HostMantis to update pricing by January 1st 2021 for new invoices

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited December 2020 in General

New pricing is said to respond to cPanels latest pricing increase announcement and their further business plans.
If you have a reseller plan with them, cPanel Reseller Entry starts at 9,95$/mo now, DA is a bit cheaper.

New pricing

cPanel Hosting PlansPlans

Shared HostingHosting

Entry $3.95/month

Advanced $12.95/month

Expert $19.95/month

Reseller Hosting

Entry $9.95/month

Advanced $29.95/month

Expert $54.95/month

Enterprise Hosting

Entry $16.95/month

Advanced $33.95/month

Expert $53.95/month

DirectAdmin Hosting Plans

Shared Hosting

Entry $1.95/month

Advanced $4.95/month

Expert $9.95/month

Reseller Hosting

Entry $5.95/month

Advanced $18.95/month

Expert $32.95/month

Enterprise Hosting

Entry $9.95/month

Advanced $23.95/month

Expert $34.95/month

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Comments

• That's fair, I am not bothered paying them a couple of extra bucks for it.

This is what is going to happen though, different if they were charging $20 each month for their cheapest one then they could and probably would absorb the price increase. I would rather they increased a little and kept offering great service as they always have for me.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

The announcement:
    https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/143/Pricing-Changes-for-2021.html

Was expecting it - could have made the announcement sooner (since the cPanel 2nd price hike announcement).

Will see in a years time how much exactly will renewal cost, then make a decision. I would say that current prices are reasonable, taking the costs into account.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:
    The announcement:
    https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/143/Pricing-Changes-for-2021.html

Was expecting it - could have made the announcement sooner (since the cPanel 2nd price hike announcement).

Will see in a years time how much exactly will renewal cost, then make a decision. I would say that current prices are reasonable, taking the costs into account.

Also waiting for the renewal. Contacted support how much my plan will renew at :)

• DA entry plan going from $3.95 to $5.95 so nothing to do with cPanel increasing price. Starter plan is being retired and they will move you to the next package.

edited December 2020

@LeonDynamic said:
    DA entry plan going from $3.95 to $5.95 so nothing to do with cPanel increasing price. Starter plan is being retired and they will move you to the next package.

Sorry. Probably phrased that wrong but I meant yet another cPanel price increase made them re-evaluate their pricing overall (cpanel+da) as per the announcement.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • I suspect they have taken an overall view and decided to up their DA pricing now rather than wait a while when some may well switch to DA from cPanel due to the price increase. Switching then getting hit by a DA increase a few months from now would not go down well.

So at least they have done it all in one that way people know where they stand in terms of all their options.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

My renewal pricing for 3 years cPanel still shows US Dollars 50. Due for renewal Jun 2022.

I concur with @Lee as long as service is good, a few extra should not be a problem. I can even switch to DA...

On a lighter note my hosting with them is in Singapore. Might move to Nexusbytes if the hit is too high in spite of moving to DA. @seriesn you can breathe easy for 18 months.

On related note
    @smallweb is your Singapore location on HM or direct with OVZ? If it is the former,then is it a big hit for you?

Thanked by (2)seriesn Ympker
  • K4Y5K4Y5 OG
    edited December 2020

OK, so it looks like my Reseller Starter plan will go from $8.95 to $9.95/mo?

Yes! All current promotional codes are unaffected/unchanged by this update.

With the existing 50% discount on my plan, it would translate to a price increase of $0.50 that I will not mind paying, as long as it helps them continue providing the same kind of stable and reliable service.

Oh fuck that! Looks like they will retire "Starter" plans and upgrade me to "Advanced" that I do not need, which is going to cost 3x what I am currently paying. I am out of there!

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited December 2020

@vyas said: @smallweb is your Singapore location on HM or direct with OVZ? If it is the former,then is it a big hit for you?

Not a big hit, but enough to warrant moving to a VPS at that point. Only trouble is LiteSpeed.

Price increases are fair, but cPanel scape-goating for non-cPanel products is meh. I agree with Lee.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @SmallWeb said:

@vyas said: @smallweb is your Singapore location on HM or direct with OVZ? If it is the former,then is it a big hit for you?

Not a big hit, but enough to warrant moving to a VPS at that point. Only trouble is LiteSpeed.

Price increases are fair, but cPanel scape-goating for non-cPanel products is meh. I agree with Lee.

