News from the Gutter ...

Comments

• y tho i have to flush it 25 times?

i cri evry tim!

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• (Now it's slow if I try to go back to previous page/page 9)

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @flips - just this thread is slow?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Just page 9.
    Something takes ages to load.

Thanked by (2)uptime flips

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• seems fine from here

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

I suspect the slow page load for page 9 is due to the original canary image (dead link) referenced in this comment: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/10330/#Comment_10330

@uptime said:
    The canary image that may or may not be displayed directly above is served from Hosting73

Thanked by (1)flips

• Ah, yes, remember that image, not showing now, guess there's a timeout ...

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Didn't try to preload on my dialup so IDK what the hell is wrong with you bitches.

Thanked by (1)poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• edited December 2019

but their websites are working just fine. look like not hosted on their own servers lol

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • meanwhile, back in the old country, another burst of flatulence amidst the lingering stench of colonitis:

jbiloh said:

joepie91 said: You forgot 5. Avoid anything associated with ColoCrossing.

It's deeply unfortunate that customers of the hosting parent that collapsed were impacted in the way in which they were. Never a good outcome when end users don't receive what they paid for.

When it comes to financial damages ColoCrossing provided services for an extended period without payment from the hosting companies. Even still, ColoCrossing provided additional weeks of service (on ColoCrossing dime) so that end users could take backups, etc, after the hosting companies announced their closure.

As far as LEB goes and the posts, I am putting together a plan that will require more scrutiny for hosts who are featured there. Cannot allow repeats like this to happen.

Thanked by (1) SCAM_DONT_BUY
    Jon Biloh - ColoCrossing.com

Lulz intensifies ...

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

• Like I said on the other forum, Deluxe probably just realised they bought a poisoned chalice and they are now turning the screws on them.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

What a big fucking joke
    What the business people there don't practise due diligence? What they smoking cos I wanna get real high right now

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @uptime said:
    meanwhile, back in the old country, another burst of flatulence amidst the lingering stench of colonitis:

jbiloh said:

joepie91 said: You forgot 5. Avoid anything associated with ColoCrossing.

It's deeply unfortunate that customers of the hosting parent that collapsed were impacted in the way in which they were. Never a good outcome when end users don't receive what they paid for.

When it comes to financial damages ColoCrossing provided services for an extended period without payment from the hosting companies. Even still, ColoCrossing provided additional weeks of service (on ColoCrossing dime) so that end users could take backups, etc, after the hosting companies announced their closure.

As far as LEB goes and the posts, I am putting together a plan that will require more scrutiny for hosts who are featured there. Cannot allow repeats like this to happen.

Thanked by (1) SCAM_DONT_BUY
    Jon Biloh - ColoCrossing.com

Lulz intensifies ...

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• I feel like plastering all over the hosting forums that nobody should trust Deluxe fraud check service because it obviously failed to work as intended when Deluxe acquired ColonCrossing.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson - lol but do ask yourself, is that trip really necessary?

I would like to think that a persuasive case can be made for Deluxe to set LET free from the cc shadow before it becomes an outright liability for their larger brand. At this point Deluxe might still possibly regain some goodwill by disentangling LET from cc, and possibly also disentangling cc from the usual suspects responsible for LET's sorry state of affairs over the last several years.

But would expect better results getting that point across to Deluxe without veering too far off the rails into conspiritard territorah (which is that much easier for a neutral party to dismiss as probably untrue as well as definitely unpleasant and tedious to engage with) ...

anyway, getting through to Deluxe one way or another still seems like a long shot and essentially a moot point going forward - looking at the rapid growth of LES signups and quality posts, it seems quite possible that we may already be past the tipping point for this forum to now be the comfortable center of the lowend community as we've come to know it. Though there may still be a long way to go - and that long tail of new users brought in via search engines will need a good path to get from there to here - but all things considered, I feel like that's the situation we are now beginning to appreciate as this saga continues to unfold.

That said ... one might also consider as an example the trajectory of the sourceforge website over the years as it changed owners, lost credibility - and then changed owners again to achieve some redemption value. (You all remember sourceforge, right?) ... Anyway, if something along those lines were to happen with LET, it would indeed be a wonderful thing to behold, for great justice and all that.

Cheers!

