"Exceptional circumstances" delay delivery of Ryzen 5950X processors for Hetzner AX101 servers

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

On the Ax101 marketing page, Hetzner says:

We can only accept pre-orders: Because of exceptional circumstances with deliveries for AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X processors, there are delayed deployment times for the AX101. Thank you for your understanding.

Also, on the Order Processing page, for AX101 at both Helsinki and Falkenstein, Hetzner says:

currently no delivery date

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Thanked by (1)willie
Tagged:

Comments

• Ah man, I’ve been toying with ordering an SX63 for a few weeks, I guess I’ve missed the next boat.

• @Nekki said:
    Ah man, I’ve been toying with ordering an SX63 for a few weeks, I guess I’ve missed the next boat.

• @Not_Oles said:

Also, on the Order Processing page, for AX101 at both Helsinki and Falkenstein, Hetzner says:

two days ago it still had 'approx. CW12 / March 22nd' on it for FSN.

(pre)ordered one on feb 22nd ... let's see.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Falzo said:

@Not_Oles said:

two days ago it still had 'approx. CW12 / March 22nd' on it for FSN.

(pre)ordered one on feb 22nd ... let's see.

Good luck! :)

• edited March 2021

One of their ax101 is being delivered to a new happy customer fairly soon, i cancelled one a few hours ago. Great server if you need the horsepower, but it didnt work out for my usecase. :(

• @Lufi said:

hey @RaveX

Thanked by (3)angstrom Mason ehab
  • @Falzo said:

@Lufi said:

hey @RaveX

Ah, so this was why he was banned on the other site

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

@Lufi said:

hey @RaveX

dropbox much anyone?

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

@Lufi said:

hey @RaveX

dropbox much anyone?

Yeah, that was the crucial clue (but I admit that I didn't see it until I saw your comment!)

Thanked by (1)Falzo

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Falzo said:

@Lufi said:

hey @RaveX

Yep, was totally him. IP match.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Falzo

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• i dunno why i am slow to recognize patterns quickly but now i know i can never be a police man.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

so..anyone is willing to sell their AX101?

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

So AMD and NVIDIA both have chip shortages (TSMC I assume, while Intel has their own fabs), I have a pallet that's two quarters late.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@lentro said:
    So AMD and NVIDIA both have chip shortages (TSMC I assume, while Intel has their own fabs), I have a pallet that's two quarters late.

I smell bitcoin mining

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@cybertech said: I smell bitcoin mining

It's called Ethereum, and it's only for idle mining when others aren't renting the machines :)

Mining is an inherently low margin business (lower electric + cheaper labor wins), and I wanna be a billionaire, so ML/rendering is the priority bc I can get the high margins (if you need consumer GPUs in Boston, Chicago, or Miami... check out https://dash-cloud.com/) :lol:

Regarding the AMD 5000 series, there is surprisingly usually some stock at AMD.com because 3000 series was already pretty good, so not sure what Hetzner's exceptional circumstances are...

Thanked by (1)cybertech

I think it's related to water shortages in Taiwan and bit-mining in China. ...Received this from pnap few days ago.

I hope you are doing well. I'm not sure just how you are aware of this situation and I'm sure you noticed our inventory being strained lately, so just wanted to share a word of advice: it would be great if you could start planning deployments in advance, start pre-ordering, perhaps multiple servers and/or act with the sense of urgency - regarding all new generation gear.

In short, this article (attached) speaks to how small the world really is….that water shortages in Taiwan and bit-mining in China can lead to a global shortage in semiconductors. But it’s real. There is a global shortage and a major disruption in a supply chain. And our friends at Intel and other vendors, are advising us to make purchases as early as we can. All microchip manufacturers and such products are affected by this. Needless to say, this affects PhoenixNAP and all data centers too.

This is true for our clients as well. As we engage with clients that are purchasing hardware services from us, either BMS, BMC or HaaS, as of recently we are advising them that they would be wise to order early.

PNAP is making buy-ahead purchases now, but even so we expect all our inventory will be allocated as soon as it arrives. With the demand far exceeding the availability, we are already at the stage where we are having wait lists. We don't expect this global situation to improve before June.

I just wanted to make sure, you are aware of this new situation.

@Abdullah said:

I made a screenshot when I ordered my AX101. Somehow I clicked something which changed the order quantity from one to two. So I emailed Hetzner to cancel the second server.

Maybe I should have just kept it. What's your offer @Abdullah ? ?

@Not_Oles said:

@Abdullah said:

I made a screenshot when I ordered my AX101. Somehow I clicked something which changed the order quantity from one to two. So I emailed Hetzner to cancel the second server.

Maybe I should have just kept it. What's your offer @Abdullah ? ?

yes, should have kept, bt we didn't knew at the time of an upcoming shortage.
    If someone got an AX101 just for benches/fun & would be surrendering it I can offer $50-60, it's less than hetzner setup fee.

