Open source e-mail marketing platforms

What do you guys recommend for open source based email marketing like news letters and the like?

Thought Is a VPS with the platform connected via smtp to a reliable email solution sending out 50-150 emails an hour till the list is exhausted. Obviously with the ability to opt out via a link and analytics on those that do opt out or click through.

Comments

• Check Mailtrain and Sendy out.
    I'd go with the latter if you can spend a bit of money.

Thanked by (1)sureiam
  • edited August 2020

Thanks Sendy indeed looks pretty top notch but only locked to ses?

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@sureiam said:
    Thanks Sendy indeed looks pretty top notch but only locked to ses?

You can use SMTP in its settings, they just push the SES thing as a preference.

Thanked by (2)sureiam K4Y5

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• Never tried, but sendy + SES should be good

• i second sendy. A friend, to who I recommended, has been using it successfully with 100K+ subscribers for the last 5 years.

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

I just did a larger mailing (3k) for a client using Mailtrain, on a Cloudron - Ubuntu 18.04 VPS from Time4VPS. It worked wonderfully well, for someone with zero experience with bulk mailing.

Not really a recommendation - just sharing my experience.

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• @alento said:
    I just did a larger mailing (3k) for a client using Mailtrain, on a Cloudron - Ubuntu 18.04 VPS from Time4VPS. It worked wonderfully well, for someone with zero experience with bulk mailing.

So while sendy is incredibly reasonably priced I kinda would prefer to first see if the news letters generate any meaningful traffic before investing any money into it. Mailtrain seems to be "free". Did you find it feature rich in terms of analytics or automation of sending?

Thanks

@sureiam said:

@alento said:

Did you find it feature rich in terms of analytics or automation of sending?

Thanks

Again, email marketing / bulk email is not my thing, so I don't really know what I am doing in this area -- that said, as far as analytics, you can do both link click counting as well as using an embedded image for open counting. The reports that I have noticed are basically listing of who/when/where clicked the link or opened the email. It does have a report generator, but I have no idea how to utilize it nor a need to, so I can't comment.

As far as 'automation of sending' ... upload the email list, create the content, and click send. As I mentioned I used the Cloudron installed Mailtrain, so there was no real set up involved. Cloudron handles the integration very nicely as it has it's own MTA which I used.

My biggest frustration with it is that there is barely any documentation.

Any other questions feel free to ask, and I will try to answer. :)

Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• @alento said:

@sureiam said:

@alento said:

Did you find it feature rich in terms of analytics or automation of sending?

Thanks

Again, email marketing / bulk email is not my thing, so I don't really know what I am doing in this area -- that said, as far as analytics, you can do both link click counting as well as using an embedded image for open counting. The reports that I have noticed are basically listing of who/when/where clicked the link or opened the email. It does have a report generator, but I have no idea how to utilize it nor a need to, so I can't comment.

As far as 'automation of sending' ... upload the email list, create the content, and click send. As I mentioned I used the Cloudron installed Mailtrain, so there was no real set up involved. Cloudron handles the integration very nicely as it has it's own MTA which I used.

My biggest frustration with it is that there is barely any documentation.

Any other questions feel free to ask, and I will try to answer. :)

Can you schedule out the sending from one list? For example send out 100 at 8am then 100 more at 12pm from one list. Or does it require you to make a different list for that? Ideally I would like to automate sending out different parts of the list instead of creating a bunch of lists and campaigns. This will also be my first go around for this so i actually appreciate that your also new to it.

Thanks!

@sureiam said:
    Can you schedule out the sending from one list? For example send out 100 at 8am then 100 more at 12pm from one list. Or does it require you to make a different list for that? Ideally I would like to automate sending out different parts of the list instead of creating a bunch of lists and campaigns. This will also be my first go around for this so i actually appreciate that your also new to it.

Thanks!

From what I see there are two things at play. First what they call "List Segmentation"

List segmentation

Send messages only to list subscribers that match predefined segmentation rules. No need to create separate lists with small differences.

but I do not see how where one defines the 'segments'.

Second, when you create a campaign and it is unsent, you can add a delay in time for when it should send - I don't see any finer grained scheduling than that.

Thanked by (1)sureiam

• @alento said:

@sureiam said:

Thanks!

From what I see there are two things at play. First what they call "List Segmentation"

List segmentation

Send messages only to list subscribers that match predefined segmentation rules. No need to create separate lists with small differences.

but I do not see how where one defines the 'segments'.

Second, when you create a campaign and it is unsent, you can add a delay in time for when it should send - I don't see any finer grained scheduling than that.

Gotcha appreciate the response.

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG
    edited August 2020

Mailtrain - used it for the alumni association of the institute I completed my post-graduation from, even the non-technical student committee found it very easy to manage.

Thanked by (1)sureiam

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• https://github.com/knadh/listmonk is another DIY open source solution.

Thanked by (1)sureiam
  • @raman2020 said:
    https://github.com/knadh/listmonk is another DIY open source solution.

Just a note that the readme states it is alpha software.

• someshzadesomeshzade Hosting ProviderOG

The best : Mautic :)

Nexa Racks - Reliable Web Hosting Company