Google near their storage limit?

edited December 2020 in General

Hi, recently I received this email on one my gmail account. Does that mean they are almost at storage limit?

Dear Google User,

We are writing to let you know that we recently announced new storage policies for Google Accounts using Gmail, Google Drive (including Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard files) and/or Google Photos that bring us in line with industry practices. Since you have previously used one or more of these products in your Google Account storage, we wanted to tell you about the new policies well before they go into effect on June 1, 2021. Below is a summary of the new policies. Please reference our Help Center article for a complete list of what's changing.

Summary of the new policies (effective June 1, 2021):
* If you're inactive for 2 years (24 months) in Gmail, Drive or Photos, we may delete the content in the product(s) in which you're inactive. Google One members who are within their storage quota and in good-standing will not be impacted by this new inactive policy.
* If you exceed your storage limit for 2 years, we may delete your content across Gmail, Drive and Photos.

What this means for you:
* You won't be impacted by these changes unless you've been inactive or over your storage limit for 2 years. As this policy goes into effect June 1, 2021, the earliest it would be enforced is June 1, 2023.
* After June 1, 2021, if you are either inactive or over your storage limit, we will send you email reminders and notifications in advance and prior to deleting any content.
* Even if you are either inactive or over your storage limit for one or more of these services and content is deleted, you will still be able to sign in.
* Note: The inactivity and over quota storage policies will apply only to consumer users of Google services. Google Workspace, G Suite for Education and G Suite for Nonprofits policies are not changing at this time, and admins should look to the Admin Help center for storage policies related to their subscriptions.

Learn more about how to keep your account active
* To learn more about how to remain active with these products, visit this Help Center page.
* The Inactive Account Manager can help you manage specific content and notify a trusted contact if you stop using your Google Account for a certain period of time (between 3-18 months). Note: the new 2 year inactive policy will apply regardless of your Inactive Account Manager settings. You can learn more about these changes and ways to manage your or a loved one's account in our Help Center.

Learn how to manage your storage
* Learn more about the over quota policy and what counts against storage quota.
* You can use the free storage manager in the Google One app and on the web to see how you're using your Google Account storage, and free up space across Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos.

Thank you for using our services.

Your Google Team

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Comments

• edited December 2020

EDIT: doublepost

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• Total google storage you get as a free user is 15GB.
    For all gmail docs and drive, etc.
    I think you're reaching the limit.
    So either you could do some cleaning to free up space. Or buy a google one subscription to increase the storage. Since it's just 1.99$ for 100gb I went with second option. It is much easier.
    As a last point, you could move away from google but not sure if it is worth the effort.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • I think they have had enough with everyone storing anything and everything through their services

• @Iroshan464 said:
    Total google storage you get as a free user is 15GB.
    So either you could do some cleaning to free up space. Or buy a google one subscription to increase the storage. Since it's just 1.99$ for 100gb I went with second option. It is much easier.
    As a last point, you could move away from google but not sure if it is worth the effort.

I only have around 500 MB data on drive, I think Google sent me an email because I idling it a lot. There are no such email on my other gmail account that I often use.

• Everyone got this "message" as far as I can tell... So maybe not for you, as I took it "not for me" =)

• Will this affect my gsuite ? I didnt get any email..

My little hobby site -> www.RaveX.eu
    Install windows on pretty much any vps or dedi! -> Click here

• RapToNRapToN Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2020

@RaveX said:
    Will this affect my gsuite ? I didnt get any email..

Note: The inactivity and over quota storage policies will apply only to consumer users of Google services. Google Workspace, G Suite for Education and G Suite for Nonprofits policies are not changing at this time, and admins should look to the Admin Help center for storage policies related to their subscriptions.

I think yes it will impact classic gsuit, but I am not familiar with google products.
    But no data seems to be deleted before 2023:

You won't be impacted by these changes unless you've been inactive or over your storage limit for 2 years. As this policy goes into effect June 1, 2021, the earliest it would be enforced is June 1, 2023.

• WolveixWolveix OG
    edited December 2020

Google announced a while ago that GSuite is going to be rebranded as Google Workspace, bringing pricing changes and ToS changes with it. Their primary issue is with organizations that acquire EDU pricing under false pretenses, resulting in thousands of abused "unlimited" accounts, each being sold for a small one-time fee on marketplaces like Ebay. Additionally, they probably have tens of thousands of inactive accounts, each using up 10GB+. This is a smart move on their part, purging inactive accounts is an incredibly reasonable thing to do, especially with the years of notice they've given.

