Server Advice

edited August 18 in Technical

Hey peeps,

Hope all are in good shape.

Well, am from India. Looking forward host a community site.
The main visitors are from India.

So, just wondering off what would be the ideal location of server for serving Indian(90%) & Asian Users(10%).

DO or Linode Indian DC or just any other location that fits my needs ?

Specs in need,
KVM
1 or 2core,
1GB Ram,
15GiGs SSD,
1TB,
1ipv4 + 1ipv6
Yearly price - max of 45$ ( which ever is lesser)
Scable option would be great if available.
Strictly for Production use.

Note : yes, I do have a budget Constraint๐Ÿ˜ฅ so lower price would be better

What should I do ?
Need a good peering with Indian providers will be necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜Š

Tagged:
ยซ1

Comments

  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG
    edited August 18

    @deepak_leb
    Hi we can do in 45$ for a year if you are willing and also we will provider server Management panel Alternative to serveravatar you can deploy multiple domains within single VPS

    Server Locations (Phoniex,France,Germany)
    2 vCore,
    2GB Ram
    30 GiGs SSD, (NVME in Germany)
    2TB in Phoniex (unlimited in germany )
    1ipv4 + 1ipv6

    Thanked by (2)Abdullah deepak_leb

    KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

  • @AK_KWH said:
    @deepak_leb
    Hi we can do in 45$ for a year if you are willing along we will provider server Management panel Alternative to serveravatar you can deploy multiple domains within single VPS

    Server Locations (Phoniex,France,Germany)
    2 vCore,
    2GB Ram
    30 GiGs SSD, (NVME in Germany)
    2TB in Phoniex (unlimited in germany )
    1ipv4 + 1ipv6

    Boss, I appreciate your deal. But the fact is, am looking for a better peering with Indian providers so am stepping me out. ๐Ÿ˜ช

    Please clarify me ๐Ÿ™„.

  • @seriesn said:
    What's up brother, would singapore work?

    I believe I can take that into consideration.

    SG also very near to India.

    But someone clarify me, is do really location of DC matters ?

    Within India or Near to India ?

    ๐Ÿค”

  • MaxKVM SKVM-1G: 29 USD yearly
    NexusBytes APAC-VPS-1G: 38.4 USD yearly

    Thanked by (2)deepak_leb seriesn
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited August 18

    As u say 90% is Indian traffic, the base plan from @ReadyDedis in Mumbai DC will work nice, fits your budget.
    Singapore is a good option too, bt way less local peering.

    Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @Abdullah said:
    As u say 90% is Indian traffic, the base plan from @ReadyDedis in Mumbai DC will work nice, fits your budget.
    Singapore is a good option too, bt way less local peering.

    Do the Users will see any performance drops while using Europe locations ?

    I mean in terms of speed ? Or in response time ? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ

  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG
    edited August 18

    @deepak_leb said:

    @AK_KWH said:
    @deepak_leb
    Hi we can do in 45$ for a year if you are willing along we will provider server Management panel Alternative to serveravatar you can deploy multiple domains within single VPS

    Server Locations (Phoniex,France,Germany)
    2 vCore,
    2GB Ram
    30 GiGs SSD, (NVME in Germany)
    2TB in Phoenix (unlimited in germany )
    1ipv4 + 1ipv6

    Boss, I appreciate your deal. But the fact is, am looking for a better peering with Indian providers so am stepping me out. ๐Ÿ˜ช

    Please clarify me ๐Ÿ™„.

    we are your neighbors :) b/w
    @ReadyDedis is ur country fellow then i think he had indian location too

    KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

  • @deepak_leb said: see any performance drops while using Europe locations

    For a typical forum site (like LES for e.g.) this shouldn't matter at all. It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    Putting it behind Cloudflare will give you some latency/caching improvements.

    So I would say focus more on the quality of hosting (and pricing constraints) and don't worry too much about the actual location of the server.

  • @AK_KWH said:

    @deepak_leb said:

    @AK_KWH said:
    @deepak_leb
    Hi we can do in 45$ for a year if you are willing along we will provider server Management panel Alternative to serveravatar you can deploy multiple domains within single VPS

    Server Locations (Phoniex,France,Germany)
    2 vCore,
    2GB Ram
    30 GiGs SSD, (NVME in Germany)
    2TB in Phoenix (unlimited in germany )
    1ipv4 + 1ipv6

    Boss, I appreciate your deal. But the fact is, am looking for a better peering with Indian providers so am stepping me out. ๐Ÿ˜ช

    Please clarify me ๐Ÿ™„.

    we are your neighbors :) b/w
    @ReadyDedis is ur country fellow then i think he had indian location too

    I respect you all people ๐Ÿ˜.

