OVH SBG Offline - SBG2 Completely Destroyed

Comments

• MS said:
    In some countries, this could've meant over a 100 deaths. It's good that nobody got hurt.

Being a datacenter means there isn't generally anyone there.

Which ironically is probably why the whole building was burnt down; no one was there to notice early.

Thanked by (2)_MS_ Janevski

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Guess how many users have their backups in the same datacentre?

Action and Reaction in history

• Having "a backup" on the same location isn't a backup. Backup 101.

• @elliotc said:
    Guess how many users have their backups in the same datacentre?

According to Twitter:

• The backups are in RBX location.
    • One can only access backups from an OVH IP address in their account.
    • When they attempt to create a VM in another datacenter, the wait time is over 2 hours.
    • Some users see the backup disappearing from their account because backup service is overwhelmed.

This is why I have all the code, config, and content on Bitbucket.
    If my server vanishes, I can redeploy my website in two hours.

Stay away from WordPress and make static websites!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @deank said:
    Having "a backup" on the same location isn't a backup. Backup 101.

Honestly, I don't expect the whole datacenter to go down. If this were to happen to me, I'd probably have to go back at least two weeks ago.

Action and Reaction in history

• @yoursunny said:

Guide please :)

• ApeWebApeWeb Hosting Provider

Unfortunate for all those involved. I am surprised it spread so far in the one building though. I would have expected them to have some pretty robust fire doors at least to ensure that it was a localised incident.

• @yoursunny said:

Where do you backup Bitbucket to? :#

• @ApeWeb said:
    Unfortunate for all those involved. I am surprised it spread so far in the one building though. I would have expected them to have some pretty robust fire doors at least to ensure that it was a localised incident.

Looking at the building, it looks pretty ghetto to me. Not even sure whether they had a working fire suppression system.

Thanked by (1)ApeWeb

• @Aaron said:

@yoursunny said:

Where do you backup Bitbucket to? :#

The website is in three git repositories. They are on my laptop and Bitbucket.
    My server contains all the code including input files (Markdown), but not the git history.

• VPS vanishes (5% probability): rsync from laptop
    • Laptop breaks (2% probability): clone from Bitbucket
    • Bitbucket deadpools (1% probability): push from laptop to GitLab
    • Laptop and Bitbucket lost at the same time (0.02% probability): scp from VPS, but I lose the git history
    • All three at the same time (0.001% probability): redirect to the Internet Archive, and start making new website

@Aaron said:

@yoursunny said:

Guide please :)

https://yoursunny.com/t/2017/yoursunny-com-git/
    https://hexo.io/

Thanked by (2)AaronSS Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Git is kinda nice, you already have 3 different backups by default.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny lentro
  • All the firewalls, oh, the irony.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• cociucociu OG
    edited March 2021

My 2 cents :

1) last year we had a problem with the fire ... but even the pompiers was surprised because the servers is not combustible so the fire was powered down by "inert gas" (the gas what we use for not let oxigen in the dc room in case a fire is detected) so pombiers was not do nothing and the fire was stopped.

2) looking to the picks what is shared in internet with the owh i see a bulding .... with xxxxxxx who know how many servers and not have a proper fusible for the electrical cable ? not one like 4-7-10 if is need etc.

3) technically is ALMOST imposible to get so agresive fire in all the bulding including a constant fire in all parts , almos same intensity ...

4) where is the fuking detection ?

5) been a bulding construed with containers ... what power of fire can this generate ?

6) the most important and maybe the comunity is help me (i mean people who is affected can share the servers model) , let supose in all bulding was only old servers with clients what is not so rentable anymore and i am pretty sure the insurance is one of the big one ... so can be 10000 factors for this fire (maybe is SF for someone but for me is not because i have see many in this life)

7 ) i reeally feel bad for them , to see part of your business burining i am sure is not a pleasure but i hope this will learn some lesson.

8) Many people this days is mining because of hight value of crypto so i sugest to all owners for this business to make doble check in the electrical system

9) All this was not to critic or defame OVH , was my point of view.

Cheers all.

Thanked by (2)Brueggus lentro
  • ChrisMillerChrisMiller Hosting ProviderOG
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2021

PHP-Friends to the rescue. They do temporarily offer free hosting to affected OVH customers to keep their services online. You can contact them via their email. Nice gesture :)
    OVH support probably is drowning right now and if clients can be hosted elsewhere for a bit that'd be quite helpful, I imagine.

• How do they know whether someone is an OVH customer to begin with?

edited March 2021

@deank said:
    How do they know whether someone is an OVH customer to begin with?

Not sure about their procedure, but a nice gesture :) Ofc, like most nice things, some ppl will try to exploit it.

• Some? A lot will try.

As soon as "free" comes to play, dignity vanishes.

• @Ympker said:

@deank said:

Not sure about their procedure, but a nice gesture :) Ofc, like most nice things, some ppl will try to exploit it.

I can imaging they might ask for a link to an invoice with the affected service. In my OVH panel I can just get a HTML-link to an invoice, which is visible for all to see. That's hard to cheat with because OVH basically gives you all data you need to verify that a person had that service there.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Groentjuh said:

@Ympker said:

@deank said:

I can imaging they might ask for a link to an invoice with the affected service. In my OVH panel I can just get a HTML-link to an invoice, which is visible for all to see. That's hard to cheat with because OVH basically gives you all data you need to verify that a person had that service there.

That's nice :)

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Hosting ProviderOG

Thanked by (2)chimichurri ariq01
  • I was somehow expecting to see Hetzner sell quite a few a server on the server auction, given that this incident most probably has affected quite a lot of people. But still not too much movement in the availability count.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS lentro
  • @Bochi said:
    I was somehow expecting to see Hetzner sell quite a few a server on the server auction, given that this incident most probably has affected quite a lot of people. But still not too much movement in the availability count.

If you didn't have a backup, and new server doesn't really help you.

Thanked by (2)lentro yoursunny
  • nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

@thedp said:
    Never heard of OVH SGB or SGB2.

Must be new.

They are old data centers that opened in 2012.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• @Aaron said:
    If you didn't have a backup, and new server doesn't really help you.

Well, as sad as it is for those affected: you are certainly right!
    And as entertaining as it might be to watch the comments over on twitter on this, I have to keep in mind, that I am also not always tracking the backup activities of my servers... However, it's just personal stuff where loosing a few days of data wouldn't hurt to much. But I suspect we will see quite a few "businesses" going down over this.

• @Bochi said: I suspect we will see quite a few "businesses" going down over this.

Me too :'(

• @nullroute said:

@thedp said:
    Never heard of OVH SGB or SGB2.

Must be new.

They are old data centers that opened in 2012.

That’s SBG/SBG2, not SGB or SGB2 ?

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• I have a kinsufi server in rbx if that can help anyone transfer backups from there. Also have one at BHS if that matters. Sympathy to everyone affected.

• Is ExtraVM France server in SBG? I hope it's not.