All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• @Ympker said:

@vyas said:
    While we are on the topic..
    5 websites backup for US Dollar 39.

https://appsumo.com/backupguard-wordpress-plugin/

If anyone interested, can send my aff link. Cheers

Doesn't look bad but seems to be a fairly unknown backup plugin (70k installs on wp plugin marketplace). Also no mention of GDPR compliance in privacy policy.

78$ for unlimited sites doesn't seem tol bad though.

It is unknown and also my first time hearing of it, but it looks really decent. Assuming their website isn't lying, they have all the important features for a backup plugin. (Encryption, incremental updates, upload to cloud etc.) The "protection" features are whatever. Looks like they use their own archive format for backups though.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bibi said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:
    While we are on the topic..
    5 websites backup for US Dollar 39.

https://appsumo.com/backupguard-wordpress-plugin/

If anyone interested, can send my aff link. Cheers

Doesn't look bad but seems to be a fairly unknown backup plugin (70k installs on wp plugin marketplace). Also no mention of GDPR compliance in privacy policy.

78$ for unlimited sites doesn't seem tol bad though.

It is unknown and also my first time hearing of it, but it looks really decent. Assuming their website isn't lying, they have all the important features for a backup plugin. (Encryption, incremental updates, upload to cloud etc.) The "protection" features are whatever. Looks like they use their own archive format for backups though.

AIO WP uses their own format, too. I don't mind this as they are very well known.
    Backup Guard does indeed seem to tick all the important features , but in the premium version only. As such, it only manages to accumulate 70k installs on its free version making for a lack of "feedback". There may be millions of premium users but we wouldn't know. Also this is the first time I heard about them and I have read many wp blogs about backup plugins etc. For having been around for 7 years this seems to be just too little a spark.

• There are Low End Hunters, and then there are idiots with money to burn.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• .#Themealert

I have been hearing good things about the izo WordPress theme

https://wordpress.org/themes/izo/

Planning to check it out in the coming week.

• @vyas said:
    There are Low End Hunters, and then there are idiots with money to burn.

GoDaddy or even the hosts listed in the poll won't work for him/her. Somebody suggest him/her WordPress VIP for the high load of those 400 visitors. The network is fast, and the price is good.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Some top class tech. support (and WP developer) guys from my country are hired by Kinsta and Cloudways.

Not my cup of tea, but paying a bit more for a service one is happy with isn't completely insane. And it's not EIG, it is relatively decent hosting for all I know.

Just like I'm certain that my paying extra for cPanel hosting seems completely senseless to some people.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    Some top class tech. support (and WP developer) guys from my country are hired by Kinsta and Cloudways.

Not my cup of tea, but paying a bit more for a service one is happy with isn't completely insane. And it's not EIG, it is relatively decent hosting for all I know.

Just like I'm certain that my paying extra for cPanel hosting seems completely senseless to some people.

Kinsta and Cloudways for 100 visitors a day would be an overkill IMO

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

There are other things to consider. The less a person is knowledgeable, the more important these are:

• The amount of "hand-holding" offered by the tech. support.
    • Reputation (marketing/advertising) - if people feel something is better, for them it is better (placebo, psychology, PMS - call it what you like, but it does affect things).
    • Security and performance - even if it only shows in the backend (for 100 daily visitors).

I've experienced all these things as feedback from various people and their explanation why they prefer certain options.
    If it weren't for that - no one would ever buy a Mercedes now, would they? :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

There are other things to consider. The less a person is knowledgeable, the more important these are:

• Reputation (marketing/advertising) - if people feel something is better, for them it is better (placebo, psychology, PMS - call it what you like, but it does affect things).
    • Security and performance - even if it only shows in the backend (for 100 daily visitors).

I've experienced all these things as feedback from various people and their explanation why they prefer certain options.

I want to disagree with you for the sake of disagreement, but I concur with your sound logic.
    Does that make me half human/ half Vulcan?
    Cheers!

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

I want to disagree with you for the sake of disagreement, but I concur with your sound logic.
    Does that make me half human/ half Vulcan?
    Cheers!

Live long and prosper.
    :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas

• Finished updating a long-ish post on How to Install and Configure ClassicPress on my blog.
    Ironicaly, WordPress started giving errors left and right, and I had to pause updating the post. Will do so in 'offline' mode tonight and update. Particularly in line images.