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

They are praying on 1 irrefutable fact, if it is cheap enough, there are enough people who cannot control themselves, they don't think first they just buy.

I have proven with the original NAT services that even if you put a tick box that says "IF YOU TICK THIS BOX YOU WILL NOT GET A VPS AND YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR MONEY"

It was €3.50 p/year so people started to get excited and they buy anyway even with the info literally right in front of them.

Obviously I provided the service anyway, but a good 50 - 100 ish orders were made ticking that box.

You cannot solve the human condition.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    They are praying on 1 irrefutable fact, if it is cheap enough, there are enough people who cannot control themselves, they don't think first they just buy.

I have proven with the original NAT services that even if you put a tick box that says "IF YOU TICK THIS BOX YOU WILL NOT GET A VPS AND YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR MONEY"

It was €3.50 p/year so people started to get excited and they buy anyway even with the info literally right in front of them.

Obviously I provided the service anyway, but a good 50 - 100 ish orders were made ticking that box.

human greed you mean

tgl said: human greed you mean

You don't see billionaires acting like this so I don't think it is quite so simple :)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@AnthonySmith said:

For €3.50/year I can guarantee

That I'll make the same mistake too

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

You don't see billionaires acting like this so I don't think it is quite so simple :)

its a combination of greed and stupidity, the billionaires act in the same way, but they are smart about it, the greed is still there

in truth, most humans are consumerists, they buy 10 phones but use 1, there are some that have just one of each but in most cases they cannot afford more than one, if they had money they would buy as many as possible, the others prefer to keep the money and not spend it, still greed

this is not the only scam that catches people in this way, for example there are used cars scams, a dentist paid 50,000 USD for a mercedes that was worth 100k before even seeing the car (not @Chievo), he also sent the money in 5 tranches using webmoney as instructed to avoid paying taxes

a good example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/6mhmyf/autotrader_scam/

they are both wondering if its true ! this is how greed beats logic

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @tgl said:

@AnthonySmith said:

its a combination of greed and stupidity, the billionaires act in the same way, but they are smart about it, the greed is still there

in truth, most humans are consumerists, they buy 10 phones but use 1, there are some that have just one of each but in most cases they cannot afford more than one, if they had money they would buy as many as possible, the others prefer to keep the money and not spend it, still greed

this is not the only scam that catches people in this way, for example there are used cars scams, a dentist paid 50,000 USD for a mercedes that was worth 100k before even seeing the car (not @Chievo), he also sent the money in 5 tranches using webmoney as instructed to avoid paying taxes

a good example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/6mhmyf/autotrader_scam/

they are both wondering if its true ! this is how greed beats logic

I am not stupid enough to do it in that way ;)no car no money like the old school . i have just seen another stupid behaviour. I was on the queue to buy the spanish lottery and there was a woman that was selling the lottery at the same price of the oficial one but she was unoffical provider so the tickets were scam or stolen . and even that someone has bought scam/stolen tickets for 100€ . so people is like it is. Someone deserves to be scamed because deserve it. It is pretty clear that something does not exist but people believe that are clever than anybody. So .....honestly i have no idea how 3-5€ server per year are working but people is asking for them anyway so .....people is like it is. It was even a dental scam in Spain where people was thinking that a business was paying for their treatment so the treatment was cheaper. In fact this dental scam was calling theirself dentists with heart. In fact it was dental pyramide and the owners are in prison right now. So you know i am not dentist with heart but neither a scammer ...

Dentistry is my passion

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@AnthonySmith said: the human condition

so many wrinkles to this one

a willingness to fleece the gullible and/or to be fleeced by the guileful

combined with the inexplicable but occasionally irresistable urge to stick one's dick into a hornets nest

case in point: a carefree request for bug reports in the interest of addressing "issues" ... oooof.

That one is just starting to percolate into some new fresh hell over there ... Lulz:

uptime said:
    I've enjoyed LET for the last couple years, but it's difficult to ignore the increasing stench of long-fermenting neglect and obvious corruption. I suppose some people might have a different tolerance for this kind of bullshit, and many others might not yet know any better. But at this point it seems clear that enough of the lowend community has moved on to discover more comfortable and less compromised places to do their shopping and shitposting. Meanwhile back here ... the veneer has worn quite thin.

