VirMach

13»

Comments

• @exiust said:

@debaser said:

Okay, so now I've got a VM in Piscataway. Going to find out what to do with it.

Same here, obviously you have to idle it.

I mean for that amount of money there's really only one option.

• @vyas said:
    Grrr... guess where I spent 6 dollars. Oh well, that's three beers worth of money .

That money buys you only one beer here.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• I am a 5yo kid. Can you translate the unit into cola? No pepsi please.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Action and Reaction in history

• @elliotc said:
    I am a 5yo kid. Can you translate the unit into cola? No pepsi please.

Where I live that’s 2,27 Coca Colas in a bar or about 5 cans in the supermarket.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

and the madness continues, some @FAT32 eggs dropped ("sometimes you gotta make a mental omelette if you want to crack a few eggs") ...

so, long story short, I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing now - but hoping to see that porky pig gif pop up soon, ...before I get pulled back into any more of that dubious Buffaloe action again.

I'll just leave this here ...

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the flash sales tonight. My piss jugs are overflowing already and I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is the order site throwing a 502? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want VirMach to be president of Deluxe and fix this fucked up ColoCrossing fiasco. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought we were setting up IPv6 in Europe???? This is so fucked.

Thanked by (1)FAT32

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• It's funny, I've just recently cancelled my server with Virmach, because their reliability was worse than with other providers I'm running VPSes with.
    The usual practice is you get an email saying "hey, the node is gonna reboot, be ready". Not only they didn't send the warning, VPS didn't autostart after node reboot. Twice.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @comi - thanks for that info (it's a bit different from my own experience so I appreciate knowing more)

can you share which location and what service had the unannounced reboots?

• @uptime Frankfurt, KVM

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @comi said:
    @uptime Frankfurt, KVM

My frankfurt BF 2018 never had any reboot since last year...

Thanked by (1)uptime

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @uptime @chocolateshirt
    I must say, I assume the node was rebooted.
    The facts:

• I found my VPS turned off twice.
    • I created a ticket asking whether I had been breaking TOS and they said It hadn't been the case.
    • They stated they don't have autostart, although exact wording is wonky, here is a quote:
      "Me: All right, I'll reinstall. Could you confirm it is supposed to auto start if underlying hypervisor, say, reboots?
      Support: Thank you for your patience. There is no such VM auto reboot system due to the hypervisor issue."

• I got this VPS in BF2017 and it was not a recurring deal (I paid discounted price for the first year and full price for the second) which is of course a factor here.

• I did not run any load on the server and the most experimental application was Docker (in 2017) which makes it extremely unlikely to had crashed on it's own.

Your VPS could be on a different node, but no reboots is strange anyway - do they not patch cpu vulns?

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@comi - thanks for those details! I'm guessing their (relatively newer) setup in Frankfurt may be somewhat of a departure from their established infrastructure in the USA ... for better or for worse. (I say that because most of their USA locations are currently with a datacenter provider of ill repute - but their EU expansion is not)

My own experience is only with a few of their USA locations (New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Seattle)

Since I use full-disk encryption (which is setup in a way that requires me to enter a passphrase to complete the boot process) - I'm acutely aware of when a VPS instance gets rebooted, automatically or otherwise.

As for rebooting to do kernel updates - that's an excellent question. At the moment I don't exactly recall the complete inventory of any "scheduled maintenance reboot" announcements, but when I get a chance I can go through my email to see if any clues there.

Note that it is sometimes possible to keep a kernel patched without shutting down the node (ie, see https://www.kernelcare.com/) but I don't know whether that's something they use.