    It's just that am cancelling all my idle servers due to strict budget.

    Hard hitten by pandemic.

    So am looking for a perfect & under budget one.

  • @nullnothere said:

    @deepak_leb said: see any performance drops while using Europe locations

    For a typical forum site (like LES for e.g.) this shouldn't matter at all. It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    Putting it behind Cloudflare will give you some latency/caching improvements.

    So I would say focus more on the quality of hosting (and pricing constraints) and don't worry too much about the actual location of the server.

    Noted boss. ๐Ÿ˜‹

  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited August 18

    @nullnothere said:

    @deepak_leb said: see any performance drops while using Europe locations

    For a typical forum site (like LES for e.g.) this shouldn't matter at all. It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    Putting it behind Cloudflare will give you some latency/caching improvements.

    So I would say focus more on the quality of hosting (and pricing constraints) and don't worry too much about the actual location of the server.

    ๐Ÿค” He is actually correct, as long it is just a forum/something similar, somewhere in Europe should be good to use & fit your budget.
    Local peering is needed if you are hosting some video/image based product.
    I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.
    Ping < 200 should be okay for India

    Thanked by (2)deepak_leb nullnothere
  • @Abdullah said:

    @nullnothere said:

    @deepak_leb said: see any performance drops while using Europe locations

    For a typical forum site (like LES for e.g.) this shouldn't matter at all. It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    Putting it behind Cloudflare will give you some latency/caching improvements.

    So I would say focus more on the quality of hosting (and pricing constraints) and don't worry too much about the actual location of the server.

    ๐Ÿค” He is actually correct, as long it is just a forum/something similar, somewhere in Europe should be good to use & fit your budget.
    Local peering is needed if you are hosting some video/image based product.
    I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.
    Ping < 200 should be okay for India

    Thank you for clearing up.

  • @Abdullah said: I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.

    And just to add, EU is going to be much cheaper in the sense that you are likely to get much better resources/bandwidth/quality for a given price. SG is expensive due to bandwidth costs (and India is even worse on that scale). So I strongly recommend trying to find a good provider/service in the EU to get started. You can always rethink things once you're up and running and get better data points on the usage and resource requirements.

  • @nullnothere said:

    @Abdullah said: I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.

    And just to add, EU is going to be much cheaper in the sense that you are likely to get much better resources/bandwidth/quality for a given price. SG is expensive due to bandwidth costs (and India is even worse on that scale). So I strongly recommend trying to find a good provider/service in the EU to get started. You can always rethink things once you're up and running and get better data points on the usage and resource requirements.

    Ryzen hunt season starts up then๐Ÿ˜

  • seriesnseriesn Hosting ProviderOG

    @deepak_leb said:

    @nullnothere said:

    @Abdullah said: I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.

    And just to add, EU is going to be much cheaper in the sense that you are likely to get much better resources/bandwidth/quality for a given price. SG is expensive due to bandwidth costs (and India is even worse on that scale). So I strongly recommend trying to find a good provider/service in the EU to get started. You can always rethink things once you're up and running and get better data points on the usage and resource requirements.

    Ryzen hunt season starts up then๐Ÿ˜

    Germany is pretty decent to india. To be quiet honest, a second or 3 wouldn't really matter much. Now Ryzen you said? Hmm. Hmmm.

    Hey you :kissing_wink:

    Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @seriesn said:

    @deepak_leb said:

    @nullnothere said:

    @Abdullah said: I say you should go with the best specs & quality you get.

    And just to add, EU is going to be much cheaper in the sense that you are likely to get much better resources/bandwidth/quality for a given price. SG is expensive due to bandwidth costs (and India is even worse on that scale). So I strongly recommend trying to find a good provider/service in the EU to get started. You can always rethink things once you're up and running and get better data points on the usage and resource requirements.

    Ryzen hunt season starts up then๐Ÿ˜

    Germany is pretty decent to india. To be quiet honest, a second or 3 wouldn't really matter much. Now Ryzen you said? Hmm. Hmmm.

    Hey you :kissing_wink:

    You're such a sweetpie

  • someshzadesomeshzade Hosting ProviderOG
    Thanked by (1)deepak_leb

    Nexa Racks - Reliable Web Hosting Company

  • havochavoc OG
    edited August 18

    I'd venture that you overestimate the importance of local peering, especially in the early stages of a forum life. A good atmosphere is way more important. I mean look at this forum...don't even know where the hell it's hosted or what the latency is.

    Grab a bunch of lookingglass IPs, find something solid and roll with that.

    I'd also have a good look at sticking a CDN in front of it...that can mitigate some of the perceived latency effects.