Yeah, that'd suck. But as far as Litespeed is concerned, you can just get openlitespeed set-up on DA.
    Also, tagging @seriesn for refugee offers on the internal DA licenses :grin:

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

Hope @seriesn will come up with a 3GB ram (shared) plan which is the plus point of HM's reseller.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

edited December 2020

Know those hunting/working dog breeds that sometimes have their tails cut off? There's a black humour joke about a man cutting his dog's tail it two smaller increments - so it doesn't hurt as much. Well - this HostMantis pricing looks a bit like it.
    Both in terms of marketing, and customer sentiment.

Their first price hike, in 2019, was relatively small. With little margin for further price hikes of any resources. In hindsight it is easy to see that wasn't enough. However - at the time, increasing prices more drastically would probably have been also very harsh. Being a pessimist - as soon as I saw the 2021 cPanel price announcement, I was expecting another HostMantis price hike. So wasn't too surprised when I got the email. :)

I personally can't really blame them. The way most industries are going is towards hitting the smaller ones, especially those offering high quality at a relatively low price. Forcing them to either loose that competitive advantage (by increasing prices), or sell out to a larger corporation. As fewer and fewer larger players keep buying stuff - I would expect to be paying more and more - for most things (whether it's CPUs, hosting, or bicycle parts).

Again - looking at the announcement, they seem to have done what they could to stay afloat, while making stuff as little worse as possible for the customers: in this case a promise of increasing storage space per account (will see if they honor this). And yes, for me at least, the bottleneck is the number of cPanel accounts, not the storage space - but don't suppose they had the room to increase that (not for cPanel reseller accounts).

Looking at their plans - reseller Entry had 10 cPanel accounts, while Starter had 30. Now it's 25 for the Entry, and no Starter, so I could "degrade" to that - don't need too much storage space. Moving somewhere else? Well - with cPanel, I don't see how going any lower on the pricing can be profitable for the provider - would expect something to suffer (performance, support, security...). Think it boils down to paying more for cPanel, or bothering with DirectAdmin migration - until they hike the prices (or some other stuff goes up - LiteSpeed, CloudLinux...).

I'll also see if HostMantis stay afloat - suppose most normal people will get pissed after two price hikes (and now a discontinued plan!) - especially those who paid for "lifetime promotion/discount". If I had to guess - I'd say HostMantis run a scalable operation, capable of downsizing (fewer customers = fewer tech. support people, which should be a big saving if they're/were? paid at least remotely decently). If I had to vote - I'd vote for price hikes, instead of deadpooling. Looking at the positive side: they did what they could to keep the prices as low as possible, for as long as possible. Think that can't be argued (though Internet forums usually prove such opinions to be wrong :) ).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• Unless I read it wrong my window price is moving from $5.95 to $9.95 on the Entry reseller plan. Nothing to be bothered about. I believe I have a 25% discount on that which will still continue.

One of the things I really like about their cPanel reseller is that they give the reseller access to JetBackup in WHM, which means you can set up your own destination and backup schedule. I have a daily backup set up to S3. So anything goes wrong I can recover those sites quickly elsewhere if needed. Not everyone lets you do that.

So for overall value and service, I will stick with them.

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin

@Lee said:
    Unless I read it wrong my window price is moving from $5.95 to $9.95 on the Entry reseller plan. Nothing to be bothered about. I believe I have a 25% discount on that which will still continue.

One of the things I really like about their cPanel reseller is that they give the reseller access to JetBackup in WHM, which means you can set up your own destination and backup schedule. I have a daily backup set up to S3. So anything goes wrong I can recover those sites quickly elsewhere if needed. Not everyone lets you do that.

So for overall value and service, I will stick with them.

JetBackup access and the possibility to schedule own remote backups is awesome, indeed. Maybe @MikePT will add this soon, too :)

Thanked by (2)Lee tridinebandim

@Lee said: So for overall value and service, I will stick with them.

Oh yeah. If you put the new price and specs on paper I don't see why you'd be unhappy. They do provide a quality service and as you mention added value like JetBackup.. MailChannels and probably a lot more.

For me, couple extra dollars and I think a VPS is a better shout price wise but also I'll be able to finally use my DNS cluster for ALL services.

• @SmallWeb said: couple extra dollars and I think a VPS is a better

I was thinking about that too. The problems is, I have more than 10 website that has daily load average 10-20% each. How can a ~$10 VPS handle that?

