Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• @MikePT @SmallWeb Suppose I have a DA reseller hosting account from some hosting company but I already have my own remote dns running via multi server setup & want to utilize the reseller account with that remote DNS, is it possible currently with DirectAdmin?

Thanked by (1)MikePT

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited June 2020

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    @MikePT @SmallWeb Suppose I have a DA reseller hosting account from some hosting company but I already have my own remote dns running via multi server setup & want to utilize the reseller account with that remote DNS, is it possible currently with DirectAdmin?

Let me know if you do find a solution 'cause I'd be interested too :)

Initial thoughts:

• ns1.yournameserver.com points to ns1.theirnameserver.com
    • have the admin somehow push your users dns zones to your cluster only/as well
    • automation that creates your dns zones using your resellers IP address
    • unknown api usage that I'm unaware of
    • ????
    • profit

Haven't really taken a deep dive into things that aren't standard.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek3333 MikePT
  • Sites hosted on DA load fast but when you access the control panel it is so slow. @MikePT the filemanager of LA shared does not load. When I click the icon, nothing. When I open in new tab, after the loading bar gets full, it just reopens the home screen.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • edited June 2020

@SmallWeb said:

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    @MikePT @SmallWeb Suppose I have a DA reseller hosting account from some hosting company but I already have my own remote dns running via multi server setup & want to utilize the reseller account with that remote DNS, is it possible currently with DirectAdmin?

Initial thoughts:

• ????
    • profit

When you have a reseller, why should you setup your/run own dns instead of just pointing the reseller ns to your own? Is it actually easy to do?

And most hardest part is indeed selling the hosting.

Thanked by (1)Asim
  • @exp3 said:
    Sites hosted on DA load fast but when you access the control panel it is so slow. @MikePT the filemanager of LA shared does not load. When I click the icon, nothing. When I open in new tab, after the loading bar gets full, it just reopens the home screen.

Sorry for the trouble. It now loaded.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@exp3 said:

@SmallWeb said:

@vpsgeek3333 said:

Initial thoughts:

• ????
    • profit

When you have a reseller, why should you setup your/run own dns instead of just pointing the reseller ns to your own? Is it actually easy to do?

And most hardest part is indeed selling the hosting.

For my use case, I have a mix of reseller/vps so consistent NS would be nice.

• I don’t think the multi server setup of DA can separate dns records between users/resellers. I know you could with cPanel DNS only as I believe Fran set it up with BuyShared.

• @exp3 said: but when you access the control panel it is so slow. @MikePT the filemanager

Do you have lots of directories and content inside? I think that server has 'directory size count' enabled, that's why it's slow :smile: Just try turning it off and it should become fast then.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said: but when you access the control panel it is so slow. @MikePT the filemanager

Do you have lots of directories and content inside? I think that server has 'directory size count' enabled, that's why it's slow :smile: Just try turning it off and it should become fast then.

Yep, that's the issue, I'll have this sorted today! :)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Started to use DA with a purpose today by migrating a live cPanel site.
    Going well so far.
    One thing that I noticed was the lack of a mod_security interface, to check loaded rules and the log etc.

It's there now in pre-release.

• @smtalk said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Started to use DA with a purpose today by migrating a live cPanel site.
    Going well so far.
    One thing that I noticed was the lack of a mod_security interface, to check loaded rules and the log etc.

It's there now in pre-release.

Great news! Thanks.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• How to disable ticket system in DA?

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    How to disable ticket system in DA?

I usually disable the menu items through "Customize Evolution Skin".

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333
  • SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    How to disable ticket system in DA?

Reseller Access Level -> Manage Tickets -> Ticket System Settings -> Ticket System Enabled checkbox

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek3333 Asim
  • I'm trying to copy that text but I get ": "o61,21v8298,142t:urlDecod instead. It's the modsecurity log viewer. Does it happen to any of you?

• @imok said:
    I'm trying to copy that text but I get ": "o61,21v8298,142t:urlDecod instead. It's the modsecurity log viewer. Does it happen to any of you?

Yep. Change the theme from Default to any other and you will be able to copy the text just fine.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

A few more years, and it will be a finished product... :anguished:

Thanked by (1)Asim

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

That’s a bit harsh. The development DA has had over the last year to 18 months has been phenomenal. The features and tweaks added for both users and admins has shown that they are interested in listening to feedback about their product but most importantly act on it and implement change.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Asim
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited November 2020

@LeonDynamic said:

@bikegremlin said:

That’s a bit harsh. The development DA has had over the last year to 18 months has been phenomenal. The features and tweaks added for both users and admins has shown that they are interested in listening to feedback about their product but most importantly act on it and implement change.

All true, I agree.

If they bought out cPanel and offered it using DirectAdmin pricing model (along with their price-rise protection/guarantee), which one would you rather pick?

My point was they are still not there yet. Not working with the default theme - did I get that right? :( It looks like something that should have been tested more thoroughly.
    But I agree the remark was a bit harsh - it's better to concentrate on the positives and provide constructive feedback.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    If they bought out cPanel and offered it using DirectAdmin pricing model (along with their price-rise protection/guarantee), which one would you rather pick?

Honestly, at this point I would choose DA. Previously used cPanel extensively across all my servers and had never used DA prior to price increase mid 2019.

Since then, I have changed all my servers to DA. Yes it’s been a learning curve, sometimes quite steep but I now feel more comfortable using and maintaining DA.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin MichaelCee
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2020

@bikegremlin said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@bikegremlin said:

All true, I agree.

My point was they are still not there yet. Not working with the default theme - did I get that right? :( It looks like something that should have been tested more thoroughly.
    But I agree the remark was a bit harsh - it's better to concentrate on the positives and provide constructive feedback.

IMO cPanel would need pretty much a re-write or a complete change in direction for me to use it now. Even if it was the same cost.

• AsimAsim OGServices Provider
    edited January 2021

OFFTOPIC: Can we have a wiki or a searchable index of hosts offering DirectAdmin free and other goodies?
    or at least a pinned thread here on this forum? @AnthonySmith

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Asim said:
    OFFTOPIC: Can we have a wiki or a searchable index of hosts offering DirectAdmin free and other goodies?

yes :)

Thanked by (1)Asim

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AnthonySmith said:

@Asim said:

I would prefer a page on the main site instead of a pinned topic in the forums.
    Over time the amount of pinned topics/announcements etc... will probably cover most of the first page.

Thanked by (1)Asim

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Asim said:

Over time the amount of pinned topics/announcements etc... will probably cover most of the first page.

Are you judging OGF?

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@seriesn said:

@mikho said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Asim said:

Are you judging OGF?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Just wondering if anyone here is running DirectAdmin prerelease binary. There has been a new theme added called Facelift. It looks similar to the existing Sidebar theme but appears to be a replacement for the Standard theme as when viewed on a mobile it changes back to the Standard theme.

@LeonDynamic said:
    Just wondering if anyone here is running DirectAdmin prerelease binary. There has been a new theme added called Facelift. It looks similar to the existing Sidebar theme but appears to be a replacement for the Standard theme as when viewed on a mobile it changes back to the Standard theme.

That's pretty neat.

• @LeonDynamic said:
    Just wondering if anyone here is running DirectAdmin prerelease binary. There has been a new theme added called Facelift. It looks similar to the existing Sidebar theme but appears to be a replacement for the Standard theme as when viewed on a mobile it changes back to the Standard theme.

Woot. Finally looks 2021!