VirMach

Comments

• Never used them because they are CC clients. Same applies to every other host which is a CC client.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• I played nice and disabled it and asked for permission. I'm getting old in my old age.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Now I have two to sell. :-/

Thanked by (1)uptime

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

this might be a good time to point out that VirMach uses ColoCrossing for almost all of their locations ... (just in case anybody might have missed that important detail).

While I'm inclined to believe that they are not a summerhost or typical CC scam/front company, it may be fair to assume that they do have a significant relationship with CC - and I understand that many people here would like to draw a hard line to make a clean break from the ugly BS coming out of CC for however many years - that being one of the things that lead to this very forum rising up from the ethical hellscape of the old one ...

So I do respect and welcome the comments such as for instance the most recent one from @vpsgeek above. I'm not going to pretend to know so much about the bigger picture, and am just sort of following my gut here (maybe not unlike someone setting up a McDonalds at a vegan cooking teach-in) ... I guess I'd be most interested to read more informed comments to get better insights with regard to VirMach's business practices and whatever philosophical perspective on the ethics of doing business with them, if there is any more nuanced analysis that might emerge. Or not. I'm okay with the commentary, just would prefer that it doesn't get too hyperbolic or repetitive. But Informative or insightful or even cathartically hilarious digs are all good in my book, so please do feel free to chime in if that's what's on your mind.

Anyhoo ... I've been camping on their flash sale page via @FAT32's excellent https://virmach19.fat32.top site. And finally bit on a $48.60 per year deal in Seattle (which I understand may not actually be with CC? Bonus! But still no IPv6.)

I think this was one of their better flash sale deals this year - for my needs at least.

$48.60 got me 10 GB ram / 4 vcores / 30 GB ssd - and SolusVM control panel which made for an easy install of Debian 9 via ISO - no glitches in that process.

The ssd has so far been fairly consistent for sequential write speed in a range between 120 MB/s and 160 MB/s (I am logging a 256 dd every 10 minutes over a 24 hour period to see if any downward trend as the node gets loaded up with new users)

CPU is generic QEMU clocked at 2.1 GHz with very few useful flags enabled.

geekbench 4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14992890

if I'm remembering correctly, I noticed up to 20% cpu steal when running the multi-core part of the bench. Will be interested to see if that is a persistent condition on this node.

I'm going to idle it for a few days, then start messing around with the system in earnest. Probably will let the dust settle for a couple weeks before checking in with a low-priority support ticket to inquire about enabling aes flag to facilitate full-disk encryption and ssh connections.

And that's where I'm at with it so far - about as expected, getting pretty much what I paid for: a (presumably) stable system with a lot of RAM and generally adequate low-load disk and CPU in a west coast USA location for less than $50 per year.

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@uhu said:

@uhu said:
    So the next question is, can I use HE.net or tunnelbroker to automagic a proper IPv6 address for my CC Virmach?

Replying to myself. Yes, easily, and the speed is pretty decent (so far).

How about the other way around? Ipv6 to ipv4

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@uptime said:
    The ssd has so far been fairly consistent for sequential write speed in a range between 120 MB/s and 160 MB/s (I am logging a 256 dd every 10 minutes over a 24 hour period to see if any downward trend as the node gets loaded up with new users)

Just so you know, you'll eventually get asked to stop it, or get turned off. That still impacts others, and once the smoke clears, smackdowns for overuse will be noticed on a per-VM basis. Since there's no non-realtime way to monitor your use, I'd figure you were probably torrenting, or lying about running benchmarks every 10 minutes (who the fuck does that?) and bitch you out for it.

That said, I do not represent Virmach.

Thanked by (1)uptime

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@uptime said:
    this might be a good time to point out that VirMach uses ColoCrossing for almost all of their locations ... (just in case anybody might have missed that important detail).

While I'm inclined to believe that they are not a summerhost or typical CC scam/front company, it may be fair to assume that they do have a significant relationship with CC - and I understand that many people here would like to draw a hard line to make a clean break from the ugly BS coming out of CC for however many years - that being one of the things that lead to this very forum rising up from the ethical hellscape of the old one ...

