of each copy sold, you answer this! :)
    Seriously - thank you all for the info and help.
    If you ever come to Serbia, beer and ćevapi are on me! :)

Happy to help :) About encryption you'd probably best ask the support/sales. I will check next time I use it if I see an option for it.

Actually, I have an Erasmus Friend in Belgrad and wanted to visit them after Covid some time. I will happily let you know when I am headed that way :)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

okay.. all this discussion prompted me to do the following:

a. Set up two three sites.
    SmallWeb Au, SmallWeb NY, and Webhorizon, De (Myw.pt reseller)
    The 2 smallweb sites are subdomains of the same domain.
    (au.domainA.in and ny.domainA.in)
    and
    Webhorizon, De on a different domain
    (de.domainB.in)

All through CF, SSL enabled Via DA- LetsEncrypt.

The Au site had a mysterious 59 minutes, 58 seconds "downtime" around the time I was experimenting, so the Webhorizon, De site came to rescue.

b. Installed WP on each site. 5.5.5 on Smallwebs. Had to opt for 5.6 on Webhorizon, De, which had some interesting version choices for WP : 5.6 or next ver was 5.3.

c. Installed All In One WP Migration on each of the 3 sites

d. Uploaded a spare .wpress file on the two Smallwebs. Now I had two identical sites once the Au server was up.
    On Au, I added some more posts via .xml file from Tools --> Import
    Likewise on the NY site.

e. Exported the "hybrid AU" from
    au.domainA.in

and imported to

de.domainB.in

I did a full install - files, DB, media and all. Changed the domain from wp dashboard, so I have to identical sites:
    au.domainA.in and de.domainB.in

f. Since all 2 were Shared Hosting/ DA / Softaculous based installs, there was a limit of 128 MB on the for the .wpress site.

g. AIO WP worked well each time. I did have to reduce the file size to under 128 MB when exporting out of
    au.domainA.in

h. Created a staging site:
    staging.au.domainA.in , which is identical to

au.domainA.in

i. Might try with a DA export --> cPanel Import inc ase of bigger .wpress file. I recall a couple of months ago I could change settings on HM Singapore and import a 250 MB Plus file.

Total time taken : one coffee and 30 pushups.

Overall, I think UpdraftPlus is more efficient in the above process.

For same server (VPS), Webinoly works brilliantly, @Not_Oles knows the developer IIRC.. I need to buy him (rather both of them) a beer or two for being awesomene.

Some cool documentation here: https://webinoly.com/en/documentation/sites/

• edited January 2021

@bikegremlin said: I'm afraid not. For WordPress, even if staying on the same domain, but changing directory structure (different user name if changing servers with the same control panel) can cause problems if DB search replace isn't done properly. And plain text search/replace doesn't do the job perfectly.

At least in my experience. I wish it were not so, but it seems to be.

Unfortunately this is probably a problem related to shared hosting and softaculous... In which case these wordpress plugins might be your best option. Moving just your files and database should theoretically migrate your site properly provided your webserver is working. If I had to make a guess, the issue was probably due to you using your panel to import a database, which made it so your wp-config cannot locate your database. Otherwise, if your only goal is to migrate and change the subdomain, moving only the files + database and changing just the domain entry works. (And I suppose you have to edit wp-config to locate your database)

My best guess is that these migration plugins rewrite your database as-is so no new database is created and everything works with your softaculous install.

• @vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks.

It will redirect you to the old domain when you try to access the wp dashboard. Fastest way is just edit the url in the db.

Editing wp-config goes without saying.

But for database - problem occurs even when importing/exporting database using the Terminal.

mysqldump -p -u old_db_user old_database > database_export.sql
    and
    mysql -p -u new_db_user new_database < database_export.sql

Some more info (to me it's been interesting):

I saw a developer use WP CLI on a WP workshop in my city. I've been amazed with it.
    It's super fast, and powerful tool. Command prompt only, and you can mess things up if you don't watch what you're doing, but those who get the hang of it seem to not look back.

I went to another WP workshop where some folks from GoDaddy demonstrated their WP migration. Their job was migrating websites - all day, every day. Workshop was about WordPress migrations.
    They said that for the work they use some inhouse tools that can't be shared. :(

But they confirmed that text search/replace isn't reliable for WP - as I had noticed it causing some smaller problems on occasions.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@Mew said:

It will redirect you to the old domain when you try to access the wp dashboard. Fastest way is just edit the url in the db.

Hm. Maybe you are right. Been a while since I faced this issue. Had read up on Stackexchange (or similar) on how to resolve.

