Messaging Apps

What apps are you using for messaging? I'm currently using Telegram but thinking about Signal for better privacy. Of course I still have to send some SMS messages sometimes as well. The hardest part is getting the people you want to message with to switch apps :)

Thanked by (3)Asim MichaelCee Abdullah

Comments

• Whatsapp and Telegram.

Most of the people I know don't chat on Telegram though.

Thanked by (1)kkrajk
  • @imok said: Most of the people I know don't chat on Telegram though.

That's always the problem =P

Thanked by (2)imok Freek
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG
    edited January 2021

Whatsapp, sms, iMessage or MS Teams, skype, discord.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• edited January 2021

@imok said:
    Whatsapp and Telegram.

Are you concerned about Whatsapp new privacy policy?

Us here in the US don't understand how much Whatsapp is used in other parts of the world.

Here is a interesting read:
    https://www.wired.com/story/telegram-encryption-whatsapp-settings/

• _MS__MS_ OG
    edited January 2021

Slashdot is running a poll on this exact topic. Surprisingly, Signal is in a strong lead. I know the people voting there are tech-savvy but still, I was not expecting this trend.

I use SMS Organizer (replacement for the phone messaging app), Signal (IM of choice), and Telegram (idling). I successfully removed and lived without WhatsApp for a few months but then had to reinstall due to pandemic because most of the contacts are on WhatsApp.

• @mikho said:

How do you keep up with all that? =P

• @Aaron said:

@imok said:
    Whatsapp and Telegram.

Are you concerned about Whatsapp new privacy policy?

Actually I haven't read it. I have to accept it or I will stay isolated. I'm a Whatsapp and Instagram user, I left Facebook years ago. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

• A lot of people here in Hong Kong have moved over to Signal. It was certainly buggy for awhile, but seems ok now. Telegram much slicker, but the end to end encryption only enabled on private chats. I like that you can have multiple accounts in the one interface and the desktop portable app is also pretty good.

Discord pretty crappy on quality, Skype ok. Microsoft teams and Zoom also ok.

We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished. We're finished. All of us.

@Aaron said:

@mikho said:

Different platform for different crowd.

Teams is work-related,
    Whatsapp (video calls between android and iphone)/Sms/imessage - family/local friends
    Skype/discord - online friends/community

• AsimAsim OGServices Provider

Primary Telegram
    Whatsapp for those who aren't on telegram

@mikho said:

@Aaron said:

@mikho said:

Different platform for different crowd.

Teams is work-related,
    Whatsapp (video calls between android and iphone)/Sms/imessage - family/local friends

Teams is the most used platform, video/call meetings and chat.

• You don't need an app for messaging. Instead:

• Write me a letter.
    • Send me an email.
    • Transmit a UDP datagram with nc(1) command.
    • Save your message in a floppy drive, seal it in a bottle, and throw it into the Pacific. Label the bottle with "yoursunny.com" for identification. I go to Santa Monica beach every few years to collect such bottles.
    • Convert your message to radio wave and broadcast it. It will reach a black hole. When I am about to die in this world, I'll launch myself into the black hole, and spend an eternity reading your messages. However, I would not be able to reply.
    Thanked by (1)Dewlance

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• many are concerned about WA new policy aswell but practically many more ppl are not bothered about privacy at all (regular users, not tech savvy)
    so its a PITA to move away from WA.

i clicked on WA accept terms because it is annoying but i am planning to do an experiment of removing whatsapp and using signal and telegram and before deleting app (not closing account) i will set my bio/status as "Deleted WA, reach me in signal/telegram" ... looks silly but that's important as most of the ppl are on signal only.

but in reality, i don't use WA much...i don't join any groups and i receiv very few msgs.

it is just that feeling nothing else...if people really wanted to reach us...they can still use old SMS feature.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Started using Signal for SMS last year, now I've managed to get my partner to switch from WA.

Thanked by (1)jureve
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited January 2021

I use what people who I communicate with use.
    In my country, it's Viber in 90% of the cases.
    Followed by the Facebook Messenger.

Always on silent. I reply when I'm in front of a PC.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• in personal life: nothing. I make phone call/sms to contact with people I know. (Thanks mom)
    For work: Whatever my team uses.

• @imok said: I'm a Whatsapp and Instagram user, I left Facebook years ago. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

"WhatsApp joined Facebook in 2014, but continues to operate as a separate app with a laser focus on building a messaging service that works fast and reliably anywhere in the world."

"Instagram from Facebook"

So you left the Facebook web page but stayed with the company. Interesting choice. ;-)

• WhatsApp - Used by everyone here, so unfortunately I HAVE to keep it, for now.
    Signal - When it was trending, some of my contacts used it for a day or two and then they went back to WhatsApp.
    Telegram - Kinda idle, was active on it, mostly groups and channels but got sick of the notifications and 100's of unread messages.
    Snapchat - I don't get it, but 90% of my friends insist on using it for messaging and calls.
    XMPP - For a couple of online friends that don't use anything else but XMPP.

• Way too many apps nowadays. Life was so good during the IRC + MSN + SMS days.

• @Mew said:
    Way too many apps nowadays. Life was so good during the IRC + MSN + SMS days.

life was simpler when there was no internet.

Thanked by (3)yoursunny imok Dewlance
  • Facebook Messenger for private use, Skype for work (about to move to Teams). Discord for some special interests and groups.
    Video and meetings Google Meet if I'm the organizer, otherwise whatever the other party uses.
    I have both Signal and Telegram, but very rarely use them.

I cant really relate to this Whatsapp hysteria since nobody I know uses it. I don't know if its a local thing or something but I've never even heard of someone using it.

• @skorous said:

@imok said: I'm a Whatsapp and Instagram user, I left Facebook years ago. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

"WhatsApp joined Facebook in 2014, but continues to operate as a separate app with a laser focus on building a messaging service that works fast and reliably anywhere in the world."

"Instagram from Facebook"

So you left the Facebook web page but stayed with the company. Interesting choice. ;-)

I know both apps are owned by Facebook. Who does not know about that here? Did I say I left Facebook because of privacy issues? No.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@mikho said:

Teams is work-related,

@rcy026 said:
    Facebook Messenger for private use, Skype for work (about to move to Teams). Discord for some special interests and groups.
    Video and meetings Google Meet if I'm the organizer, otherwise whatever the other party uses.
    I have both Signal and Telegram, but very rarely use them.

The world we love in!

Sorry to know I am not alone.

Add Twitter DM Facetime and iMessage to the above lists for certain contacts.

It’s just as bad for video calling/conference
    Zoom
    Jio Meet
    MS Teams
    Go To Webinar
    WebEx
    Jitsi

Thanked by (1)Dewlance
  • Oh right I forgot Workplace Chat from Facebook.

And for video calls Google Meet and Zoom.

• @imok said: Who does not know about that here? Did I say I left Facebook because of privacy issues? No

Sounds like I might've touched a nerve. It was just an attempt at levity since you said you left Facebook but never really left using the other apps. If you took that as an attack then I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent.

Thanked by (1)imok
  • Tbh, I usually just use email even for chat-like conversations. For more privacy and chattiness I have a self hosted nextcloud server with the talk/chat add-on.

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

I tried Signal but not good like WA. :)

However I will uninstall WhatsApp within few month.

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Signal for 90% of messages. On all the other ones too though cause people have different preferences

• @Dewlance said:
    I tried Signal but not good like WA. :)

However I will uninstall WhatsApp within few month.

same plan.
    telegram already added option to export whatsapp chat to telegram.
    if signal adds same...i will be happy to ditch whatsapp altogether.

Thanked by (1)Dewlance