So I do respect and welcome the comments such as for instance the most recent one from @vpsgeek above. I'm not going to pretend to know so much about the bigger picture, and am just sort of following my gut here (maybe not unlike someone setting up a McDonalds at a vegan cooking teach-in) ... I guess I'd be most interested to read more informed comments to get better insights with regard to VirMach's business practices and whatever philosophical perspective on the ethics of doing business with them, if there is any more nuanced analysis that might emerge. Or not. I'm okay with the commentary, just would prefer that it doesn't get too hyperbolic or repetitive. But Informative or insightful or even cathartically hilarious digs are all good in my book, so please do feel free to chime in if that's what's on your mind.

Anyhoo ... I've been camping on their flash sale page via @FAT32's excellent https://virmach19.fat32.top site. And finally bit on a $48.60 per year deal in Seattle (which I understand may not actually be with CC? Bonus! But still no IPv6.)

I think this was one of their better flash sale deals this year - for my needs at least.

$48.60 got me 10 GB ram / 4 vcores / 30 GB ssd - and SolusVM control panel which made for an easy install of Debian 9 via ISO - no glitches in that process.

CPU is generic QEMU clocked at 2.1 GHz with very few useful flags enabled.

geekbench 4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14992890

if I'm remembering correctly, I noticed up to 20% cpu steal when running the multi-core part of the bench. Will be interested to see if that is a persistent condition on this node.

I'm going to idle it for a few days, then start messing around with the system in earnest. Probably will let the dust settle for a couple weeks before checking in with a low-priority support ticket to inquire about enabling aes flag to facilitate full-disk encryption and ssh connections.

And that's where I'm at with it so far - about as expected, getting pretty much what I paid for: a (presumably) stable system with a lot of RAM and generally adequate low-load disk and CPU in a west coast USA location for less than $50 per year.

I think they don't allocate full threads but who knows

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@WSS said:

@uptime said:

Just so you know, you'll eventually get asked to stop it, or get turned off. That still impacts others, and once the smoke clears, smackdowns for overuse will be noticed on a per-VM basis. Since there's no non-realtime way to monitor your use, I'd figure you were probably torrenting, or lying about running benchmarks every 10 minutes (who the fuck does that?) and bitch you out for it.

That said, I do not represent Virmach.

hmmm ... well, alrighty then - thanks for that perspective (I do appreciate it!)

While I have yet to get any complaints from any of the dozen or so providers I may or may not have impacted with this extended intermittent disk test - I will be mindful to check in with support before doing these tests in the future. And - thinking about it some more now - it may make good sense to scale back the size of most of the disk writes to less than 256 MB for the intermittent samples, and maybe also add just a couple larger writes (something like 1 or 2 GB) to see if the filesystem / disk caching is a significant factor.

I do have some vague awareness of the intricacies of benchmarking disk performance - this is certainly one of the simplest (and possibly lamest) things I know how to do to get a rough indication to compare on the different systems I'm evaluating.

For what it's worth - my reasoning for considering this as a relatively gentle benchmark is roughly as follows: cumulative activity is about 1.5 GB per hour - generally taking much less than 3 seconds out of every 600, so under 0.5% utilization - if time spent is any reasonable measure (which it admittedly may not be) ... for a total of 36 GB written in a 24 hour period. Which in this case is a bit more than the 30 GB SSD size .... but a small fraction of the 7 TB bandwich allocation for the month. Not that I want to conflate disk i/o with network activity, just taking into account the relative scale of the activity.

I guess I'd be more concerned if I were doing the disk write tests 24/7 rather than a few times a year. But you're right - it may be pushing acceptable limits. Anyway, some good food for thought and motivation for a less intensive approach going forward - thank you for sharing that insight.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@uptime said:
    I guess I'd be more concerned if I were doing the disk write tests 24/7 rather than a few times a year. But you're right - it may be pushing acceptable limits. Anyway, some good food for thought and motivation for a less intensive approach going forward - thank you for sharing that insight.

As well you should. Just keep in mind that they're one of the cheapest options, and I have no idea how they make money.. but before they refined their monitors, I got a nastygram for doing an OS install reformat. It's nowhere near that level now, but common hard writes with implicit flushing several times an hour do affect other users.

Thanked by (1)uptime

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

indeed and indubitably - I realize now these day-long assays have been sloppy and gratuitous.

I guess a rule of thumb to estimate impact on the node is simply to consider the possibility of 100 (or more) other users doing the exact same thing.

