Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• @LeonDynamic said:
    @DA_Mark have you decided about releasing the Pro Pack as an additional add-on for people with LT Licences or Datacentre Licences and what the pricing structure might look like for these?

Nothing yet. I'd like to see more of it done, which will really help gauge demand. NodeJS, some really slick Wordpress stuff, and advanced backups/migrations/imports would be on my list.

At this time, any lifetime license gets the Pro Pack thrown in when they add paid support to it. If you do the math, you're getting the perks of a Standard license (support + Pro Pack) at almost half the price of it.

Datacenters are a different problem, due to the heavy discounts (even on the monthly licenses). Even adding a few dollars to a license means a significant % increase and they will be singing the blues.

Maybe we just need to realize, such discounted/lifetime/legacy pricing just isn't a good match for something like the Pro Pack that is better suited to retail pricing. Of course, nothing is set in stone yet.

The problem with a super low price is that is biases our mind to anything in the future. For example, let's say I get a new BMW car for $100. Later I go to the car wash, and it costs me $10. I'm not paying 10% of the price of my car, just to have it washed! Even 1% is too much. Therefore, the car wash operator must give me a below-$1 car wash solution... right? :#

This is why we really want to impress with the Pro Pack. It should be based on it's own merit, not based on what someone paid for their legacy license. For example, someone pointed out that we aren't the only ones (or first ones) to come up with some kind of throttling solution. But @smtalk explained, ours is more impressive. It throttles more (all processes), supports more OS's, is very resource-efficient, and actually.. well.. throttles instead of kills.

TLDR; too early to tell. We'd rather focus on adding to it, and impressing people with it, instead of getting ahead of ourselves and try to pre-sell it.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • @DA_Mark said: Maybe we just need to realize, such discounted/lifetime/legacy > pricing just isn't a good match for something like the Pro Pack that is better suited to retail pricing. Of course, nothing is set in stone > yet.

Absolutely, I think you would be making a mistake to include the Pro Pack in discounted/lifetime/legacy. What you provide now is good enough. If people in those categories want the pro option, I am sure you will provide a competitive cost to add.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited April 2021

Anyone who cries about paying for the pro license should not be calling themselves a provider.

I understand that, it is a broad statement, but if the core features remains the same, it is not a price hike, but rather upgrading your build to luxury class.

With that said, some discount would be dope for DC folks though 💜

• edited April 2021

@seriesn said:
    Anyone who cries about paying for the pro license should not be calling themselves a provider.

I understand that, it is a broad statement, but if the core features remains the same, it is not a price hike, but rather upgrading your build to luxury class.

With that said, some discount would be dope for DC folks though 💜

Especially when you use a site like the wayback machine to see that the Standard license as it is today is the same price it was in 2003. To sweeten the deal, it gets the Pro Pack and even further quantity discounts that kick in as soon as 4 licenses. So, while it may be unrealistic to offer Pro Pack in the legacy/heavily discount stuff, I hope this shows the alternative is anything but a greedy price increase.

Regarding DC folks -- as mentioned before, they all should have enough volume to get that 25% bulk discount on retail licenses (meaning, right now, they can offer better than our retail pricing) and we are thinking of ways to sweeten the deal a little bit more, while keeping a level playing field. Perhaps a little better DC discount, but one that you cannot pass onto the customer? Thus, you actually make a some profit on the licenses instead of reselling a product at-cost, which is not really a productive use of your time? We are still brainstorming this but it's one that came to mind.

• HxxxHxxx OG
    edited April 2021

There is something terrible with the format these forums threads are run. Having long threads with multiple topics is unproductive.

I would rather prefer to have many different DA threads, since its important and possibly it's own category for easy index. For instance there could be a thread about the pro pack, and many others different threads with topics related to DA.

The cesspool format is not good for important topics.

To further explain this thread has 10 pages, I've only looked at the page 10 and maybe some of the first one, lot's of garbage in between and possibly many important topics lost. Time is precious.

Just my 2 cents which nobody asked.
    @Mason @mikho

Thanked by (1)Razza
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Hxxx
    This is a forum, feel free to open a thread about a specific topic of your choice. ;)

Thanked by (2)Lee flips

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• LeeLee OG
    edited April 2021

@Hxxx said: Time is precious.

What? Just yours? Do something about it if you think it could be better done. Nobody will stop you from opening a few threads.

