Who do you think of when you think about the deep-discount players in the VPS market?

I mean ones who can get you up and running for $12 or less per year. That's an arbitrary limit picked by me, but it works out to $1 / month if paid on an annual basis. The ones I know about are:

• Inception Hosting
  • Virmach
  • Gullo's Hosting
  • MrVM

Any more?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

What do you think of

They are doing great things while probably not making a penny.

Thanked by (3)MaxKVM mikho Ouji

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

WebHorizon
    WisHosting

Thanked by (1)AndyMcFadden
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@MikeA said:

What do you think of

Can't speak for the other Providers mentioned but MrVM is/was never meant to be a money-making machine. I'm happy as long as the money in each month pays for the resources used.
    It has been a learning journey and even if there are times I am seconds away from closing everything down, I remember the things I've got from being a part of what started as a project and now has grown into this.

MrVM is a brand and as long as people are interested in NAT servers it will stay online. I have other sources of income that pays the bills :)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @AndyMcFadden said:

• Inception Hosting
    • Virmach
    • Gullo's Hosting
    • MrVM

I have plans with all of them, three of them for NAT. First thought that comes to mind: LE does not mean Low Quality

Thanked by (2)mikho AndyMcFadden
  • @mikho said:
    there are times I am seconds away from closing everything down

I imagine it's a lot of work to bring in $0.50 per customer per month, almost all of it disappearing into fixed costs.

Do the difficulties come from the customers or from technology?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AndyMcFadden said:

@mikho said:
    there are times I am seconds away from closing everything down

I imagine it's a lot of work to bring in $0.50 per customer per month, almost all of it disappearing into fixed costs.

Do the difficulties come from the customers or from technology?

Most of the time, technology.

I'll give you a couple of examples:

• Suddenly no one could reinstall their VPS, only to find out that Virtualizor still uses the old template system used by OVZ6 even for OVZ7 and that someone over at Virtuozzo decided to update their converter-script to use python3 instead of python.

One small character cost me many hours before I could fix it, perhaps it's only a temporary fix? Who knows.

• All of a sudden IPv4 traffic FROM all VPS on one node never leaves the node.
      If you open a connection from the outside over IPv4 (ssh to the VPS) the connection is fine.

In total, I think I had one week of "downtime" on that node, when one day, it all works again. It actually fixed itself while I was sleeping.
    During that time, OS updates, Virtualizor updates, configuration changes, reboots, the list goes on..... I even contacted the DC and had them investigate their Network Equipment if something was misconfigured.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

BuyVM
    Edis
    Ramhost
    Mrvm
    Gullo

Many of the other names I think off closed down or merged.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• +SoftShellWeb

• As I'm so cheap B) , I think (know) I wouldn't be playing if these value products were not available.

Thanks to @mikho for getting us going in NO.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • Can't forget the German hosts: Contabo, Netcup, PHP-Friends, Avoro, Hetzner.

• @AndyMcFadden said:
    $12 per year

$12 is too much. I have:
    VirMach $4 per year KVM 384MB with IPv4.
    Gullo $1 per year VZ7 128MB no IPv4.

I wonder how much the provider is losing for these boxes. IPv4 costs more than $4 per year.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@MikeA said:

What do you think of

Its a razors edge in some of it. 3 of those have,had a NAT focus so they don't have IP costs.

I still believe virmach is at least partially owned by CC, or could be soon. There has been a big falling out between a lot of large Chinese resellers and their hosts.

This has meant that many providers are sitting on mountains of gear (think hundreds and hundreds of nodes) and a lot of IPs. Remember the 4+ racks of old ass gear that went up for sale on LET the other day? Ill bet lunch that its for the same reason.

Anyway, CC and many others were heavy into that market.

Francisco

• @AndyMcFadden said:
    Who do you think of when you think about the deep-discount players in the VPS market?

Pamela Anderson

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @tetech said:

@AndyMcFadden said:

Pamela Anderson

Dudddeee, trying to sleep

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited August 2020

Avoro EPYC deals
    Inception Hosting high frequency deals
    Letbox storage deals
    Virmach weak CPU deals

Thanked by (1)key900

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• i grabbed black Friday from alphavps.bg for $12 (1500MB, 15GB SSD) and honestly i was not expecting much and planned to use it for some learning and sandbox purposes, but to my surprise the vps is working so nice and support from Vladislav Peev is super fast.using this vps for almost a year now.
    I don't know how this guy is providing quality service + Support in such a cheap price. Low end universe is full of surprises.

• @vyas said:

@AndyMcFadden said:

• Inception Hosting
    • Virmach
    • Gullo's Hosting
    • MrVM

LE does not mean Low Quality

Of course it means "low end", the L is low, and E is end...

• When I think of deep discount I think of chicagovps back in the day, summer hosts, contabo etc. Bad stuff. Their thing was trying to sell ridiculous amounts of resources in the $7 limit or lower. It was unsustainable, involved lots of overallocation so shitty vps's, etc. When you talk about a 128MB NAT or a $12-15/y low resource openvz, that's just "low end" rather than deep discount and those things can be (and often are) great, as long as you don't expect too much from them. They're fine for small web servers, vpn's, that sort of thing. BuyVM ($15/y openvz with ipv4) and InceptionHosting ($3/y NAT with very small, non-raid disk allocation) were the pioneers but lots of others have similar plans now. I've had a bunch of them in the past but am now down to just one (sort of), a $20/y Virmach KVM very close to where I live. Even that is pretty seriously underutilitized but it works fine. My main beataround VPS is a 1GB BuyVM slice in Las Vegas but it's a little more upscale at $5/month including a storage slab.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Francisco said: There has been a big falling out between a lot of large Chinese resellers and their hosts.

Hi @Francisco! Can you please say a bit more about what happened and why?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!