As an amateur expert in the Dunder-Mifflin effect ... I find myself now beset with much doubt, and rendered (temporarily) insensate.

And I thank you for that. :smiley:

Thanked by (3)WSS skorous angstrom

• Lol, it's wednesday and cyber monday flash sale is still going on. I've had a few of these (thanks WSS) and they have been solid, though cpu speed hasn't been the best. I'm down to just one now, running a lightweight service, so performance isn't an issue and reliability has been great.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • RahulRahul OG
    edited December 2019

willie said: cyber monday flash sale is still going on.

Maybe the bot revolted and echoed

Bitch I run this show !

edited December 2019

I think they didn't sell enough. Think most of them should be 2660s

Thanked by (2)uptime vyas

• @cybertech said:

@uhu said:

@uhu said:
    So the next question is, can I use HE.net or tunnelbroker to automagic a proper IPv6 address for my CC Virmach?

Replying to myself. Yes, easily, and the speed is pretty decent (so far).

How about the other way around? Ipv6 to ipv4

You mean creating an IPv4 address on IPv6 only VPS? No idea. Probably not.

• I wonder if virmach is impound yard of all those deadpooled CC summerhosts' server gear?

Thanked by (3)uptime willie cybertech
  • boooriiing!!

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Hi!

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

If anyone's looking for some fresh hell of the San José flash deal persuasion ... https://virmach19.fat32.top would be a real good place to be right about now :)

Thanked by (2)FAT32 vyas

• Crap, I could have used some of that. There's some more up now but the current one isn't what I want. Will keep watching. Should set up some way to monitor the bot and alert on istuff of interest.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@willie lol the party is just getting started ... the billing server has apparently caught fire a few times,. captchas and 502s are flowing like cheap wine down the drain on the way to some putrid sewer to slake the thirst of 10,000 PRC zombie bots pitching a fit ....

To mix metaphors a bit more, imagine a fireworks display fueled mainly by low-grade potassium and amyl nitrate, punctuated by occasional bursts of high explosive.

tl;dr - the finale is when it gets interesting - but it can be a wallet-draining guessing game until the porky pig gif appears if you stumble into the action without a full appreciation of that FOMO dynamic

anyhoo - what specs are you looking for? I'll try to keep an eye out for something suitable while I'm dodging the buffaloe stampede

Thanked by (2)Mason willie

• It's a 502 and captcha hell right now

Thanked by (2)uptime vyas

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

battle of the bots

Thanked by (2)Abdullah AlSwearengen

• @WSS said:
    Most don't. It's annoying for admins to deal with, and makes work a little more difficult if they're not already setup to handle this.

That said, I ran n+1 (where N=last) as a backup using HE+VirMach for a couple years in the event of everything dying outside of Buffalo.

Worked great. Just a bit slow for UDP and a shitty way to add IPv6 to the box.

Sounds like they are happy for me to do it. Sweepstake on when they complain?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@uhu said:

Just tell them so they know to set it so you don't kill the hypervisor with spurious logfiles. This really isn't that hard to do, and you'll get hated less when it's tracked back to your VPS.

• @WSS said:

@uhu said:

Just tell them so they know to set it so you don't kill the hypervisor with spurious logfiles. This really isn't that hard to do, and you'll get hated less when it's tracked back to your VPS.

They replied in a ticket, so that'll do me.

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2019

Grrr... guess where I spent 6 dollars. Oh well, that's three beers worth of money .

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@vyas - well okay, $6 is $6 ... that's generally how it starts.

but whatever you do, just be glad you at least will never, ever, ever find yourself spending another 66 hours chasing down some demented egg-laying easter bunny running wild in a buried thread on the old forum ...

Thanked by (1)FAT32

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited December 2019

Okay, so now I've got a VM in Piscataway. Going to find out what to do with it.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @uptime said:
    @vyas - well okay, $6 is $6 ... that's generally how it starts.

but whatever you do, just be glad you at least will never, ever, ever find yourself spending another 66 hours chasing down some demented egg-laying easter bunny running wild in a buried thread on the old forum ...

lol The Sunny Side Up Two Egg Omelette was too much for me.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @debaser said:

Okay, so now I've got a VM in Piscataway. Going to find out what to do with it.

Same here, obviously you have to idle it.