Hurricane Electric Free DNS

Anyone using Hurricane Electric Free DNS Service?

The WebGUI is very ugly, but they have a large global network

«1

Comments

  • Used to.

    It has been around for ages and no cosmetic changes 😂

    Thanked by (2)aaronstuder Abdullah

    Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale! (Now with 30% discount for Black Friday!)

  • I use it for a couple, it's great for DNS - but agreed, to actually use it's not very nice..

  • @thedp said: Used to.

    How was it when you used it? Did changes updates quickly?

  • Used them for years, no problems whatsoever, they're good and free.
    10000 records zone limit, something like that.

    Educationally teaches you with knowledge, while you learn and conglomeratively alluminate your academic intellectual profile: https://lowend.wiki
    „Homo homini rattus.“

  • @aaronstuder said:

    @thedp said: Used to.

    How was it when you used it? Did changes updates quickly?

    No issues as far as I can recall.

    When someone’s looking for DNS Hosting that’s free and reliable, it would have been either HE’s or Afraid.

    Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale! (Now with 30% discount for Black Friday!)

  • If you turn off cloudflare's cdn feature it works like a free dns 😂

    The all seeing eye sees everything...

  • @aaronstuder said:

    @thedp said: Used to.

    How was it when you used it? Did changes updates quickly?

    I'm still using them. Never had issues in the past 5... 6... 7.. dunno years. Changes propagate in less than a minute.

    Thanked by (1)aaronstuder
  • @terrorgen said: loudflare's cdn feature it

    @terrorgen said:
    If you turn off cloudflare's cdn feature it works like a free dns 😂

    Trying to move away from them. Just feels like the right thing to do for me.

  • @Janevski said:
    Used them for years, no problems whatsoever, they're good and free.
    10000 records zone limit, something like that.

    I also use dns.he.net with no issues.

    Currently, the free service is limited to 50 zones, but this is fine for my use.

    "A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

  • flipsflips OG
    edited October 27

    Regarding dns.he.net, I think they still do that thing where their servers stop returning queries for your domain if they don’t detect NS as being pointed to them.
    Makes for rough transitions of production setups. (@jarland mentioned this on HostedTalk ...)

    I think 1984's Free DNS is nice.

  • @flips said: I think 1984's Free DNS is nice.

    I use them too for DNS. It's very good and most important: no big tech.

  • Why does anyone care what HE's GUI looks like? Is there an API? Are 1984's servers in Iceland? That seems like unnecessary latency for most of us.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @flips said:
    Regarding dns.he.net, I think they still do that thing where their servers stop returning queries for your domain if they don’t detect NS as being pointed to them.
    Makes for rough transitions of production setups. (@jarland mentioned this on HostedTalk ...)

    In my experience, the transition to dns.he.net doesn't take so long (it takes some minutes, but well less than half an hour), but I guess that for a busy production site, this would still be an issue. It's best to simply use dns.he.net from the beginning rather than to transition to them later. :)

    "A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

  • I use HE.net and find it to be very good. I run a hidden master, so no need to worry about HE API or web interface, just change on the master and do a notify for AXFR.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @willie said:
    Why does anyone care what HE's GUI looks like?

    In general, ancient UI can imply its abandoned or no longer being developed. Matters more when you're needing or expecting new features. You don't want to invest your time and energy into something that is dead whenever the next big issue happens.

  • It's a very good platform. However vultr's free dns would be my recommendation.

  • @AlSwearengen said: In general, ancient UI can imply its abandoned or no longer being developed.

    For me, ancient looking ui's mean the dev is not seduced by current shiny bloatcrap. I write ancient looking UI's and web pages all the time ;-).

  • I literally could not give two shits if the UI looks like it is from 1996. If the product is reliable and quick and the UI does what it needs to do, then I see no problems. You don't need to have a GUI refresh every 2 years for your product to work well.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware

    Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

  • flipsflips OG
    edited October 28

    @willie said:
    Is there an API? Are 1984's servers in Iceland? That seems like unnecessary latency for most of us.

    They have 5 DNS servers, geographically spread, responding well.
    API: There's an "API for Let's Encrypt authentication"
    Only drawbacks I've discovered is lack of CNAME flattening (ALIAS or similar) record type and TTL can't be set very low (IIRC can't be lower than 900).
    And no anycast ... (There are other providers providing this ...)

    I found 1984's offering to be a good fit for my needs. And the GUI is nice and DNSSEC works. B)

    Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @flips said: And no anycast ...

    HE does have anycast.

    Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • @tetech said:

    @flips said: And no anycast ...

    HE does have anycast.

    And no DNSSEC, crappy GUI and guaranteed bumpy move of production sites ... ;)

    (Maybe I'm just old, as I haven't figured put why I should bother with anycast ...) :#

  • I wanted to use it, but they don't allow domains with numbers only due to spam reasons.

  • edited October 28

    The truth is that there's no shortage of good free-DNS solutions nowadays (dns.he.net being one of them), which is a happy situation for end-users. (It wasn't always this way.)

    "A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

  • Hurricane Electric DNS supports dynamic updates of A and AAAA records though the dyndns protocol.
    I delegated a subdomain to HE and configured the home router to send updates there, so that I can connect to the home router from outside.

    https://yoursunny.com/ stallion coder; push-up specialist
    Using boxes from SmartHost, Gullo, Evolution Host, MaxKVM, Virmach, summer-host.

  • @sureiam said:
    It's a very good platform. However vultr's free dns would be my recommendation.

    I have created an account with Vultr but I do not see any DNS related option. Perhaps I would have to buy a service with them first?

    Thanked by (1)sureiam
  • @sgheghele said:

    @sureiam said:
    It's a very good platform. However vultr's free dns would be my recommendation.

    I have created an account with Vultr but I do not see any DNS related option. Perhaps I would have to buy a service with them first?

    You have to add a domain.

    Thanked by (1)sureiam
  • @aaronstuder said:

    @sgheghele said:

    @sureiam said:
    It's a very good platform. However vultr's free dns would be my recommendation.

    I have created an account with Vultr but I do not see any DNS related option. Perhaps I would have to buy a service with them first?

    You have to add a domain.

    I am sorry, I feel so stupid. Where do you add it? Under products I can only deploy an instance. The other options are not related to DNS or domains (I opened them all to be sure).

    Under my name (upper right corner), I only see these options.

  • @sgheghele said:

    @aaronstuder said:

    @sgheghele said:

    @sureiam said:
    It's a very good platform. However vultr's free dns would be my recommendation.

    I have created an account with Vultr but I do not see any DNS related option. Perhaps I would have to buy a service with them first?

    You have to add a domain.

    I am sorry, I feel so stupid. Where do you add it? Under products I can only deploy an instance. The other options are not related to DNS or domains (I opened them all to be sure).

    Under my name (upper right corner), I only see these options.

    Here

    Thanked by (1)sgheghele
  • @harikarki thanks! As this was missing in my profile, it made me try to link my credit card. Now it's visible.

    Thanked by (1)harikarki
  • @tetech said:
    I use HE.net and find it to be very good. I run a hidden master, so no need to worry about HE API or web interface, just change on the master and do a notify for AXFR.

    How do you find the AXFR response times, i.e. update delay, these days?

    When I looked at HE a few years back the AXFR timing seemed very erratic, changes could take ages (10's of minutes) to propagate, making it problematic for DNS based authorisation, e.g. Letsencrypt.

Sign In or Register to comment.