Let's talk about RYZEN

I was at the ol' neighborhood (the other green forum), thinking about creating this thread but figured it would be better to post this here since I believe most users around this part are providers or people with high level of knowledge in the tech industry. /Compliment

Looking at the market its clear to me that Ryzen has taken over the server industry. I was looking at Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC and ...

I was also wondering how a Desktop / consumer rated CPU ended up being used officially as server grade CPU by all kind of providers (from low end to high end providers, to datacenters Hetzner , etc.)?

There has always been the equivalent Intel desktop CPU consumer that outperforms the Server grade CPU , but the industry refrained from using those desktop CPU on Server environments. But for Ryzen this is no longer the case.

I get it, Ryzen performance seems to be superior to the equivalent server grade EPYC and budget wise it makes sense. But is it justifiable? What about manufacturer support on such environment? What about server grade mobos (there is probably just one? Asrock) ?

What are the possible drawbacks? Have you experienced any issues with them? What's up with the hype?

I was reading at this TR vs EPYC comparison (by the way pretty amazing comparison and details) at this link:

https://sviko.com/t/threadripper-vs-epyc-comparison-of-three-32-core-amd-processors-in-server-applications/131

From my end I've been using some providers with Ryzen (VPS), no complain, works as good as any other CPU, at least for my kind of usage (web servers, DB).

Let's have a smart conversation. Take a cup of coffee or tea, join the arena.

Comments

• Dumb consumers like me don't care whether the CPU has "Server Grade" labeled onto it, as long as it executes the instructions as I want.

• Well, one of reasons for wanting "server grade" cpu is ECC. It's pretty important.

Other than that, I don't see any difference other than warranties.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• It has a reasonable power usage, and it supports ECC and isn't ridiculously expensive, even new. For those who actually want to use it, and don't care about Enterprise Certified ™, it's basically the perfect choice.

Thanked by (2)Hxxx MaxKVM
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I would not say AMD has taken over the server industry at all, the market share vs intel is tiny.

I do expect it to happen but it will probably be another 5 years or so until super micro, dell, hp etc start to actually design chassis’s and platforms around AMD.

If AMD were to release a CPU with servers in mind with a price tag near the Ryzen range with Server ram support that would be a game changer, atm EPYC is to slow per core and it works out cheaper at scale and faster per core using intel.

All the Ryzen stuff you see atm are Frankenstein builds, no doubt they are good but at real scale it does not work and tons of people running them have thermal issues.

Thanked by (1)Hxxx

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Corporates do not like frankenstein builds.

And that's where the real dough is since they are willing to pay over the odds for some stupid "certified" shit.

Thanked by (1)Hxxx

• edited November 2020

DIY Ryzens do not get Dell /HPs next day replacement supply chain logistics.

Aws is pretty much going to be 50/50% epyc / (ARM) Graviton 2/3/4 in the coming years.

The rest of cloud vendors are going to hug Epyc hard by 2021.

Poor Intel

Edit: PS: Aws has a free trial ongoing until Dec 31 for their Graviton2 T4G Micro instance (750hrs of these ARM based ec2 instances will be billed at $0 for November and December each )
    you're eligible even if you have exhausted the first year free tier for their classic T1/2 micro.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

As some others have said the big companies don't want the Frankenstein builds. We have built out a decent amount of Ryzen systems not only for ourselves but also for a lot of our colocation customers as it's sometimes easier for us to build those at the data center than ship everything twice.
    Heat hasn't been a big issue that we have noticed on these builds mostly due to solid datacenter cooling.

Quite a few of our enterprise customers are switching over to AMD for a lot of builds, however venders have been quite slow at working with AMD due to past issues they had with sales. At this point I would say another 1-2 years at the most and we will start seeing a lot more offerings.

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+

• It really depends on how much Intel will continue to screw up.

If they continue to fuck themselves in nose for the next 2 or 3 years, they will start to lose their grip on server market share.

• holy shit, i am visiting this forum for only 2 days and this ryzen madness is all over my mind.

after trying out 1GB RAM, 1Core ryzen vps and looking at hetzen ax series prices....i just can't think of any other vps/dedis.

i can get a dedi for just €34 which is less than what i pay for all vpses and gives me more space, cores (except ips).

• BochiBochi OG
    edited November 2020

@seenu said:
    holy shit, i am visiting this forum for only 2 days and this ryzen madness is all over my mind.

Yeah, that's the problem with it: it's addicting! ;) Not just the CPUs, but all of the VPS stuff...ask me or anyone else around here.

Thanked by (1)seenu
  • @seenu said:
    holy shit, i am visiting this forum for only 2 days and this ryzen madness is all over my mind.

I don't even know which CPU my boxes have. Ryzen or not, if I'm not allowed to use 100% at all times, it doesn't make a difference.

The only time I notice a limitation in CPU is on Virmach.

after trying out 1GB RAM, 1Core ryzen vps and looking at hetzen ax series prices....i just can't think of any other vps/dedis.

If only Hetzner is in Los Angeles or Singapore …

i can get a dedi for just €34 which is less than what i pay for all vpses and gives me more space, cores (except ips).

Assuming nobody is blocking your IPs, you only need one IPv4. Put each service on IPv6, and setup reverse proxy on that IPv4.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said: If only Hetzner is in Los Angeles or Singapore …

luckily it works with helenski for me and does using cloudflare remove that barrier?

@yoursunny said: Assuming nobody is blocking your IPs, you only need one IPv4. Put each service on IPv6, and setup reverse proxy on that IPv4.

that is the only blocker for me now i.e. if someone can guide me (a link perhaps) on how to do that then i can jump into ryzens.

btw, that method supports visitors with ipv4 ips right?