So if I were asking people to look for bugs, I might also take a close look in the mirror. And gazing long into that abyss, I might strain my ears to hear the faint echo of some ghost of glib claims made not all that long ago ... something something "changes are coming"

Change is inevitable, but unfortunately not necessarily in the right direction. I don't know why anyone would trust the usual suspects in the colocrossing crew to be making any real changes for the better at this point, after establishing a clear pattern of either incompetence or outright fraud.

Perhaps some people higher up at Deluxe are starting to wake up and smell the coffee ...?

Any interested observer would do well to realize by now that the easiest way to turn LET around might be for Deluxe to simply clean house, and cut @jbiloh and @CVPS_Chris loose from any further involvement with this once-venerable forum. It seems apparent that these specific individuals have had too long a history of shitty behavior, ill will and distrust to now suddenly expect some magical turnaround by simply slapping a fresh coat of paint over the revolving shitshow of LEB deadpool "hosts" being funnelled through LET on their way down the drain.

That's my bug report.

SCAM_DONT_BUY said;

jbiloh said: I appreciate the time and effort of anyone who spends a few moments to help us highlight the currently existing issues.

You cannot fix the problems anymore. :) You will go down the shithole with your company.

But in case you're interested, we can help you identify the issue. It's simple:

You're welcome.

Edit: THE END IS NEAR.

teamacc said:
    Bug report.

Chris Niedojadlo

is back

on LEB.

If this is the amount of "fraud protection" that Deluxe pretends to offer I'd be surprised what their stock prices are going to do quite soon.

poisson said:
    Not sure how ColonCrossing passed their fraud protection during the acquisition. I wouldn't trust Deluxe's fraud protection when they cannot even properly audit a scam operation.

uptime said: so many wrinkles to this one

I am quite sensitive about my age these days, low blow!

Thanked by (2)uptime vpsgeek

• @AnthonySmith said: I am quite sensitive about my age these days, low blow!

Nowadays, the real life party begins when reach 40! Cheer up!

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• @jvnadr said: the real life party begins when reach 40

Shite, what did I miss all those moons ago?

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• yes, 40 is the new 20

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • Why do people subject themselves to these hosts? I'd understand if money is tight but that's why things like LES exist in the first place: to go along with the idea of making the most out of constrained resources.

There are three basic questions that need to be asked:
    1. Is this host reputable?
    2. What am I willing to lose if this host deadpools?
    3. Are there slightly costly but better alternatives?

It boils down to what @AnthonySmith said about greed. You don't need those promised resources for that VPS nor all that space. Make do with less but better (reputation wise) should be the mantra for 2020.

• andrejandrej Hosting ProviderOG

@Voss said:
    Why do people subject themselves to these hosts? I'd understand if money is tight but that's why things like LES exist in the first place: to go along with the idea of making the most out of constrained resources.

There are three basic questions that need to be asked:
    1. Is this host reputable?
    2. What am I willing to lose if this host deadpools?
    3. Are there slightly costly but better alternatives?

It boils down to what @AnthonySmith said about greed. You don't need those promised resources for that VPS nor all that space. Make do with less but better (reputation wise) should be the mantra for 2020.

They got featured on LEB. So when they are featured that means something to normal consumer. That is how i see it.

drserver.net

• poissonpoisson OG
    edited December 2019

If there is a way to remove LEB from Google then we will see complaints of scams dropping by 50 percent at least. For many people (myself included years back), when upgrading from shared to VPS, we often use Google and guess who comes out top?

Only when shit hits the fan you Google somemore and you will find other places that are more reliable sources.

I haven't figured out a solution to the Google problem but I am taking a stab making a reliable LEB alternative and hopefully it will go up Google rankings fast enough to at least let new LE hosting entrants see it.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson said:
    If there is s way to remove LEB from Google then we will see complaints of scams dropping by 50 percent at least. For many people (myself included years back), when upgrading from shared to VPS, we often use Google and guess who comes out top?

Only when shit hits the fan you Google somemore and you will find other places that are more reliable sources.

I haven't figured out a solution to the Google problem but I am taking a stab making a reliable LEB alternative and hopefully it will go up Google rankings fast enough to at least let new LE hosting entrants see it.

I like your approach. Only thing that I do miss is tutorials like how LEA used to post on leb. I mean how I do that tends o get better google hits so there's that :)