Pay-for-use pricing?

lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Just curious, I think this would be pretty cool.

Imagine providers averaging your CPU usage over the course of a month, RAM, disk, b/w and then charging based on usage only.

If you're idling a VPS, cost will be much lower than if you're transcoding on the CPU (and from a provider's side, it makes sense bc you charge more for people who use more resources)

What do you guys think?

FluidStack: Up to $600 Monthly For Your GPU(s) or Rent Affordable GPU Machines | VC-backed | 2,000+ Machines Under Management
ISODME: Web hosting | Managed VPS services | U.S. based support | High Uptime | isodme.com

Comments

  • I think you will get a lot of "Oh, that much, sorry can't pay".

    Thanked by (1)ehab
  • I'd love this usage based pricing model.

    CPU, network I/O, and IP leasing are easily measurable in all cases.

    RAM usage only makes sense for containers (LXC and OpenVZ).
    For full virtualization (KVM), it doesn't make sense because the guest OS would take up all the available RAM as filesystem cache.
    Nevertheless, I would like to have an API that seamlessly resizes my RAM (with or without reboot), because some of my apps require more RAM during installation and upgrades (NPM, pip, Go Compiler, etc), but less RAM in daily operation.

    It is also difficult to measure disk storage in full virtualization, if the guest OS is accessing it as a block device and the hypervisor doesn't know which blocks are empty.
    However, I/O is easily measurable, and the amount of writes is a useful metric in billing because it affects NVMe storage lifespan and hence provider costs.

    Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Daniel

    January push-ups report: The Reality of NDN Video Streaming
    box0123__6___ (free / NAT); vps_1__45__8_ (paid)

  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

    @yoursunny said:
    I'd love this usage based pricing model.

    CPU, network I/O, and IP leasing are easily measurable in all cases.

    RAM usage only makes sense for containers (LXC and OpenVZ).
    For full virtualization (KVM), it doesn't make sense because the guest OS would take up all the available RAM as filesystem cache.
    Nevertheless, I would like to have an API that seamlessly resizes my RAM (with or without reboot), because some of my apps require more RAM during installation and upgrades (NPM, pip, Go Compiler, etc), but less RAM in daily operation.

    It is also difficult to measure disk storage in full virtualization, if the guest OS is accessing it as a block device and the hypervisor doesn't know which blocks are empty.
    However, I/O is easily measurable, and the amount of writes is a useful metric in billing because it affects NVMe storage lifespan and hence provider costs.

    A bit more than list, start, stop? :) A bit less than SLURM? :)

    Does there exist a simple, open source implementation that @yoursunny might like? :)

    Tom, not Oles. Happy New York City guy visiting in Mexico!
    Purveyor of Fast-as-Metal LXC and KVM VPSes!

  • You mean like this?

    https://aws.amazon.com/fargate/pricing/

    This a is container not a VM but it’s the same concept.

    Thanked by (3)lentro chimichurri Unixfy
  • Sounds a bit like what the whole "Jelastic" approach is about. ;)

  • Would very much be into this kind of model.

  • @Bochi said: Jelastic

    Was thinking the same thing. Currently using cloudjiffy by @leapswitch which requires payment per cloudlet which is 128M ram or 400Mhz CPU (whichever bigger)

  • IMO, pricing like this only works with Enterprise or people who want to save money / use a tiny bit.

    Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • @sanvit said:

    @Bochi said: Jelastic

    Was thinking the same thing. Currently using cloudjiffy by @leapswitch which requires payment per cloudlet which is 128M ram or 400Mhz CPU (whichever bigger)

    Just out of curiosity: what are you deploying/running there?
    I only played around with the Jelastic service provided by ArubaCloud, but even though I liked the idea/system in general, I couldn't really find a use for my (non-enterprise) needs...

  • @Aaron said:
    You mean like this?

    https://aws.amazon.com/fargate/pricing/

    This a is container not a VM but it’s the same concept.

    GCP and Azure also have something like this:

    https://cloud.google.com/run/
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/container-instances/

  • Seems like it's about $10/month for .25 CPU and 512MB RAM

  • DanielDaniel OG
    edited February 23

    Personally I like predictable pricing so I'm not a fan of pricing models like this. I want to know exactly how much my bill will be every month. For CPU usage, I like when the host is straightforward about the limits (eg. BuyVM's lowest plan clearly says "Average usage of around 15% of a physical CPU"), and then customers that use more than that can just upgrade to the next plan. I like hosts like BinaryLane where you can add more CPU cores without having to upgrade everything else (RAM, disk space, etc), although some of their nodes are very unbalanced as a result.

    @lentro said:
    Imagine providers averaging your CPU usage over the course of a month, RAM, disk, b/w and then charging based on usage only.

    This is already somewhat common with bandwidth (95th percentile billing). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstable_billing

Sign In or Register to comment.