Wireguard Crashing

StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider
edited March 12 in General
  • NAT VM from @mikho
  • Debian 10 minimal
  • Wireguard installed using @Nyr script.
  • Monitoring from @Andrei Hetrix Tools

It works for a couple of minutes, then the wg0 service crashes.

Any suggestings on how to start troubleshooting?

Comments

  • ehabehab Content Writer

    any debug logs?
    can you start wg0 in foreground with some verbosity?

  • Could be due to fair share limit or something. May be start from scratch, update OS and then install Nyr script again. Dont do any if the other stuff and see if wireguard is stable. I myself dont use wireguard as I find it to be slower than v2ray.

    Thanked by (1)ehab
  • ehabehab Content Writer

    @xowxenxirix said:

    Thanks for v2ray mention. i will checkit out.

  • @xowxenxirix said:
    Could be due to fair share limit or something. May be start from scratch, update OS and then install Nyr script again. Dont do any if the other stuff and see if wireguard is stable. I myself dont use wireguard as I find it to be slower than v2ray.

    One is layer 4 socks on top of TCP, another one is layer 3 VPN in the kernel. But I agree that a proxy is good enough in this use case. I actually think shadowsocks are more simple and beautiful.

    Be aware or Be next

  • mikhomikho AdministratorHosting ProviderOG

    @Aaron said:

    • NAT VM from @mikho
    • Debian 10 minimal
    • Wireguard installed using @Nyr script.
    • Monitoring from @Andrei Hetrix Tools

    It works for a couple of minutes, then the wg0 service crashes.

    Any suggestings on how to start troubleshooting?

    Logs? Enable debug logs and go from there.
    If its a OOM error (which would surprise me) or something else.

    Thanked by (2)StuderSolutions skorous

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get a 20 % recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider

    Update: I redid everything, and it seems to be working :)

  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider

    Ping statistics for 172.217.12.174:
    Packets: Sent = 11301, Received = 11101, Lost = 200 (1% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 2275ms, Average = 109ms

  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider

    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

  • @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Perhaps Hetrix agent use too much resources (I don't know how), then the OS decide to nuke wg?

  • edited March 13

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

  • mikhomikho AdministratorHosting ProviderOG

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanked by (1)kuduku

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get a 20 % recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • alwyzonalwyzon Hosting Provider

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    In that case, these two tools together very likely require more system memory than there is available.

    Most software does not gently handle the case of not being able to reserve more memory whenever they want and so the software just crashes instead. Sounds a lot to me that this is the case here too.

    Thanked by (1)skorous

    Alwyzon - KVM Virtual Servers in AT and NL starting at 1,80 €/month (excl. VAT)

    • NAT VM from @mikho
    • Debian 10 minimal
    • Wireguard installed using @Nyr script.
    • Monitoring from @Andrei Hetrix Tools

    I do everything on 256mb SGP, works just fine.

    Be aware or Be next

  • @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , let me test it out

    But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart
    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

  • mikhomikho AdministratorHosting ProviderOG

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , let me test it out

    But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart
    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support.

    What crashes? On what node? You give very little information on your problem.
    I will not search thru all customers servers looking for your problem.

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get a 20 % recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • edited March 13

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , let me test it out

    But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart
    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support.

    What crashes? On what node? You give very little information on your problem.
    I will not search thru all customers servers looking for your problem.

    Relax its not yours . Yours are rocking . Not a single downtime or issue
    Just trying to understand the issue , that's why asked

  • mikhomikho AdministratorHosting ProviderOG

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , let me test it out

    But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart
    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support.

    What crashes? On what node? You give very little information on your problem.
    I will not search thru all customers servers looking for your problem.

    Relax its not yours . Yours are rocking . Not a single downtime or issue
    Just trying to understand the issue , that's why asked

    You asked the question as it was a NAT service with me.
    And given the very little information provided, it is pure luck if given the correct solution.

    I am relaxed, as a parent of 3 kids can be. ;)

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get a 20 % recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , let me test it out

    But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart
    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support.

    What crashes? On what node? You give very little information on your problem.
    I will not search thru all customers servers looking for your problem.

    Relax its not yours . Yours are rocking . Not a single downtime or issue
    Just trying to understand the issue , that's why asked

    You asked the question as it was a NAT service with me.
    And given the very little information provided, it is pure luck if given the correct solution.

    I am relaxed, as a parent of 3 kids can be. ;)

    Will make a separate thread with more details if cant resolve it . Will check the VPS for 2/3 days

  • @mikho said:

    @kuduku said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    Hetrix is working on NAT or using php version ?

    Yes

    Thanks , Got my hetrix tools also working on your NAT

  • flipsflips OG
    edited March 13

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    @alwyzon said:
    In that case, these two tools together very likely require more system memory than there is available.

    FWIW: I'm running Wireguard and HetrixTools agent on multiple 128 MB NAT VPSes (on Debian 10), with no issues ... :)

  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider

    @flips said:

    @Aaron said:
    Strange after installing HetrixTools the problem came back :-/

    @alwyzon said:
    In that case, these two tools together very likely require more system memory than there is available.

    FWIW: I'm running Wireguard and HetrixTools agent on multiple 128 MB NAT VPSes (on Debian 10), with no issues ... :)

    So wonder what is issue is....

  • boringtun is very stable in my experience. With the information given, this is most likely an OOM issue.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @kuduku said: But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart

    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    Run boringtun-upgrade in the affected server. Does it crash immediately after that?

  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider

    @Nyr said:
    boringtun is very stable in my experience. With the information given, this is most likely an OOM issue.

    After completely removing HetrixTools (Sorry @Andrei :( ) it's been rock solid.

  • @Nyr said:

    @kuduku said: But i do face an issue on another NAT . It crashes everyday at 5.30 am . Only solution is to restart

    Any pointers by the member's what could be the issue . Peculiarity is the time . Every day somewhere around 5.30am

    Run boringtun-upgrade in the affected server. Does it crash immediately after that?

    No , wire-guard did not crash
    [email protected]:~# boringtun-upgrade
    boringtun 0.3.0 is up to date

    Anything else to check ?
    Restarting wireguard services again make wireguard work properly

  • @kuduku said: Anything else to check ?

    Then I do not think that it is related to my installer, no idea on the root cause.

    Thanked by (1)kuduku
  • StuderSolutionsStuderSolutions Hosting Provider
    edited March 18
Sign In or Register to comment.