@Abdullah said: I can offer $50-60,

Okay, thanks! You are first in line! :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@Abdullah said: I can offer $50-60,

Okay, thanks! You are first in line! :)

Last I heard you cant transfer a hetzner server until you've got it in your account for 30 days. So the provisioning delay might actually turn out to be slightly shorter than that.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7165819

ordered feb 22nd, delivered today...

@Abdullah said: If someone got an AX101 just for benches/fun & would be surrendering it

you wish. go order and have yourself a patient wait like everyone else :-P

gonna bench for fun anyway, like... daily ?‍♂️

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • edited March 2021

after playing around and having 3.7 TB of NVMe synced in about 35 minutes at constant 2GB/s...

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun 28 Mar 2021 07:55:28 PM CEST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 32 @ 2193.981 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 125.8 GiB
    Swap       : 64.0 GiB
    Disk       : 3.4 TiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 546.12 MB/s (136.5k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.2k)
    Write      | 547.56 MB/s (136.8k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.3k)
    Total      | 1.09 GB/s   (273.4k) | 2.47 GB/s    (38.6k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.21 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.27 GB/s     (1.2k)
    Write      | 1.28 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.36 GB/s     (1.3k)
    Total      | 2.50 GB/s     (4.8k) | 2.63 GB/s     (2.5k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 932 Mbits/sec   | 929 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 934 Mbits/sec   | 932 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 934 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy           
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 399 Mbits/sec   | 563 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 859 Mbits/sec   | 447 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 832 Mbits/sec   | 328 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy           

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 919 Mbits/sec   | 919 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 924 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 921 Mbits/sec   | 922 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 870 Mbits/sec   | 459 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 821 Mbits/sec   | 277 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1733                          
    Multi Core      | 15478                         
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7168780

@Abdullah did you (pre-)order yet? :-P

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

@Falzo said:
    after playing around and having 3.7 TB of NVMe synced in about 35 minutes at constant 2GB/s...

> #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    > #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    > # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    > # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > 
    > Sun 28 Mar 2021 07:55:28 PM CEST
    > 
    > Basic System Information:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
    > CPU cores  : 32 @ 2193.981 MHz
    > AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    > VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    > RAM        : 125.8 GiB
    > Swap       : 64.0 GiB
    > Disk       : 3.4 TiB
    > 
    > fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 546.12 MB/s (136.5k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.2k)
    > Write      | 547.56 MB/s (136.8k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.3k)
    > Total      | 1.09 GB/s   (273.4k) | 2.47 GB/s    (38.6k)
    >            |                      |                     
    > Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 1.21 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.27 GB/s     (1.2k)
    > Write      | 1.28 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.36 GB/s     (1.3k)
    > Total      | 2.50 GB/s     (4.8k) | 2.63 GB/s     (2.5k)
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    > Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
    >                 |                           |                 |                
    > Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 932 Mbits/sec   | 929 Mbits/sec  
    > Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 934 Mbits/sec   | 932 Mbits/sec  
    > WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 934 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
    > Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy           
    > Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 399 Mbits/sec   | 563 Mbits/sec  
    > Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 859 Mbits/sec   | 447 Mbits/sec  
    > Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 832 Mbits/sec   | 328 Mbits/sec  
    > Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy           
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    > Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
    >                 |                           |                 |                
    > Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 919 Mbits/sec   | 919 Mbits/sec  
    > Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 924 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec  
    > WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 921 Mbits/sec   | 922 Mbits/sec  
    > Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 870 Mbits/sec   | 459 Mbits/sec  
    > Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 821 Mbits/sec   | 277 Mbits/sec  
    > 
    > Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value                         
    >                 |                               
    > Single Core     | 1733                          
    > Multi Core      | 15478                         
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7168780
    > 

@Abdullah did you (pre-)order yet? :-P

nope, instead, I got something in Poland.
    Hetzner not very cooperative while handling abuse complaints.

Haven't you heard? Hetzner transfer tokens are up 79% just since this morning!!! It's amazing!!!

@Falzo said: 1733

Congrats! You beat me by 8 points! :)

@Abdullah said: I got something in Poland.

Would be interesting to know what you got and from whom. :) And how you like it. :)

Would be interesting to know what cooperation you wanted but did not receive. :)

• @Abdullah said: Hetzner not very cooperative while handling abuse complaints.

yeah depending on the problem you might need to make sure, that you react at least quickly. usually they are not a feasible provider if your client base tends to be... inconsiderate.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

@Not_Oles said:

@Abdullah said: I got something in Poland.

Would be interesting to know what you got and from whom. :) And how you like it. :)

Would be interesting to know what cooperation you wanted but did not receive.

I got a machine from skynode.
    Was considering them since sometime, got provisioned Sunday.
    Hopefully everything goes fine, I will continue. Posting a YABS soon.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Abdullah said: I got a machine from skynode.

Interesting! Thanks!

Hopefully everything goes fine,

Yes! Best wishes!

Thanked by (1)Abdullah