GSuite Business has always been advertised as unlimited storage, or 1TB per user if you pay for less than 5 users. They have never enforced the latter condition. I personally pay for 5 accounts specifically to qualify for unlimited storage. I use one account for backups of backups, and another for ISOs.

The future is unclear for those utilizing GSuite/Workplace's "unlimited" offerings, but I'm not personally too concerned. Dropbox offers unlimited storage for a similar price to what I'm paying now, and frankly I wouldn't mind just building a local server to house my 200TB+ of content, but the longer I can hold off on doing that, the better.

• The cloud has endless capacity, hence endless storage.
    You can scale up to mars and beyond, if someone tells us, the cloud has limits, he lies.

Thanked by (3)chocolateshirt Ouji vyas
  • @Wolveix said: GSuite Business has always been advertised as unlimited storage, or 1TB per user if you pay for less than 5 users. They have never enforced the latter condition. I personally pay for 5 accounts specifically to qualify for unlimited storage. I use one account for backups of backups, and another for ISOs.

If you want such a account, please pm me. Currently only using 1, and im "abusing" their 1TB limit. Maybe i can hold on to my gsuite disks longer if i actually scale it up to 5 or more users (?)

I can see that google does not sell accounts like mine anymore, it just says contact support. Would be really shit to loose it. Dont wanna spend 100s of euros / month to store my data. :(

• If you want such a account, please pm me. Currently only using 1, and im "abusing" their 1TB limit. Maybe i can hold on to my gsuite disks longer if i actually scale it up to 5 or more users (?)

I'm guessing this offer wasn't directed at me? I already have 5 accounts, and have over 300TB stored overall.

• @Wolveix said:

If you want such a account, please pm me. Currently only using 1, and im "abusing" their 1TB limit. Maybe i can hold on to my gsuite disks longer if i actually scale it up to 5 or more users (?)

I'm guessing this offer wasn't directed at me? I already have 5 accounts, and have over 300TB stored overall.

It was more to the forum in general, i quoted your text to make sure people got the context. But if you want to spend 10.40 instead of over 50 euros / month on storage, you are more than welcome ofcourse.

• RaveX, how much data do you have exactly? There are quite a few services available with "unlimited" storage, like JottaCloud (where the limit seems to be at least 15TB, with lower speeds if over 5TB, although do note that they are known to delete accounts with Linux ISOs, so you'd have to keep everything in encrypted containers, in case this is your use case)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• lately i am not getting why people are storing so many linux ISOs in google and other backup sites.

what exactly is their purpose...i am not able to guess (when you can get same ISOs from their official sites anyways)

• @seenu said:
    lately i am not getting why people are storing so many linux ISOs in google and other backup sites.

what exactly is their purpose...i am not able to guess (when you can get same ISOs from their official sites anyways)

Isos yeah. I store around 300gb of OS images and isos. However i store around 50TB of movies and tv shows for my plex.

• @chimichurri said:
    RaveX, how much data do you have exactly? There are quite a few services available with "unlimited" storage, like JottaCloud (where the limit seems to be at least 15TB, with lower speeds if over 5TB, although do note that they are known to delete accounts with Linux ISOs, so you'd have to keep everything in encrypted containers, in case this is your use case)

Counting 60TB soon. More added every day.

• edited December 2020

@seenu said:
    lately i am not getting why people are storing so many linux ISOs in google and other backup sites.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Linux ISO (I too learned this term on this forum the other day :P)

@RaveX said:
    Counting 60TB soon. More added every day.

Wow....! That's definitely too much for Jotta, maybe just upgrade your GDrive to a business account? I seriously doubt you'd be able to get this much storage for the same price elsewhere (provided the following info from reddit is legit - haven't tried it myself)

Upgrade to Enterprise Standard in your admin console. 1 user for unlimited and not the loophole system anymore. $20 usd per month.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/jfsdgp/google_drive_alternative_for_mass_storage/g9mybly/

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @chimichurri said: Wow....! That's definitely too much for Jotta, maybe just upgrade your GDrive to a business account?

