The Buyer's Remorse thread

Comments

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@AlwaysSkint - in Atlanta, or Chicago ...?

:smiley:

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• I was curious how many machines does Virmach deploy/own? From virmach.app or virma.ch, sort of deal monitors, the entry has already upsoared to over 1,000. If in one batch Virmach released five or even ten, say on average, then it should have deployed or purchased over five thousand IPs, not to mention the existing customers/machines.

A great expense/cost.

• @aRNoLD said:
    I was curious how many machines does Virmach deploy/own? From virmach.app or virma.ch, sort of deal monitors, the entry has already upsoared to over 1,000. If in one batch Virmach released five or even ten, say on average, then it should have deployed or purchased over five thousand IPs, not to mention the existing customers/machines.

A great expense/cost.

It's been speculated before that if VirMach went under, they would drag CC with them

Thanked by (3)poisson vimalware samJ

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• uptime said: in Atlanta, or Chicago ...?

Atlanta

Thanked by (1)uptime

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @cybertech said:
    Virmach. Regret because CC.

Gets me every year :(

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Anyone wanna buy a $16.28 USD Annually Virmach VPS? :-o

A buyer's remorse for sale to make up for someone's Black Friday slow finger remorse.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint vyas

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• I think I might wait until CM next year instead of splooging both farthings on a Virmach IPv4-only box only to find better deals elsewhere.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:

uptime said: in Atlanta, or Chicago ...?

Atlanta

Alrighty then - feel free to bring it over to the VirMach review thread (assuming this sort of transaction won't upset the delicate equilibrium of civilized behavior on this forum too much ...)

Might want to add the $3 fee VirMach charges to handle the transfer ... and maybe also paypal fees - so now you're up to about $20 to break even on the deal.

... which I suppose is still a decent price for 1 GB ram / 1 vcore / 20 GB SSD / 1 TB transfer. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU is clocked at 2.1 GHz and the SSD is - at the moment - seeing sequential write speed maybe not much more than 100 MB/s ...?)

Fair enough - if you was looking for headies, and beasters just won't do ... Still, one man's trash is another man's regs. :smiley:

Seems like a decent chance someone might be interested to take it off your hands, sooner or later. (Then you can enjoy seller's remorse - which I'm guessing might be the better problem to have ... up to a point.)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• I regret that I bought mxroute $10/year plan...before I bought $10/2 year plan. Should have known KILLER deals will come up later and robtake more money from you.
    As for mikho's APAC NAT vpses, not yet.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • I have only bought a netcup „Black Pearl“ KVM and am very happy with the purchase. No regrets or hangover here.

Thanked by (3)uptime ITLabs angstrom

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

lgsin said: As for mikho's APAC NAT vpses, not yet.

Don't worry, you'll have a full year to reconsider :3 <3

Thanked by (1)lgsin

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @lgsin said: I regret that I bought mxroute $10/year plan...before I bought $10/2 year plan. Should have known KILLER deals will come up later and robtake more money from you.

The $10/2 year plan had limitations that the $10/year plan didn't have

Thanked by (2)uptime poisson

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:

@lgsin said: I regret that I bought mxroute $10/year plan...before I bought $10/2 year plan. Should have known KILLER deals will come up later and robtake more money from you.

Also $10/year plan is of better value.
    However, $10/2 year plan is more than enough for me. The price difference can be used to buy next LES location and I can claim a new territory.

@mikho pleeeease make Japan a LES location again

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

lgsin said: @mikho pleeeease make Japan a LES location again

Even if the price is nowhere near the other locations?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• mikho said:

lgsin said: @mikho pleeeease make Japan a LES location again

Even if the price is nowhere near the other locations?

Yes, even if price is different from other locations and/or bandwidth policy is different from other locations.
    I'd expect it to be much cheaper than amazon lightsail though. If the price is so high that nobody would be interested in, service shutdown(again) is just a matter of time.

• K4Y5K4Y5 OG
    edited December 2019

@aRNoLD said:
    I was curious how many machines does Virmach deploy/own? From virmach.app or virma.ch, sort of deal monitors, the entry has already upsoared to over 1,000. If in one batch Virmach released five or even ten, say on average, then it should have deployed or purchased over five thousand IPs, not to mention the existing customers/machines.

A great expense/cost.

I am quite certain the automated deals with custom configurations are a cost effective way to optimally reuse spare resources across nodes.

For instance, if an older node has seen a bunch of cancellations over the years, that will have likely freed up RAM, Storage space, CPU and IPs. Since non-sequential unused IPs from a slightly larger subnet are not usually routed to other Nodes, it'd be a smart thing to simply recycle them and provision spare resources by offering non-standard configurations as 'no-brainer' deals during BF/CM/XMAS in a manner that wouldn't negatively affect overall node stability and performance, while still being economically feasible.