• @mikho said:
    @Hxxx
    This is a forum, feel free to open a thread about a specific topic of your choice. ;)

Me sure. But I'm not the one talking important topics. Just a tourist looking.

• @Lee said:

@Hxxx said: Time is precious.

What? Just yours? Do something about it if you think it could be better done. Nobody will stop you from opening a few threads.

I can't do anything to make it better. I always open a new thread when I have something important to share. But for instance a global DA thread that touches many topics as people add more and more to it, might not be the way for future visitors looking for info.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    1. I'm already impressed!
    2. I'm excited to get away from CloudLinux. It has it's perks, but I want to run Debian + DirectAdmin + DirectAdmin Pro. What a dream.
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@DA_Mark said:

@Lee said:

Any interest from larger cloud providers, DO, Vultr, Hetzner or others in them offering licences?

There has been some, but nothing really came of it. I have to be honest that lack of motivation on this end was part of it. Flying under the radar is our biggest strength right now. Development is more important than high volume & ultra-low margins, and creating a better product is more important to us. When I say lack of motivation, I don't mean laziness. I just mean we would rather create hype by improving the product, rather than attempting every "strategic alliance" we can get. We are kind of like the antimatter of venture capitalists. :joy:

On that note, it's been a long time since the last release but I can say we have ~100 items (features/fixes/etc) since the last one. Within the next day or two I plan to post some more fun stuff about that.

P.S. Congrats on my first post.

This is awesome. And the proper way to think IMO :)

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Lee said:
    Thanks, if I do something it will use my own hardware and not be lowend.

Weeeelcome back!

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • edited April 2021

If any fellow LES member has tried to convert a DA installation on CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8, how has been your experience so far?

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• @vpsgeek3333 said:

If any fellow LES member has tried to convert a DA installation on CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8, how has been your experience so far?

Converted over a server and all ticking along nicely and haven’t faced any issues

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek3333 MichaelCee
  • I've been using this plugin (originally via Github) to manage DNS records between Cloudflare and DirectAdmin called DAFlare and found it really useful. It enables the ability to manage and sync DNS from the DA control panel directly and push the updates into CF. The creator, Paul, has been added some really useful features and the project has really developed from what was originally added through the GitHub scripts.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee vpsgeek3333
  • @DA_Mark
    A wee bit of frustration..
    I decided to utilise my shutdown Inception VPS for further trials on the charity site that I'm working on. I raised a Ticket with IH earlier on, for the licence activation. It was late in the working day, so no expectation of any reply until at least tomorrow.
    A few hours later, I thought I'd crack on and install Ubuntu (yuk! but it's a trial) and initiate a DA installation.
    You know what happened: it failed at the update stage rather than install in a trial mode until the licence got issued. Oh well, I thought, I'll just Register on DA myself to activate a trial licence.
    Ha! You got me! The recaptcha doesn't show in Firefox 88.0 (64-bit) Linux Mint.
    Shall I reboot into Windoze 10? Nah, ain't got the energy for that shit tonight (losing the other three virtual desktops that I have open, for totally different tasks/information).

Patience.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

I am still looking for a way to add my public key to every sub account, so I can easily ssh into my sub account.

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@Hxxx said:
    There is something terrible with the format these forums threads are run. Having long threads with multiple topics is unproductive.

I would rather prefer to have many different DA threads, since its important and possibly it's own category for easy index. For instance there could be a thread about the pro pack, and many others different threads with topics related to DA.

The cesspool format is not good for important topics.

To further explain this thread has 10 pages, I've only looked at the page 10 and maybe some of the first one, lot's of garbage in between and possibly many important topics lost. Time is precious.

Just my 2 cents which nobody asked.
    @Mason @mikho

Perhaps you want to go to direct admin forum instead?

• edited May 2021

Looking for a spot of guidance.
    At the moment, I'm using directadmin as the backend on one test server, with Ubuntu 20.04 (yuk!).
    For my charity work, I need to have a specific set of software installed - it has been a bit of a nightmare to get a working solution due to a lack of distinct documentation. I require mySQL 5.6, Java JRE/SDK 1.8 and Tomcat 7 (I hate java with a passion due to its' strict versioning to get stuff to work).
    When installing DA again, I eventually discovered an option to not install mySQL upfront - it installs a later version making going back not the easiest thing to do. Once I figured out how to manually add relevant SQL permissions/passwords for da_admin etc., I got something running. However I can't get phpMyadmin to work now.

TLDR:
    @DA_Mark /anyone; Is there any easy way to install directadmin with a specific mySQL version(, that has an operational phpmyadmin)?

