LES, what could be better, what do you like, what would you like to say, what do I need to hear?

13»

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@bugrakoc said:

@AnthonySmith said: maybe I can PM you

Anytime.

Made a small change, has that helped?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

@holyballs said:
    A simple focus on the user/email form field on the Sign In popup :

document.getElementById("Email").focus();

Agreed and thanks, this one slipped off the radar.

Thanked by (2)holyballs Ympker

• @AnthonySmith said: Made a small change, has that helped?

Still the same.

• @AnthonySmith said: So start Black Friday just a little bit sooner then?

Not sure whether that will be helpful or not since the sale is targeted towards users around the globe.

How about asking the providers here to submit their BF/CM deals for LES in advance to you so that you can,

Launch a teaser thread before the sale day and later release them during the sale day, one by one per hour ?

How about this idea ?

@Rahul said:

@AnthonySmith said: So start Black Friday just a little bit sooner then?

Not sure whether that will be helpful or not since the sale is targeted towards users around the globe.

How about asking the providers here to submit their BF/CM deals for LES in advance to you so that you can,

Launch a teaser thread before the sale day and later release them during the sale day, one by one per hour ?

How about this idea ?

yeah I would usually do that anyway.

tbh though it seems to me that the impulse and last minute offers that come after are the ones that get hunted and generate the hype

• One more suggestion

@Rahul said: later release them during the sale day, one by one per hour

Also ask the same provider for a time slot to make their deal go live,

A suitable time slot according to them so that they can take care of payment related tickets or any kind of hiccup arising , quickly and efficiently ?

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@Rahul said:
    One more suggestion

@Rahul said: later release them during the sale day, one by one per hour

Also ask the same provider for a time slot to make their deal go live,

A suitable time slot according to them so that they can take care of payment related tickets or any kind of hiccup arising , quickly and efficiently ?

I might just hire someone to look after the whole thing this year

• I think LES is doing well as it is. I don't think there's a need to chase after more traffic, just let it continue to grow organically. Deals will naturally bring in folks. I'm also undecided about more newbie tutorials; DO, Linode, etc have that pretty well covered.

One thing I like about some other forums is the communal tech-support aspect -- both receiving and giving, helping each other out. Sort of like StackOverflow, I guess, but with lighter moderation. We've had a bit of that here in Technical.

• @AnthonySmith said: I might just hire someone to look after the whole thing this year

Maybe,

@FAT32 Would you do the honours ?

@Rahul said:

@AnthonySmith said: I might just hire someone to look after the whole thing this year

Maybe,

lol, I suspect he may have a conflict of interest.

Thanked by (2)FAT32 cybertech

@AnthonySmith said:

@Rahul said:

@AnthonySmith said: I might just hire someone to look after the whole thing this year

Maybe,

lol, I suspect he may have a conflict of interest.

That said if he would let me pay him to do it exclusively at LES i.e. not getting involved in running the sales at LET then I would probably do it just because it would be funny.

Thanked by (1)bugrakoc

• I like the casual vibe here. I don't feel judged if I ask another obvious question in the eyes of the old-times in the industry

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
  • @AnthonySmith said: That said if he would let me pay him to do it exclusively at LES i.e. not getting involved in running the sales at LET then I would probably do it just because it would be funny.

Since no formal reply from @FAT32 so far , can anybody LESbian up for the job ?

• Ignore thread option is highly wanted. Mentioned before. Bumping allowed? :)
    (Would be nice for those that are tired of the Free for life thread with random numbers being posted, posting here instead of adding to that thread ...) ;)

• spliticesplitice Hosting ProviderOG

Search Results:

(I was looking for the thread with all the bankrupt LET hosts from last years BF/CM)

Looks like the first keyword drowned out all results...

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.
    Latest Offer: Brazil Launch 2020 Offer

• spliticesplitice Hosting ProviderOG

Or perhaps sorted by date?

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.
    Latest Offer: Brazil Launch 2020 Offer

@splitice said: Or perhaps sorted by date?

yeah would be great, vanillas search is a pita, I need to when I have the time get something more advanced implemented.

• Long-time lurker but registered just to say I've gotten some good value from the forum, seen some good deals offered (and even purchased a plan from one of Ant's competitors - sorry about that Ant), and found the discussions respectful and not spammy.

I'm a big user of RSS feeds and prefer to consume all posts and comments across forums via RSS. Currently, I use https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussions/feed.rss but there doesn't seem to be a feed for all comments. As I usually won't engage in a thread unless the initial post or some comment sparks my interest, I'm less likely to engage when I only see the post content. Might be a limitation of vanillaforums's software but having access to all activity via RSS would be a nice-to-have.

@c_prompt said: and even purchased a plan from one of Ant's competitors

haha, no worries.

@c_prompt said: Might be a limitation of vanillaforums's software but having access to all activity via RSS would be a nice-to-have.

I believe it is a limitation, I have looked into it in the past, vanilla used to support it but the issue was that it published all comments, even ones in a private area so never worked well if you had membership levels and they never bothered fixing it beyond just not delivering comments.

• @bugrakoc said:
    Not sure how I can describe this, but I have a UI bug on mobile since I joined. The same bug isn't present on the other Vanilla forum.

When I scroll down/up the main page, unread threads scroll down normally, while the threads with no unread posts lag back, and jump into place after ~500-1000 ms or after I let go of the swipe. I also cannot scroll if I start the swipe from a read thread. I need to start swiping from an unread thread to actually scroll.

This is mostly fine, unless I have too much time and read all threads on the screen, in which case I can't scroll easily and try to use the very edges of the screen, with mixed results because of my phone case.

I wanted to find some safe and free way to record my phone screen including some visual cue about taps/gestures somehow for some time but never got around reading stuff about it. I guess this is the time I let you know.

Platform: Firefox for Android 79.0.5 (Build #2015758619) on Android 9

Sorry for holding out on that for so long. Keep up the good work, I know you work hard. Thanks, both for IH and LES.

I have the lagging post problem too on Android/Firefox.

Noob tutorials will be helpful but at the same time some kind of cheatsheet based info will be useful too. How many times I have to google options for command to add user on centos/ubuntu.