Cheapest VPS in Belgium - competition

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

This stems from a discussion in the cest pit with @debaser

It seems that Belgium VPS prices are stuck in 2010 and some of the websites use clip art from 1995 :)

So I thought it would be fun to leverage the power of community in a fun competition to find the cheapest VPS in Belgium.

2 competitions actually.

  1. The outright cheapest regardless of specs.
  2. The cheapest 2GB KVM VPS with IP4 and a Minimum of 15 GB disk.

Whomever wins I will pay for the first 3 months of service on both or if the same person finds both I will cover 1 for 6 months with the caveat that you give me a few hours on it to test it initially :)

Please give a moderate level of detail to avoid duplication.

Happy hunting.

Ant.

Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (3)ehab vpsgeek3333 Abdullah
«1

Comments

  • Not interested, but for those looking seriously, cheapest is probably EDIS.at. Monthly pricing is at roughly 10 dollars for a 2GB VPS.

  • debaserdebaser OG
    edited October 20

    The outright cheapeast that I've found was at Oneprovider as part of their 'OneCloud'. 3 USD for 1 cpu/512M/10GB SSD/500 GB traffic. (downsides: Oneprovider, wouldn't get provisioned and M247 network)

    Cheapest 2GB that I've found is at https://www.versio.be/vps-hosting for 9.99 EUR (bit cheaper than EDIS). Order form brings you to Amsterdam West, but you can also choose Antwerp.

  • RadiRadi Hosting ProviderOG
  • It should be noted that a lot of providers are missing in Serverhunter and that their pricing omits VAT. EDIS 2GB would be 10,21 with 21% Belgian VAT for instance.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider
    edited October 20

    I should add a caveat that resellers dont count (so no Oneprovider) and they should actually be available to buy (so no Oneprovider) and taxes should be added.

    :)

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider
    edited October 20

    So the cheapest so far is @AC_Fan with:

    EDIS
    KVM STARTER

    • 2048 MB RAM
    • 20 GB HDD
    • 1 IPv4
    • 2 TB Traffic
    • KVM based

    €10.19
    https://manage.edis.at/whmcs/cart.php?a=add&pid=987

    (versio don't list taxes until the end either making it more than EDIS)

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • XenicXenic OG
    edited October 20

    i have currently in Belgium a VPS. The VPS have 512MB RAM, 1vCore, 20GB SSD and a 1GBIT Link and its in the M247 Network in the Interxion Brussel. It cost me 4€ monthly. It was a custom Deal from a German Company. Greetings Xenic.

  • Belgium is like a rare location. @AnthonySmith if you manage to find an appropriate offer from a DC for hardware + IPv4 then I suggest you do it. Much better than offering DE or NL if a VPS provider manages to find a nice deal for that location.

    Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

  • RazzaRazza OG
    edited October 20

    https://vps247.com/ Basic plan 4.50 euro 1 core 512MB 10GB SSD.

    They have a Belgium location.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider
    edited October 20

    @Razza said:
    https://vps247.com/ Basic plan 4.50 euro 1 core 512MB 10GB SSD.

    They have a Belgium location.

    So that seems to be the cheapest one generally so far but imagine using M247 :disappointed:

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • alwyzonalwyzon Hosting Provider
    edited October 20

    It might be interesting to see latency differences between those Belgian providers compared to cheaper neighbouring nations from an actual Belgian user. Latencies don't necessarily scale with air travel distance when its just about a few hundred kilometres. The ISP used for my Graz office, for example, routes pretty much all traffic over the Vienna Internet Exchange which results in local datacenters having higher latencies than some datacenters in Germany.

    Alwyzon - KVM Virtual Servers in NL starting at 1,80 €/month (excl. VAT)

  • RazzaRazza OG
    edited October 20

    @AnthonySmith said:
    So that seems to be the cheapest one generally so far but imagine using M247 :disappointed:

    I wouldn't host anything there my self, the network is full of abuse its don't help that virtually ever VPN provider use them.

  • @alwyzon said:
    It might be interesting to see latency differences between those Belgian providers compared to neighbouring nations from an actual Belgian user. Latencies don't necessarily scale with air travel distance when its just about a few hundred kilometres.

    It's not very much. Look up Roubaix (where OVH is) on a map. It's almost in Belgium.

    If you live in Antwerp and you choose a VPS in Rotterdam it might just be 2ms extra.

