Static Websites

2»

Comments

• If you want to use a CSS Framework I'd like to recommend TailwindCSS and you can use their purge method to remove unnecessary classes ( Tailwind Production Optimization )

I would avoid using Site builder/Template since sometimes it just adds more unnecessary things to your script. If you familiar with Jamstack go with it. But basic HTML/CSS is not really that bad if just for the personal web.

To host it, since its only simple HTML/CSS anywhere cheap/free is good enough

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@fragpic said: You did pay to get the footer removed right?

No my friend, that's just a mistake in trying to integrate the footer colour with the link bar. I published again and it's back.

Thanked by (2)Ympker AaronSS
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

I've recently discovered that bunnycdn for this is actually excellent for this despite me initially shitting on them.

Basically a FTP folder you drop your static stuff in there and it serves it with https...in a edge distributed manner. So its both fast and simple because there is no server per se.

Not free, but the scaling & bang per buck looks insane. Best as I can tell whether I host 1 page of 5 big sites ends up at same cost.

(Compulsory 10 USD per year recharge i.e. buy credit...not even month charge)

Platform - I'm exploring Gatsby. Think it'll do what I need it to.

Also looking at combining this with fly.io and the major cloud's serverless tech since it's a good fit but that can wait till I learn more.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS willie
  • edited April 2021

@havoc said:
    Also looking at combining this with fly.io and the major cloud's serverless tech since it's a good fit but that can wait till I learn more.

The former looks really nice! (in fact, so nice that it makes me wonder how long it'll last this way ^^')
    As for the latter, watch out for insane bandwidth pricing, and possibly consider using Cloudflare Workers as well!

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @havoc said: (Compulsory 10 USD per year recharge i.e. buy credit...not even month charge)

I thought minimum spend was $1 a month, which is why I've kept my stuff on cheap shared and vps plans so far. I do occasionally get higher amounts of traffic for which a cdn would be useful.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@chimichurri said:
    The former looks really nice! (in fact, so nice that it makes me wonder how long it'll last this way ^^')

Yeah 3x free ipv4 seems quite a lot

@chimichurri said:
    As for the latter, watch out for insane bandwidth pricing, and possibly consider using Cloudflare Workers as well!

True. TBH though it would mostly be for API calls for storage so shouldn't exceed 1gb free allowance. Depends on what you do I guess

@willie said:
    I thought minimum spend was $1 a month, which is why I've kept my stuff on cheap shared and vps plans so far. I do occasionally get higher amounts of traffic for which a cdn would be useful.

Their documentation is self contradictory. Says $1 min on front page and $10 recharge every 12 months in the docs

https://support.bunny.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000235911-How-does-the-BunnyCDN-credit-and-billing-system-work#0

I suspect the front page $1 is just a simplification. Given that I've got $11 credit hoping for a free year basically.

• Push to github and cloudflare page/netlify

Action and Reaction in history

• @havoc said: Their documentation is self contradictory. Says $1 min on front page and $10 recharge every 12 months in the docs

Not contradictory. $1 min charge against your balance each month. $10 of actual $$ has to be paid in 1x a year.

• Use w/e static site generator that matches your favorite language >.>