On a side note: Neve theme was giving some funny results on Safari. so I dropped it for Hestia (again)

https://amarvyas.in/different-ways-install-classicpress-cms/

Just to confirm - using AIO WP Migration plugin free version, I have managed to clone a site - so migration + (sub)domain change.

At the destination:

• Created a subdomain (temp.mydomain.com) - adding it's A record to Cloudflare DNS.
    • installed SSL/TLS to it.
    • Made a new WP install using softaculous on the temp. subdomain.
    • Created the main, real, destination domain, leaving it empty for now.

Procedure, as @Ympker had instructed:

• Backing up only the database with AIO WP (excluding all else in the Export options, except the .sql ones).
    • Downloaded the export file to my computer.
    • Coppied the files from wp-content directory "manually" (zip from control panel, then FTP).
    • Extracted them at the source.
    • Activated all the plugins (not 100% sure that matters, but I did) at the destination.
    • Used AIO to import the previously made export

Then, using Softaculous:

• After testing the temp. clone works, I used Softaculous to create a staging copy of the temp. website.
    • Chose option "Push to live" on that copy, and then sellected the option to "make this one main".
    • Deleted the temp. install from Softaculous, deleted the temp domain, and the files.

As things stand for now, HostMantis have disabled the remote import option in their Softaculous options.
    While Softaculous support has decided to take a look into why it doesn't seem to work. As it is for now:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/18015/softaculous-wordpress-management/#4.1.1

Thanked by (3)flips Ympker vyas

@bikegremlin said:
    Just to confirm - using AIO WP Migration plugin free version, I have managed to clone a site - so migration + (sub)domain change.

At the destination:

• Created a subdomain (temp.mydomain.com) - adding it's A record to Cloudflare DNS.
    • installed SSL/TLS to it.
    • Made a new WP install using softaculous on the temp. subdomain.
    • Created the main, real, destination domain, leaving it empty for now.

Procedure, as @Ympker had instructed:

• Backing up only the database with AIO WP (excluding all else in the Export options, except the .sql ones).
    • Downloaded the export file to my computer.
    • Coppied the files from wp-content directory "manually" (zip from control panel, then FTP).
    • Extracted them at the source.
    • Activated all the plugins (not 100% sure that matters, but I did) at the destination.
    • Used AIO to import the previously made export

Then, using Softaculous:

• After testing the temp. clone works, I used Softaculous to create a staging copy of the temp. website.
    • Chose option "Push to live" on that copy, and then sellected the option to "make this one main".
    • Deleted the temp. install from Softaculous, deleted the temp domain, and the files.

As things stand for now, HostMantis have disabled the remote import option in their Softaculous options.
    While Softaculous support has decided to take a look into why it doesn't seem to work. As it is for now:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/18015/softaculous-wordpress-management/#4.1.1

Glad it worked for you mate :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

Kinsta (WP Hosting Provider) launched something called DevKinsta for Local (Win and Mac) development and testing for WordPress sites. Other options in this space are XAMPP and Laragon or Desktopserver.
    Posting from FB group announcement by Kinsta

DevKinsta is a FREE local development environment that uses the power of Docker for WordPress developers. It’s available on Windows and macOS.
    What can you do with DevKinsta?

• Create WordPress sites locally in a few minutes
    • Turn on HTTPS with 1 click
    • Catch and debug all outgoing e-mails inside the app
    • Manage your database via Adminer
    • Test your sites on multiple PHP versions
    • Find the cause of issues through logs
    • Access WP-CLI
    • Pull your sites from Kinsta
    • Push changes to a Kinsta staging environment
      To download the application and learn more, visit us at https://kinsta.com/devkinsta/.
    Thanked by (2)Ympker verd

• Posted a note on Backing up WP site in the SEO discussion thread.

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@vyas iam still searching for a nice plugin+theme for listing hotels and resorts of my place. My district has around 600 properties and iam looking to list all those along with their features, tariff, a few pics etc. Its something like a directory but with booking facility. Would like to categorise resorts, homestays, serviced villas and so. A free listing site. Shortlisted one called Brikk. Yet to purchase.

Thanked by (1)vyas

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

@vyas said:
    Kinsta (WP Hosting Provider) launched something called DevKinsta for Local (Win and Mac) development and testing for WordPress sites. Other options in this space are XAMPP and Laragon or Desktopserver.
    Posting from FB group announcement by Kinsta

DevKinsta is a FREE local development environment that uses the power of Docker for WordPress developers. It’s available on Windows and macOS.
    What can you do with DevKinsta?