    But this is exactly why a lot of Flemish people choose a Dutch hosting provider and French Speaking Belgians choose for a French provider.

  • Know Belgium very well and Prefer OVH of I3D network for latency things from there.

    Reason why it's more expensive
    BTW of VAT
    Elektricity
    And yes Bandwith, most providers had a FUP 750GB between specific times for coax cable
    For Vdsl2 of vdsl FUP too but thé speeds are slow 😅

    But it will be better
    they are starting with fiber to houses slowly so that will help a little

  • https://fusa.be/nl/hosting/offer - not a VPS, but a dedi ;)

    Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale! (Now with 30% discount for Black Friday!)

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

    @Buthead said:
    Know Belgium very well and Prefer OVH of I3D network for latency things from there.

    Reason why it's more expensive
    BTW of VAT
    Elektricity
    And yes Bandwith, most providers had a FUP 750GB between specific times for coax cable
    For Vdsl2 of vdsl FUP too but thé speeds are slow 😅

    But it will be better
    they are starting with fiber to houses slowly so that will help a little

    I used to have friends in Belgium during the early 2000’s who used belnet? From memory, they used to have serious BW restrictions in place, they got a fairly low allowance in what I believe was 512k DSL and when they reached it they got restricted to 64k for the rest of the month.

    It was always an issue. I expected things would have changed by now.

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @Buthead said:
    Know Belgium very well and Prefer OVH of I3D network for latency things from there.

    Haha, yes. That's what I'd think. Most of my Belgian tech friends would do so. I3D from Proximus (incumbent telco) FttH is like 10ms.

    Reason why it's more expensive
    BTW of VAT
    Elektricity
    And yes Bandwith, most providers had a FUP 750GB between specific times for coax cable
    For Vdsl2 of vdsl FUP too but thé speeds are slow 😅

    It's primarily bandwith costs. VAT is as high as in The Netherlands, electricity costs just a tad higher, but bandwith is expensive. Amai. The standard subscription of the largest access provider has a data allowance of 750GB as you sai. And after that it's back to the stone age or pay up.

    @AnthonySmith said:
    I used to have friends in Belgium during the early 2000’s who used belnet? From memory, they used to have serious BW restrictions in place, they got a fairly low allowance in what I believe was 512k DSL and when they reached it they got restricted to 64k for the rest of the month.

    Belnet is the academic network, like JANET in the UK, DFN in Germany or SURFNet in The Netherlands. In that age they had DSL lines over the incumbent telco's hardware I guess.

    It was always an issue. I expected things would have changed by now.

    They have changed, but because of the duopoly (cable/Proximus) not much. Data allowances on fixed lines are still a thing as @Buthead said. It's only for the more expensive plans that you get 'unlimited' (but I wouldn't bet on it that it's truly unlimited).

    The duopoly is broken now Orange (with backing from their French parent company) is in the market. That would be the biggest change for home connections. But data center wise it'll be slim pickens still.

  • https://face-h.eu/website/vps.php

    2.99 for 2GB ... says they are having their infrastructure somewhere in belgium close to Namur since end of 2019 ...

    no idea who they are and why, you asked about Belgium though ;-) ;-)

  • edited October 20

    True fact, Orange is doing well they will launch before end of the year a internet only (on the cable) that will be cheaper then all others, only the support desk is .. not so well but for that price acceptable i helped testing when they where called mobistar for their internet and tv launch.

    I use Telenet currently due no other option and vdsl2 is no good at all here

    Belnet is indeed for only important company's or Academic and it is very great and fast when i used it 4y ago

    For VPS/dedi
    Fusa.be is very good hoster :)
    I'm also on Belgian forum for IT where owner is on it and he sometimes sell hardware or etc :)

  • @Falzo said:
    https://face-h.eu/website/vps.php

    2.99 for 2GB ... says they are having their infrastructure somewhere in belgium close to Namur since end of 2019 ...

    no idea who they are and why, you asked about Belgium though ;-) ;-)

    The seem to stress the Namur region, but other than that all signs point to OVH. The 250Mbps speed, the DDoS filtering, the place they run their website. Might try them out to get to the bottom of that.

    @Buthead said:
    True fact, Orange is doing well they will launch before end of the year a internet only (on the cable) that will be cheaper then all others, only the support desk is .. not so well but for that price acceptable i helped testing when they where called mobistar for their internet and tv launch.

    I use Telenet currently due no other option and vdsl2 is no good at all here

    I always used Telenet in Belgium. Expensive, but solid. Orange is also available via Telenet’s cable network, aren’t they?