These days, I use Gridpane cloning (migration or clone) or Webinoly (same server, staging to live) and updraft for backups

• So AIO WP does cost money? The description only says it's open source, but I thought it was commercial ...
    I've only used manual method and a plugin called Duplicator (IIRC). Worked well.
    Then when I needed to migrate a site from standalone into a subdomain of a Multisite WP I checked out Updraft and others, but pricing were insane, so I ended up doing it manually.
    Only issue I've had with manual search&replace, is that I sometimes loose Theme customization (Appeance->Customize and Divi settings or similar for other themes).

From all the discussion above, I still don't know which tool/plugin is worth buying. (I'm about to duplicate a site from a host with max upload of 128 MB, so I guess I'll have to migrate files separately anyways ...)

• Ended up just doing:

Host A:
    - mysqldump
    - tar zcf
    - scp

Host B:
    - create db
    - tar zxf
    - mysql <dumpfile
    - vim wp-config
    - wp-cli search-replace

Worked flawlessly, it seems ...
    And not that much more work than installing plugin, creating backup, copying, installing restoring ...
    (WP-CLI worked better than the sed/search&replace in sql file I've used before.)

Thanked by (2)vyas bikegremlin
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@flips said:
    Ended up just doing:

Host A:
    - mysqldump
    - tar zcf
    - scp

Host B:
    - create db
    - tar zxf
    - mysql <dumpfile
    - vim wp-config
    - wp-cli search-replace

And not that much more work than installing plugin, creating backup, copying, installing restoring ...
    (WP-CLI worked better than the sed/search&replace in sql file I've used before.)

That’s how I learnt. Except in my case
    (Nano instead of vim, ftp download from A/upload to B )

Thanked by (1)flips

@flips said:
    Ended up just doing:

Host A:
    - mysqldump
    - tar zcf
    - scp

Host B:
    - create db
    - tar zxf
    - mysql <dumpfile
    - vim wp-config
    - wp-cli search-replace

That's the oldschool way I used to do. At some point I got convenient with AIO WP though.

Thanked by (1)flips
  • I really think Wordpress could be better designed/programmed in this regard. Why not use relative paths for everything that's local?
    ... anyways ... :# How much is AIO migration support? Seems Updraft is $69 ... B)

@flips said:
    I really think Wordpress could be better designed/programmed in this regard. Why not use relative paths for everything that's local?
    ... anyways ... :# How much is AIO migration support? Seems Updraft is $69 ... B)

WP started as an idiot-friendly tool.
    And then got pushed to be everything to everyone tool, and greatly influenced by the Automattic company (owned by one of the "founders"). Both these things have influenced some decisions that are greatly criticized by some experienced WP developers I've had the pleasure of talking to.

It has a lot of cons, along with all its pros. But, for me at least, it's still faster and simpler to use compared to alternatives: both when it comes to designing the visuals, and functionality, along with content editing & adding. But it is far from perfect, that's for sure.

• @bikegremlin said:

@flips said:
    I really think Wordpress could be better designed/programmed in this regard. Why not use relative paths for everything that's local?

WP started as an idiot-friendly tool.
    And then got pushed to be everything to everyone tool, and greatly influenced by the Automattic company (owned by one of the "founders"). Both these things have influenced some decisions that are greatly criticized by some experienced WP developers I've had the pleasure of talking to.

It has a lot of cons, along with all its pros. But, for me at least, it's still faster and simpler to use compared to alternatives: both when it comes to designing the visuals, and functionality, along with content editing & adding. But it is far from perfect, that's for sure.

It is called Chievo friendly. Wordpress had lot of paid plugins that make the life easier/ cheaper. Let s find bookly plugin which costs 200 euros and which comes with different addons. Well even a chievo like me could make it work without paying some xxx euros for a bespoke solution. Yes far from perfect but is working fine for small/medium size companies

Dentistry is my passion

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

While we are on the topic..
    5 websites backup for US Dollar 39.

https://appsumo.com/backupguard-wordpress-plugin/

If anyone interested, can send my aff link. Cheers

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited January 2021

@vyas said:
    While we are on the topic..
    5 websites backup for US Dollar 39.

https://appsumo.com/backupguard-wordpress-plugin/

If anyone interested, can send my aff link. Cheers

Doesn't look bad but seems to be a fairly unknown backup plugin (70k installs on wp plugin marketplace). Also no mention of GDPR compliance in privacy policy.

78$ for unlimited sites doesn't seem tol bad though. Might give the free plan a try first. However, with especially with Backup Plugins I usually like to settle with established, highly popular plugins. Even though BackupGuard has reviews ranging back to 7 years ago, somehow they only have 70k free installations, Updraft and AIO WP are in the millions. Ofc I can't speak for the paid/premium installs.