• When you have websites that just need to work, the simplicity of email, SSL, backups and so on you don't jump to a VPS for a couple more dollars. In my view anyway. The time value alone would cost you that couple of dollars x 12.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin skorous

@Lee said:
    When you have websites that just need to work, the simplicity of email, SSL, backups and so on you don't jump to a VPS for a couple more dollars. In my view anyway. The time value alone would cost you that couple of dollars x 12.

@Coffee - This is pretty true. I'll be moving because it's a public shared hosting offering, rather than for my own websites.

• edited December 2020

@SmallWeb said: If you put the new price and specs on paper I don't see why you'd be unhappy

HM: BF Deal -25% recurring.
    Me: Great ill grab 2x starter reseller plans.
    --- 1 week later.. after BF ends and good deals are gone. ---
    HM: we are increasing our prices up to double
    also HM: oh, and we will retire the starter plan, you need to pick another one, go for advanced.
    Me: :anguished:

you wouldn't be unhappy ?

edit: I'm not ranting.
    edit 2: shit, looks like I did.

edited December 2020

@mezoology said:

@SmallWeb said: If you put the new price and specs on paper I don't see why you'd be unhappy

also HM: oh, and we will retire the starter plan, you need to pick another one, go for advanced.

That's... brilliant! :)

Just brilliant... marketing, public relations, customer trust and all.

Sorry man, I really understand (being a customer as well, also with a Starter plan) - but I just have to LOL to this. What else can we do, if we can't laugh? :lol:

If new prices of renewal can be calculated against the existing number of customers when selling a business, suppose now is the time to sell. :)

• @bikegremlin said: Sorry man, I really understand (being a customer as well, also with a Starter plan) - but I just have to LOL to this. What else can we do, if we can't laugh?

believe it or not, I too laughed my ass out when I received them email.
    glad you had a good laugh tho.

• deankdeank OG
    edited December 2020

Is that John Terry?

Well, if you are always chasing deals, you will end up disappointed sooner or later.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Anybody knows about their performance in their london and us-east locations? I remember ovh had terrible routing to both places, is it still so?

@mezoology said:

you wouldn't be unhappy ?

edit: I'm not ranting.
    edit 2: shit, looks like I did.

I mean as a new customer my friend.

• edited December 2020

@webcraft said:
    Anybody knows about their performance in their london and us-east locations? I remember ovh had terrible routing to both places, is it still so?

Ahh wait, it's routed via sgb, gra or rbx in either case? the ovh map shows direct routes but real path is through these?

• @Intelpentium0 said:
    Hope @seriesn will come up with a 3GB ram (shared) plan which is the plus point of HM's reseller.

Kinda hard to keep balanced resource ratio (Shared vs reseller, etc.) :(

@deank said:
    Is that John Terry?

Well, if you are always chasing deals, you will end up disappointed sooner or later.

John indeed. :)
    As far as I'm concerned, being a pessimist, I more often get pleasantly surprised.

@webcraft said:
    Anybody knows about their performance in their london and us-east locations? I remember ovh had terrible routing to both places, is it still so?

Using eastern US and London locations - they are both OK (so far).

Thanked by (1)webcraft

• edited December 2020

I am 1.5 years into a 2018 BF friday deal (edit: bad memory, May 2019) which I paid upfront for 2 years in 4 locations, renewing in June.

The deal was an 80% /// recurring /// deal. I hope that they will honour this discount when it comes to renewal.

I also added credit when they were running the 50% credit bonus. A bit of a kick in the balls now that they are increasing the pricing. A bigger kick in the balls if they do not honour the recurring discounts.

Gullo did this to me, would not honour recurring discount and put the price up. Needless to say, I did not renew.

@Adam1 said:
    I am 1.5 years into a 2018 BF friday deal which I paid upfront for 2 years in 4 locations, renewing in June.

The BF deal was an 80% /// recurring /// deal. I hope that they will honour this discount when it comes to renewal.

I also added credit when they were running the 50% credit bonus. A bit of a kick in the balls now that they are increasing the pricing. A bigger kick in the balls if they do not honour the recurring discounts.

Gullo did this to me, would not honour recurring discount and put the price up. Needless to say, I did not renew.

For all I know - no discount is honored over 50%. Think that's most you can expect. But do check with them.

• edited December 2020

@bikegremlin said: For all I know - no discount is honored over 50%. Think that's most you can expect. But do check with them.

Well, for sure I will check, of course. If the resulting price is too much then I can simply leave.

A shame though, as the uptime has been pretty decent overall. But with a saturated market, it's not very hard to find something comparible.