    For VPS/dedi
    Fusa.be is very good hoster :)
    I'm also on Belgian forum for IT where owner is on it and he sometimes sell hardware or etc :)

    I never really liked their network. Good people otherwise. Are you referring to Userbase.be by the way?

    Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • For Orange yes they use coax cable network from Telenet. But Orange started testing with it's own fiber in 1 big city.
    The fiber race is going to start comming year.
    Most IT people or people who like it stuff hope so 😂

    For Fusa.be they also sell OVH things next too there own.
    And correct userbase forum :)

    Let's hope fiber will bring more peering and bandwith and become cheaper

  • @debaser said: The seem to stress the Namur region, but other than that all signs point to OVH. The 250Mbps speed, the DDoS filtering, the place they run their website. Might try them out to get to the bottom of that.

    yes, I fully agree, especially the dedis and stuff is probably just reselling. could be though, that the VMs are belgium, dunno... maybe really someone tries and ask for a refund if not belgium. would be a good test on support and handling billing issues as well, LOL.

  • @Falzo said:

    @debaser said: The seem to stress the Namur region, but other than that all signs point to OVH. The 250Mbps speed, the DDoS filtering, the place they run their website. Might try them out to get to the bottom of that.

    yes, I fully agree, especially the dedis and stuff is probably just reselling. could be though, that the VMs are belgium, dunno... maybe really someone tries and ask for a refund if not belgium. would be a good test on support and handling billing issues as well, LOL.

    It’s OVH in Roubaix :'(. And by signing up I waived my right of withdrawal. But, meh 2.99. Was worth a try.

    They’re honest about it in their (very nice) panel.

    Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

    Ah yes it was telnet.be easy memory mistake to pull out of my brain as belnet I think :)

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @debaser said:

    @Falzo said:

    @debaser said: The seem to stress the Namur region, but other than that all signs point to OVH. The 250Mbps speed, the DDoS filtering, the place they run their website. Might try them out to get to the bottom of that.

    yes, I fully agree, especially the dedis and stuff is probably just reselling. could be though, that the VMs are belgium, dunno... maybe really someone tries and ask for a refund if not belgium. would be a good test on support and handling billing issues as well, LOL.

    It’s OVH in Roubaix :'(.

    Lol, it’s not even Roubaix, but Gravelines. Good god.

    [snip]
    6) nl-ams17b-rc1-lag-9-0.aorta.net (84.116.130.241) 6.709 ms, 1/9 ps, 88.9% loss
    7) nl-ams09c-ri1-ae-5-0.aorta.net (84.116.134.54) 6.249 ms, 9/9 ps, 0.0% loss
    8) be100-153.ams-5-a9.nl.eu (91.121.131.85) 7.459 ms, 9/9 ps, 0.0% loss
    9) be104.gra-g2-nc5.fr.eu (213.251.128.66) 14.643 ms, 9/9 ps, 0.0% loss
    10) * * *
    
    Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • Gravelines is better if u live in BE ;)
    Have arround 14-16ms
    Roubaix is higher

  • @Buthead said:
    Gravelines is better if u live in BE ;)
    Have arround 14-16ms
    Roubaix is higher

    Ah, wouldn't have thought that. From The Netherlands Roubaix is a little bit faster, I thought because it's closer by.

    OVH has a single 100Gbps connection between Brussels and Gravelines. Between Amsterdam and Gravelines it's 300Gbps, and Amsterdam-Roubaix is 500Gbps, which might explain that it's a bit faster.

    But anyway: No Belgium, so no good for @AnthonySmith s contest.

    Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • @thedp said:
    https://fusa.be/nl/hosting/offer - not a VPS, but a dedi ;)

    Try this @AnthonySmith :joy:

    Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale! (Now with 30% discount for Black Friday!)

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

    @thedp said:

    @thedp said:
    https://fusa.be/nl/hosting/offer - not a VPS, but a dedi ;)

    Try this @AnthonySmith :joy:

    Sold out.

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @AnthonySmith said:

    @thedp said:

    @thedp said:
    https://fusa.be/nl/hosting/offer - not a VPS, but a dedi ;)

    Try this @AnthonySmith :joy:

    Sold out.

    Oh shoot.

    Yeah looks like the Atom is gone and only AMD E-350 is in stock.

    Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale! (Now with 30% discount for Black Friday!)

Sign In or Register to comment.