As to my previous post, I since discovered somewhere in the documentation, that it's possible to ignore the licence during installation. Can't remember where though but irrelevant now.

[Edit]
    Answering my own query (perhaps), I'm going to grab my current /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf, rebuild the OS, then insert the options.conf file, prior to running DA setup.sh

• Follow up:
    Well, mySQL version was successful, though preconfiguring php extensions didn't work and phpmyadmin still won't open in DA.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @DA_Mark /anyone; Is there any easy way to install directadmin with a specific mySQL version(, that has an operational phpmyadmin)?

There are multiple options:
    1) You may set it before the installation (https://docs.directadmin.com/getting-started/installation/overview#running-the-installation-with-predefined-options), in your case:
    export mysql_inst=mysql
    export mysql=5.6

2) You may re-install it after installation: https://docs.directadmin.com/other-hosting-services/mariadb-mysql/general#how-to-limit-mysql-usage-for-users

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • I have a shared hosting with wndp and use chevereto to upload images (using sharex). The problem is, the uploaded image link has no previews when pasted on telegram or discord. I read a thread https://chevereto.com/community/threads/no-preview-images-in-chat-programs.12632/ which says this could be a config inside the host.

I don't have hotlink protection enabled on DA and I'm not really sure where to look. Does anybody have any idea?

• @dosai said:
    I have a shared hosting with wndp and use chevereto to upload images (using sharex). The problem is, the uploaded image link has no previews when pasted on telegram or discord. I read a thread https://chevereto.com/community/threads/no-preview-images-in-chat-programs.12632/ which says this could be a config inside the host.

I don't have hotlink protection enabled on DA and I'm not really sure where to look. Does anybody have any idea?

Wrong thread buddy. Your best bet is to ask the software developers for a faster solution. This may or may not require specific software and script level troubleshooting.

Alternatively, open a ticket with your host and see if they have any idea. :)

Thanked by (1)dosai
  • @seriesn said:

@dosai said:
    I have a shared hosting with wndp and use chevereto to upload images (using sharex). The problem is, the uploaded image link has no previews when pasted on telegram or discord. I read a thread https://chevereto.com/community/threads/no-preview-images-in-chat-programs.12632/ which says this could be a config inside the host.

Wrong thread buddy. Your best bet is to ask the software developers for a faster solution. This may or may not require specific software and script level troubleshooting.

Alternatively, open a ticket with your host and see if they have any idea. :)

Sorry my bad. Thank you!

Anyone else testing the pro pack?

• @SmallWeb said:

Unfortunately haven’t got any Retail licences so can’t test it out at the moment. I was going to wait until full Pro pack features are released and then test it out with a trial Retail licence.

Are you testing it out at the moment? What are your thoughts?

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
    edited May 2021

@LeonDynamic said:

@SmallWeb said:

Unfortunately haven’t got any Retail licences so can’t test it out at the moment. I was going to wait until full Pro pack features are released and then test it out with a trial Retail licence.

Are you testing it out at the moment? What are your thoughts?

I switched one of my servers to pre release binaries and I'm using what's available. Haven't tested yet but Nginx Unit is enabled and replaces most of the end-user functions I was providing with CloudLinux. Resource usage not functioning right now.

I am excited though.

Edit: Perhaps it should be configured on the demo site once released.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • @SmallWeb said: Resource usage not functioning right now.

Do you have any problems with it? As resource limits is a finished feature.

edited May 2021

@smtalk said:

@SmallWeb said: Resource usage not functioning right now.

Do you have any problems with it? As resource limits is a finished feature.

I see "Resource Limits" when logged in as a reseller only (not admin) so I'm getting a forbidden error.

"Forbidden

Requested page doesn't belong to your authority level"

I might have dreamt it but it might be the same on the DA demo and/or another provider I used.

Edit: "Feature disabled" when I try to replace the reseller link with admin link. I followed the short doc on the website but maybe I've missed something. 😁

• @SmallWeb said:
    I switched one of my servers to pre release binaries and I'm using what's available. Haven't tested yet but Nginx Unit is enabled and replaces most of the end-user functions I was providing with CloudLinux. Resource usage not functioning right now.

I am excited though.

Edit: Perhaps it should be configured on the demo site once released.

I am too. I think with the full features enabled such as resource usage, incremental backups, etc it’s going to be a good addition and I can replace CloudLinux and Jetbackup.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee