Blocking ads in YouTube Android and iOS app

Does anyone here have a working setup that successfully blocks ads on mobile (iOS and Android) for the YouTube app?

DOS = HIGH?!?
I knew it was on something!

Comments

  • Premium subscription? ;)

    Thanked by (2)bdl yoursunny
  • YouTube Vanced for Android.

  • SovaSova OG
    edited November 5

    @saibal said:
    YouTube Vanced for Android.

    Do you know of anything similar to this only for YouTube Music?

    EDIT: Just saw that Vanced has support for Music as well! Trying it out!

    DOS = HIGH?!?
    I knew it was on something!

  • For non-jailbroken iOS device, you can use altstore or any signing services (usually $20/yr) to install a tweaked version of YouTube.

  • Vanced.

    ios : sad

  • Well as a former employee of YT working on the mobile app, I’d say buying a premium subscription is the easiest way. :smirk:

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    It don’t be like it is until it do.

  • Youtube family subscription from eBay.

    You have been invited to experience the Waking Up app for free. The app is unlocked for one month. Enjoy.
    https://share.wakingup.com/1cb1d7 (extra signature line removed)

  • +1 for Vanced

  • vanced.. or m.youtube.com open in opera mobile/ another browser with adblocker

  • I am not arguing pro or against adblocking but purely from technical perspective the most reliable way to block ads on a device you do not fully control like android or ios is to put a device you do control in front of it and block anything you want there

    for example setup vpn on the mobile device and have vpn server block the ads (via hosts file, dnsmasq etc)

  • @comi said:
    I am not arguing pro or against adblocking but purely from technical perspective the most reliable way to block ads on a device you do not fully control like android or ios is to put a device you do control in front of it and block anything you want there

    for example setup vpn on the mobile device and have vpn server block the ads (via hosts file, dnsmasq etc)

    Youtube uses the same servers to play back ads as they do videos, so DNS level filtering does not work.

    Thanked by (3)comi Ympker vimalware

    Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

  • Yeah, I tried the DNS route, did not work obviously :)

    Vanced seems to work fine on Android but I'm still left hanging on iOS. @Iroshan464 Never thought this would be sold on eBay. I'm gonna take a look into this further. Thanks for the suggestion.

    DOS = HIGH?!?
    I knew it was on something!

  • @Sova
    Everything is on eBay.
    😁
    Actually I bought on few months back and worked fine.
    Cheapest ones are just subscription trials. Some have continues subscription too.
    I didnt renew because I use vanced anyway.

    You have been invited to experience the Waking Up app for free. The app is unlocked for one month. Enjoy.
    https://share.wakingup.com/1cb1d7 (extra signature line removed)

  • @CamoYoshi said:

    @comi said:
    I am not arguing pro or against adblocking but purely from technical perspective the most reliable way to block ads on a device you do not fully control like android or ios is to put a device you do control in front of it and block anything you want there

    for example setup vpn on the mobile device and have vpn server block the ads (via hosts file, dnsmasq etc)

    Youtube uses the same servers to play back ads as they do videos, so DNS level filtering does not work.

    not only that, they actually started using httpS for all the connections
    I'm impressed ;)

  • edited November 6

    @Iroshan464 said:
    @Sova
    Everything is on eBay.
    😁
    Actually I bought on few months back and worked fine.
    Cheapest ones are just subscription trials. Some have continues subscription too.
    I didnt renew because I use vanced anyway.

    Most are probably stolen account or something.. you can buy permium sub for few bucks with vpn to countries like argentina.. Also, the premium in my country costs 1 usd / month to me because of(student discount etc.) But it is still not worth it as the YouTube app just gets worse... Specially now that YouTube vanced natively supports sponsor block..

  • You can fish out some integrated adds via a VPS and pihole but youtube is tricky.

  • @havoc said:
    You can fish out some integrated adds via a VPS and pihole but youtube is tricky.

    Exactly. I have Diversion installed on the router level and it has an experimental feature where it blocks YouTube ads but it looks to me like it's a losing battle for Diversion.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware

    DOS = HIGH?!?
    I knew it was on something!

  • Looks good, no iOS though. Vanced currently works just fine for me on Android but if it goes belly up, I'll look into newpipe more.

    DOS = HIGH?!?
    I knew it was on something!

  • Just tried out both Vanced and Newpipe: didn't like the former's apparent complexity and stuck with the second.

  • Was gonna say, newpipe is great and you can intall it from f-droid.org.

Sign In or Register to comment.