I already have a gsuite business account. But it is still limited to 1TB (not enforced by google, yet) / user, and i dont wanna pay for 5 users. You need to create 5 users to get unlimited.

I pay 10.40euro / month now. If i have to upgrade to 5 users, that would be 52 euro / month. What im hoping, is that there are more people like me out there who needs those accounts. So i can "forward" unlimited gdrive accounts for 10.40 / month.

This way, everyone wins by keeping unlimited for 10.40. :)

• edited December 2020

Oh... sorry, guess that Reddit comment was misleading after all. -_-'

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your scenario, you'd be the admin for all people involved? (as in, even though the accounts would theoretically be separate, you'd be holding a master account of sorts)? If my understanding is correct, then sorry, but personally, I wouldn't do this with anyone apart from close friends I know IRL... ><'

TBH, as Wolveix mentioned above, even for your 60 terabytes, 52 euros per month for redundant rclone accessible storage is a steal either way. The next cheapest options that I'm aware of is either getting multiple JottaCloud accounts or using 1fichier... but the former would mean you'd have to encrypt all your series/movies, and the latter is probably not as reliable + it's definitely not as user friendly as GDrive. (Also, since your data is growing, you'd be paying more soon - their rates are about 1 euro / 1 TB / month))

In case you do find another solution, please share it with us, as I'm curious too ;)

EDIT: My last suggestion would be to try browsing through this sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/ - it seems to be focused on home NAS at first glance, but every now and then people do start threads on GDrive, Jotta and others

• @chimichurri said: By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your scenario, you'd be the admin for all people involved?

That is correct. I would have the power to reset your password, delete the account and a few other things, but to my knowledge, i cannot see any files without forcing a change of your password.

It is not ideal, i agree to that. 52 euro / month for unlimited is still a steal, but it is still 5x what i am paying right now. 5TB hdds can be bought locally here for around $100, and im considering a fileserver at home instead. But it feels alot more safe to let google handle redundancy and all that stuff. Also a decent fileserver will give me a high up front cost, who i simply cannot afford at the moment.

Looking for solutions, happy to take any tips.

• @chimichurri said: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Linux ISO (I too learned this term on this forum the other day :P)

Hahahaha

• It was more to the forum in general, i quoted your text to make sure people got the context. But if you want to spend 10.40 instead of over 50 euros / month on storage, you are more than welcome ofcourse.

I already have @ChrisMiller and @Mason on mine :P Thanks though.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @RaveX said: It is not ideal, i agree to that. 52 euro / month for unlimited is still a steal, but it is still 5x what i am paying right now.

While I agree that paying 10 is better than 52, you have to keep in mind that Google might enforce those limits in the near future, as they've shown to be trying to reduce the amount of unlimited users in their storage servers overall. If I were you, I'd be saving a little bit of money monthly so when the time inevitably comes, you are able to afford to keep your files with Google.

• edited December 2020

What is the issue? Did anybody read the email?

They just want to close inactive accounts and telling everyone that has previously used these services, "use it at least once every two years to keep it active or we'll think you've abandoned it and delete your shit".

They've got tons and tons of inactive accounts they can delete to make space available again. It's good for Google and current users and only affects the people who don't use it.

Thanked by (1)Shazan
  • @RaveX said:

@seenu said:

Isos yeah. I store around 300gb of OS images and isos. However i store around 50TB of movies and tv shows for my plex.

50TB ? Wow. Care to share ?

• @deepak_leb said:

@RaveX said:

@seenu said:

50TB ? Wow. Care to share ?

Alot of 4k content. What do you not understand?

• @Iroshan464 said:
    Total google storage you get as a free user is 15GB.

You can also get 100GB for 2 years if you buy a Chromebook, usually. If you were already planning on buying one.

• @RaveX said:

Everyone except the millions of other Google users and Google itself that now have to enforce these kind of limits thanks to users like you.

• @rcy026 said:

@RaveX said:

Everyone except the millions of other Google users and Google itself that now have to enforce these kind of limits thanks to users like you.

Easy there cowboy, im far from the worst.

Thanked by (1)Wolveix

• fun fact: i also received this mail from google, but it went to gmails spam folder... =)

Thanked by (1)elliotc