Recommendations for a self-hosted URL shortener?

2»

Comments

• @hzr said:

This is a pretty basic stack, it's the minimum barebones equivalent of node|python|whatever/postgres = php/mysql

[The stack in question is Node.js, PostgreSQL and Redis]

I didn't mean to convey that the requirements were so unrealistic, depending on one's setup, of course. On the server in question, MySQL is installed, so for me to install PostgreSQL just for the sake of a URL shortener would be a small luxury -- this is all. :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:
    I glanced at this software, but it hasn't been updated since May 2017, and so I wasn't sure whether it was an abandoned project or just super stable.

I've been using it for over a year and it's working really good, it also has the option to add multiple users with permissions. You can always deploy a server at any hourly billing provider and try it out.

Frankly, I'm not sure what this project is, which was uploaded yesterday.

It's a simple link shortener written in Laravel, he made it as a simple clone of linktr.ee

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • edited September 2020

For a self hosted personal shortener, I think sqlite3 would do fine.

That said, props to anyone who uses a real ACID Rdbms (postgresql) instead of mys***

• @vimalware said:

That said, props to anyone who uses a real ACID Rdbms (postgresql) instead of mys***

I use sqlite3 for my personal url shortener. Works just fine.

I used to use mysql for my previous url shortener, but now a days I like the low memory overhead of sqlite3 more then resource heavy mysql (mariadb).

Who would be crazy enough to use postgresql for a url shortener?

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said:

@vimalware said:

I use sqlite3 for my personal url shortener. Works just fine.

I used to use mysql for my previous url shortener, but now a days I like the low memory overhead of sqlite3 more then resource heavy mysql (mariadb).

Who would be crazy enough to use postgresql for a url shortener?

URL shorteners such as https://github.com/thedevs-network/kutt (mentioned earlier in this discussion) are intended to scale well -- they're not meant to be used solely as personal URL shorteners.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)