    And do make arrangements for backup. As much as I love the local crew they are not quite in DO league

    Thanked by (2)deepak_leb vimalware
  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited August 19

    Do you really want to start with a VPS? Tad overkill till the site gathers some traffic?

    What is the community site About?
    Blog/forum/membership portal yada yada
    What CMS do you plan to use?

    @nullnothere said:
    It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    very true!

    Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @vyas said:
    Do you really want to start with a VPS? Tad overkill till the site gathers some traffic?

    What is the community site About?
    Blog/forum/membership portal yada yada
    What CMS do you plan to use?

    @nullnothere said:
    It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    very true!

    Ghost CMS

  • @havoc said:
    I'd venture that you overestimate the importance of local peering, especially in the early stages of a forum life. A good atmosphere is way more important. I mean look at this forum...don't even know where the hell it's hosted or what the latency is.

    Grab a bunch of lookingglass IPs, find something solid and roll with that.

    I'd also have a good look at sticking a CDN in front of it...that can mitigate some of the perceived latency effects.

    And do make arrangements for backup. As much as I love the local crew they are not quite in DO league

    Got it, sire

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    @deepak_leb said:

    @vyas said:
    Do you really want to start with a VPS? Tad overkill till the site gathers some traffic?

    What is the community site About?
    Blog/forum/membership portal yada yada
    What CMS do you plan to use?

    @nullnothere said:
    It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    very true!

    Ghost CMS

    Start with a one year/ free Google Cloud + Ghost Image. Let it build up, then move to something more long term

  • @vyas said:

    @deepak_leb said:

    @vyas said:
    Do you really want to start with a VPS? Tad overkill till the site gathers some traffic?

    What is the community site About?
    Blog/forum/membership portal yada yada
    What CMS do you plan to use?

    @nullnothere said:
    It will ideally be content driven, where the human content processing time should be far greater than internet content delivery time (otherwise you have bigger issues to worry about!).

    very true!

    Ghost CMS

    Start with a one year/ free Google Cloud + Ghost Image. Let it build up, then move to something more long term

    That's a good one.

  • Take into account that sometimes Routing

    @deepak_leb said: Within India

    Can include a road trip along the country, that will make look SG sweeter.

    For example,

    I have experienced packets going to Chennai ( Which is in another nearby state) when the destination is a DC ( Aride Ocean ) 8 Kilometre's away from me.

    @deepak_leb said: SG also very near to India.

    Yes, but in the case of SG too, There were instances of North America being a sort of pit stop.

    It's stable most of the time when it's

    @Abdullah said: somewhere in Europe

    @Abdullah said: Ping < 200 should be okay for India

    India to most of Europe about 160 ms but mostly less than 200 most of the time as you mentioned.

    @deepak_leb Are you okay with Directadmin based shared hosting ?

    Thanked by (2)Abdullah vimalware
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @Rahul said: It's stable most of the time when it's

    @Abdullah said: somewhere in Europe

    So this means that if my friend @tom got an Epyc at Hetzner, then he might be successful selling VPSes to folks in India?

    Thanked by (1)Abdullah

    Old guy! Happy customer of OVH. Tom, not Oles! :-)
    Purveyor of fast-as-metal LXC VPSes

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    @Rahul said:

    @deepak_leb Are you okay with Directadmin based shared hosting ?

    he is planning ot use Ghost CMS.

  • ReadyDedisReadyDedis Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited August 19

    @deepak_leb said:

    Well, bandwidth is a tough spot, but the rest of the stuff can be accommodated. Let me know if you're interested.

    I cannot guarantee ipv6 yet if you don't mind. This will be rolled out at a later date.

    Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @Not_Oles said:

    @Rahul said: It's stable most of the time when it's

    @Abdullah said: somewhere in Europe

    So this means that if my friend @tom got an Epyc at Hetzner, then he might be successful selling VPSes to folks in India?

    It's true that Hetzner provides more bang for your buck via their auction. But

    @Not_Oles said: folks in India

    Have a sweet tooth for OVH since they offer DDoS mitigation as standard with no additional cost.

    So, if you happen to be on the receiving end of such incidents frequently, Hetzner might pull the plug on you.

    Another reason to take into account is market saturation,

    We now have many providers even within India that make use of OVH like @HappyBee for example that offer VPS with dedicated ipv4 for less than $2 a month.

    @vyas said: he is planning ot use Ghost CMS.

    Is it not possible in the case of shared hosting with ssh access ?

    Thanked by (2)Not_Oles HappyBee
  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    @Rahul
    possible indeed, but easier with VPS. Not all shared hosting providers might provide SSH access.

Sign In or Register to comment.