• Create WordPress sites locally in a few minutes
    • Turn on HTTPS with 1 click
    • Catch and debug all outgoing e-mails inside the app
    • Manage your database via Adminer
    • Test your sites on multiple PHP versions
    • Find the cause of issues through logs
    • Access WP-CLI
    • Pull your sites from Kinsta
    • Push changes to a Kinsta staging environment
      To download the application and learn more, visit us at https://kinsta.com/devkinsta/.

Interesting :) Thanks for the share.

• Sending mail from WP via SMTp- another option
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/fluent-smtp

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@vyas said:
    Sending mail from WP via SMTp- another option
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/fluent-smtp

I tend to avoid newly made plugins (50 installs, 2 reviews so far). Unless I have a very good reason to trust them.

This one looks interesting. It promises some options I hadn't seen with other such plugins. Like:

• Choosing different providers depending on the "from" address.
    • Keeping a log of failed deliveries (not sure how they do this).
    • Amazon SES integration.

Remains to be seen if it's fast, stable, and secure.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25887674

Interesting discussion of Wordpress versus other options. ?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

Saw this on PH :
    "Open source" page speed, accessibility and site performance score.
    https://websu.io

They use google Lite whatever as backend, clean interface, no ads (yet).

Below is score for my blog (Un optimized. just switched to GeneratePress)
    https://websu.io/r/600e63ad7bcf3740862d3f7b

• @vyas said:
    Saw this on PH :
    "Open source" page speed, accessibility and site performance score.
    https://websu.io

They use google Lite whatever as backend, clean interface, no ads (yet).

Below is score for my blog (Un optimized. just switched to GeneratePress)
    https://websu.io/r/600e63ad7bcf3740862d3f7b

>

Looks like a blatant copy of pagespeed insights.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

The site mentions using pagespeed backend

• Thanked by (1)Ympker

Interesting to see where this takes us.

• Is anyone ever tried Wordpress SEO plugin called "Rank Math".

Is it better than Yoast or AIOSEO ?

• Rankmath was (and is) good, the free tier is now limited and during BF the developers bombed their paid version launch . Poor marketing.

But product remains solid

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited February 2021

AIO was very limited in its free version when I last tried it - but that was 6 years ago, so take this with a bucket of salt.
    Pro version was praised by some developers I consider to be very good.

I've given up on Yoast since their indexables blunder.
    Considered Rank Math, but stuff like this got me a bit weary.
    What tipped the scales was praises from the devs I trust in favour of The SEO Framework.
    The free version + free options given by their extensions manager do all you need - technically.
    If you need help writing content, keyword analysis is provided only in pro version, so in that case I'd consider paying, or using Yoast, at least with the first 100 or so articles, until you get the hang of it (Yoast offers basic, limited keyword analysis in their free tier).

EDIT: to avoid any misunderstanding - I'm not paid, nor in any way affiliated with TSF. It's just like MXroute when it comes to emails, and this forum when it comes to hosting-related forums - it's my choice, based on all the info available, and all the stuff I've tried so far. Neither is perfect, it's just "the least bad" choice for me. Nothing more, nothing less. (OK... LES is perfect! :) )

Thanked by (1)level6

• If you need help writing content, keyword analysis is provided only in pro version

True, but I would not trust a SEO plugin to do that.

There are a different tools for keyword search. Most SEO plugins for WP help in one or more of the following:
    a. Tips for Optimizing existing text
    b. Suggesting best practices from SEO POV
    c. Identifying broken links etc.
    d. Duplicate content if any

edited February 2021

@vyas said:

If you need help writing content, keyword analysis is provided only in pro version

True, but I would not trust a SEO plugin to do that.

There are a different tools for keyword search. Most SEO plugins for WP help in one or more of the following:
    a. Tips for Optimizing existing text
    b. Suggesting best practices from SEO POV
    c. Identifying broken links etc.
    d. Duplicate content if any

Good points, and worth stressing. Yes, even all those tools won't make you a good content writer. But they can help. Especially with the technical stuff. SEO plugins, for example, can do the basic checks: are the keywords added to the title, heading(s), starting paragraph, meta description...
    TSF Pro comes with a relatively "smart" tool (unlike Yoast for example), that recognizes synonyms, so it's as close as it gets (of all the SEO plugins) to not making you write for robots. I don't always "listen" to it, but take a look and consider the suggestions.

TSF keyword analysis good and bad.
    Hemingway editor (a bit buggy on-line version, and no Linux app, but still useful)