OVH Cloud shuts down Guerrilla Mail

williewillie OG
edited November 2020 in Industry News

I don't know what Guerilla Mail is but it might be something like Mailinator. Also don't know if this is the US part of OVH Cloud which I think may be a separate company partly due to issues like this.

Comments

• Everybody on the HN discussion is assuming that OVH is overreacting to a complaint. Personally, I think it's much more likely that it's just typical OVH shenanigans.

• @willie said:
    I don't know what Guerilla Mail is but it might be something like Mailinator.

Yeah, you're right. It's a "disposable email service". I've used it a few times in the past when software has required me to put my email in for their newsletter, just to download their free version.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

Send 'em my way.

Francisco

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

I can think of a lot more reasons to get rid of a disposable email service than I can to keep one.

Thanked by (2)alento bikegremlin

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• Aw, that's unfortunate. I loved their services. Was nice for a variety of reasons.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @jarland said:
    I can think of a lot more reasons to get rid of a disposable email service than I can to keep one.

What exactly does "disposable" apply to? The email? The service? The company? ;)

Thanked by (1)comi
  • @flips said:

@jarland said:

What exactly does "disposable" apply to? The email? The service? The company? ;)

"Disposable e-mail" means an e-mail address or inbox, which is temporary, and random, to receive e-mail messages. Anyone can access any disposable e-mail address, because there is no password and no personal information behind it (except your IP). Such service is useful for registering online with websites that you do not trust to hold your real information, or for sending fast e-mail messages (without login or private info).

• Good explanation, I was just trying to be funny. :#