You don't really think that Virmach would add a new node with 256GB of RAM but just toss in a couple of 240GB SSDs to create a handful of 'too good to pass' deals with 16GB RAM and 10GB storage each, do you? :P

//$0.02

• Last BF, my wallet was raped in the deepness of itself.
    This year, not really no.

I got 3x yearly VPS's, nothing big, about 30 bucks.
    If i would skipped sleep, to expect good deals, of course I would regret it.

This year, was full of shit.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@angstrom said:

@WSS said:
    Nope. Still enjoying my watch.

So no more VirMach deals from you in the new year? ;)

Probably not. I don't really have a use for them, and reselling at a loss to donate to charity takes a lot more effort than just giving the charity money outright. I <3 Virmach, but time is a lot shorter than it used to be.

Thanked by (2)angstrom poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• I am actually surprised I didn't buy more at the weekend, all I took was a box from @AnthonySmith, since I sold my hosting services all I have is that and a large DO box that I hastily moved a load of personal sites to and will need to find a more permanent home for.

I seen quite a few deals that were interesting but resisted. Often I found that buying from the majority of LE* providers around this time results in fairly shit performance so I tend to avoid most of them.

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited December 2019

@Lee said:
    I am actually surprised I didn't buy more at the weekend, all I took was a box from @AnthonySmith, since I sold my hosting services all I have is that and a large DO box that I hastily moved a load of personal sites to and will need to find a more permanent home for.

I seen quite a few deals that were interesting but resisted. Often I found that buying from the majority of LE* providers around this time results in fairly shit performance so I tend to avoid most of them.

A shitty dedi is almost always better than an oversold VPS when the provider doesn't manage it properly.

I wish I had jumped at that @Dedispec special, but I really don't care enough to do so because I don't really need tons of bandwidth anymore, and lack the care to actually do anything with it.

E: Ended up picking this beast up for work.

$29.84 /yr

VIRTUALIZATION KVM – 1 GIGABIT
    WINDOWS WINDOWS AVAILABLE
    RAM 6144MB RAM
    CPU 2 vCORE
    HDD 30GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 4500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

It replaces one with similar specs and cost about $70/yr. Now I have two of them.

Thanked by (2)Lee uptime

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• This black friday I only got 4nats and a ipv6 storage.
    9+8+12
    I renew deals from last blackfriday which is much better.

Action and Reaction in history

• @WSS said: E: Ended up picking this beast up for work.

Ah, okay, good to see that at least one VirMach VPS was adopted by you this year :)

Thanked by (1)WSS

• @angstrom said:

@lgsin said: I regret that I bought mxroute $10/year plan...before I bought $10/2 year plan. Should have known KILLER deals will come up later and robtake more money from you.

The limits were lifted on CM. The only limit now is the storage (the $10/yr still offer better price x specs).

• @Ouji said:

@angstrom said:

The limits were lifted on CM. The only limit now is the storage (the $10/yr still offer better price x specs).

Did I miss the link for this one? Care to share?

Thanked by (1)Ouji

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said:

@Ouji said:

@angstrom said:

Did I miss the link for this one? Care to share?

Do you mean the $10/yr?
    https://portal.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=96

$5/yr
    https://portal.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=99

Even for people that got the $5yr on BF (with the limits) had their limits lifted, according to the owner MXRoute.

• @Ouji said:

$5/yr

Even for people that got the $5yr on BF (with the limits) had their limits lifted, according to the owner MXRoute.

I meant the $ 5/ year deal. Thanks I recall reading on LET that someone wanted to transfer their $ 15 plan to $ 5 one. Thinking of doing something similar. Have eight or ten accounts that are happily idling on last year's BF offer which I of course signed up for a year.

Lesson learnt- do not type while having coffee. When Sipping overrides typing, messages get posted incomplete.

• @vyas said:

@Ouji said:

$5/yr

I meant the $ 5/ year deal. Thanks I recall reading on LET that someone wanted to transfer their $ 15 plan to $ 5 one. Thinking of doing something similar. Have eight or ten accounts that are happily idling on last year's BF offer which I of course signed up for a year.

Lesson learnt- do not type while having coffee. When Sipping overrides typing, messages get posted incomplete.

Just remember, this plan is 2GB. The $10 is 25GB.

Also, to transfer your stuff, you'd have to do it manually, as they stated they wouldn't do any type of transfer from existing services to these new ones.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • Indeed. Fortunately, all but one account only has the 'welcome' email that comes default. Might be painful to make changes for each account's DNS but that is one time.
    I think the $ 15 plan is 100 GB - way overkill unless I want to email large files to myself from one account to another :-)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Virmach 4cpu oh I have sinned

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14995624

Thanked by (2)uptime AlwaysSkint

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• poissonpoisson OG
    edited December 2019

@Lee said:

Yes. I had boxes that ran ok with providers that are massively popular during this period, and they are now stuttering with the influx.

Thanked by (2)uptime Lee

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow