CDN Options?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

People with CDN experience, who do you use, why, good bits, bad bits etc?

Looking to take LES off Cloudflare, need to plan options, I also need a CDN that supports using your own domain/subdomain.

Cheers.

Ant.

Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Comments

  • Isn't BunnyCDN receiving quite some love around here?
    Tested their service a while ago and really liked it, but never used it in production - so I can't speak about the scale of LES.

  • I use BunnyCDN. Great service and continually adding new features. Allows own domains/sub domains with LE certs or your own. My sites are setup to use Edge storage as well.

  • CF personally

    Some of the bigger boys seem to prefer fastly over cloudflare, but no personal experience

  • BunnyCDN is prem

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • edited January 3

    Highly recommend BunnyCDN.
    I publicly show cache rate, bandwidth, load times and uptimes for those interested: https://cyberhost.uk/about/

  • BunnyCDN

  • BunnyCDN! <3

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited January 3

    CDN for:
    Images
    Scripts
    Protecting from attacks
    Both content and protection?

  • CDN right?
    not like Cloudflare for protection?

    BunnyCDN is my only recommendation,
    been using it since last month for my website to serve about 20GB - 85GB bandwidth daily.
    using their Volume Pricing is cheap as hell.

    only had a problem once with routing to Indonesia. but it solved quickly. and never had any problem since

    RevivalTV - The best esports news in Indonesia | DT Server Status - My server uptime status

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

    Ok, I will give bunny 🐰 a shot then and compare performance metrics vs pure cloudflare.

    Thanked by (2)flips Asim

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • My go-tos are BunnyCDN and Amazon Cloudfront

  • Fastly works for me

  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Ok, I will give bunny 🐰 a shot then and compare performance metrics vs pure cloudflare.

    Let us know when it's active! ;)

  • nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

    Sucuri CDN is stupidly fast, and its waf is decent.

    I am studying English, please correct me if I write something wrong. | https://purplehost.com.br - Minecraft hosting and KVM VPS Servers.

  • @nullroute said:
    Sucuri CDN is stupidly fast, and its waf is decent.

    WAF usually means Wife Acceptance Factor in my head, but I guess it's Web Application Firewall here. :p

    Thanked by (1)Daniel
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    I heard lots of good things about BunnyCDN. Not using any CDN right now because most are a nightmare in terms of GDPR compliance.

  • @Ympker said:
    I heard lots of good things about BunnyCDN. Not using any CDN right now because most are a nightmare in terms of GDPR compliance.

    GDPR is a nightmare (and bullshit) IMO. :(

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Mostly harmless ™
    I/O Gremlin

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 4

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Ympker said:
    I heard lots of good things about BunnyCDN. Not using any CDN right now because most are a nightmare in terms of GDPR compliance.

    GDPR is a nightmare (and bullshit) IMO. :(

    As a Web Designer it certainly is all the more. The clients usually don't want to hire a lawyer to do a thorough privacy policy, nor pay for a premium generator and Germany is known to have an army of lawyers sending (even automated?) letters to sue ppl for missing phrases in their privacy policy (even just a few lines, or missing link to the EU Online Dispute Resolution; you are not required to participate in this Dispute Resolution offer but you HAVE to state it's there, you know?). This often leads to the client wanting me to use a free privacy policy generator and I know there are a lot good ones out there but seldom do they cover all used modules/plugins etc. which the premium generators do. Technically, in such case someone would assume the client's are to be held liable if they were sued after using a free generator, taking into account I told them to hire a lawyer or pay for a premium one outright, but then there are courts in Germany splitting the fines 50/50 regardless since the Web Designer is supposed to "know" about these laws. Ironically this even seems to have been applied when it was agreed that it was the client's liability to provide said legal text, or when it was the client that said "We will use a free generator". Germany has adjusted the rules for suing people for missing phrases and such in their website's legal texts now, but it still is very well possible. Add to that the new Cookie Opt-In requirement which takes away from User Experience since your page may load as fast as it wants and have a great design, the first thing the visitor sees is a BIG FAT Cookie Consent banner, on phone even on the whole screen mostly. A political party wants to purge the cookie-consent rule atm and I sincerely hope it will go through. It is also ironic how the privacy policies are getting longer and longer and even more details are required, but who even reads those? The visitors (most) surely won't. It was stated TikTok's Privacy Policy takes 45?! minutes to "read" and that only if you have a certain command of English. Ironically, you then can get sued by a competitor or random lawyer for failing to mention the usage of personal data XY in your privacy policy while they are not even really affected by this and those who are affected, the actual visitors, wouldn't even notice if a line was missing in the privacy policy since they don't read it.

    Sorry for the "rant" but, like, seriously?!

    Oh, and since Internet is still Neuland here, and there is no new Privacy Shield with the US, technically, I had to move from HostMantis with my main site for the sole reason of them being an US Business. Now, in the current situation one may move from HM for a number of reasons but ditching any performant host for the sole purpose of their country base is just...

    Ympker

  • I completely understand and sympathize with you. And it's been rather educational reading what it looks like "in the EU" (here they are just urging us to comply with those laws, since our government just translates EU laws with a 5-10 year lag).

    For now - this is my (and my favourite, of course :) ) privacy policy: :)

    https://blog.bikegremlin.com/privacy-policy/

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Mostly harmless ™
    I/O Gremlin

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 4

    @bikegremlin said:
    I completely understand and sympathize with you. And it's been rather educational reading what it looks like "in the EU" (here they are just urging us to comply with those laws, since our government just translates EU laws with a 5-10 year lag).

    For now - this is my (and my favourite, of course :) ) privacy policy: :)

    https://blog.bikegremlin.com/privacy-policy/

    If all privacy policies were like that, I might actually read them lol. So beautiful <3

    Enjoy it while you can!

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    I completely understand and sympathize with you. And it's been rather educational reading what it looks like "in the EU" (here they are just urging us to comply with those laws, since our government just translates EU laws with a 5-10 year lag).

    For now - this is my (and my favourite, of course :) ) privacy policy: :)

    https://blog.bikegremlin.com/privacy-policy/

    If all privacy policies were like that, I might actually read them lol. So beautiful <3

    Enjoy it while you can!

    "Membership privacy policy is just like our 'members': beautiful, and short!"

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Mostly harmless ™
    I/O Gremlin

  • I've heard only good things about BunnyCDN and I have some credit with them (which I can donate to LES if you do decide to switch to them), but why do you want to move away from CF? CF is doing some interesting things, like Workers. I've been wanting to code something for that. No really bright ideas though.

  • Enforcing the use of external image sources for forum images can save a huge amount of space in the long run.
    Storage may be cheap, but there's no amount of memory that human stupidity can't fill up, so I'm thinking like 10 years from now. With all them cat pictures...

    Mostly harmless ™
    I/O Gremlin

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    @bikegremlin said:

    With all them cat pictures...

    What if the cat likes to stay @ LES?

    .#Lowendcat

    ( http://talk.lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/rm/z0sxwttnglk1.png )

    Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    @AnthonySmith did you tweak somethings on CF side?
    Knock on wood... site loading is faster on my 4g network.
    (Slowed down a bit once I logged on )

    I am aware this is a very qualitative statement, but all factors remaining the same (device, location, Network, browser, vpn..) noticed a pleasant change

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider

    @vyas said:
    @AnthonySmith did you tweak somethings on CF side?
    Knock on wood... site loading is faster on my 4g network.
    (Slowed down a bit once I logged on )

    I am aware this is a very qualitative statement, but all factors remaining the same (device, location, Network, browser, vpn..) noticed a pleasant change

    I did not touch anything, I have just woke up :)

    Inception Hosting - 256MB OpenVZ VPS back in stock for €8.00 p/year - DEDICATED IP4 + /64 IPv6 https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=177
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Sign In or Register to comment.