Oakley Capital agrees sale of WebPros (cPanel, Plesk, WHMCS, SolusVM) to CVC Fund VII

FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG
edited December 2019 in Industry News

Didn't see a post about this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/oakley-capital-webpros-sale/oakley-to-sell-swiss-webhosting-software-maker-webpros-sources-idUSL8N28E5RY

So it looks like they're trying to sell it now that they've used cPanel as a proof-of-concept to spike pricing.

If this goes through we'll see another cPanel price hike within 12 months. I'll bet dinner on that.

Francisco

Comments

• I’m not surprised at all. At that sort of money it will be another private equity firm who themselves will try to drive more money from their investment as you say and we will most likely see more prices rises on the horizon.

• @Francisco said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/oakley-capital-webpros-sale/oakley-to-sell-swiss-webhosting-software-maker-webpros-sources-idUSL8N28E5RY

So it looks like they're trying to sell it now that they've used cPanel as a proof-of-concept to spike pricing.

If this goes through we'll see another cPanel price hike within 12 months. I'll bet dinner on that.

Francisco

It is paid 1.01 for a new price increase. It is question of time to buy DA as well and expand their own pricing into the system. Just question of time.

Dentistry is my passion

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

My money's on investment companies

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Just move off everything owned by them

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• @Rahul said:
    $7.

This is LES $7 is too expensive, I think the new standard should be $5.

Regarding cPanel etc. I would just run for the hills

• hostEONShostEONS Hosting ProviderOG

@Francisco said:

Francisco

If it goes through my bet is on SolusVM Price increase rather then cPanel as cPanel already had a major price increase and now they know that providers will just rant for a while and most of them will just pay the increased price and stick to them

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

I bet many of the speculated future increases are already planned under the current owners. Or at least, they've included them as "potential margin expansion opportunities" in the presentations they are circulating to potential bidders. Just speculation here, obviously.

Thanked by (3)pepa65 Mason ChrisMiller
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

If you don't have Blesta Owned Lifetime yet, now's the time before any more changes will happen to WHMCS as well.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee pepa65
  • Plop!

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Would anybody like to loan me a small loan of $1.5 billion dollars?

Thanked by (1)flips
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@SmallWeb said:

Do you want fries with that?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Ympker said:

@SmallWeb said:

Do you want fries with that?

$0.20/m per additional fry?

Thanked by (2)Ympker Daniel
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

well fuck me

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @MikeA said:
    well fuck me

For money or for love?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2019

@Amitz said:

@MikeA said:
    well fuck me

For money or for love?

Thanked by (2)Amitz FlamingSpaceJunk
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@qps said:
    I bet many of the speculated future increases are already planned under the current owners. Or at least, they've included them as "potential margin expansion opportunities" in the presentations they are circulating to potential bidders. Just speculation here, obviously.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant by "proof of concept".

WHMCS & Solus are going to be the main places they can milk.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)pepa65
  • Wonder if they're selling because the cpanel price hike backfired so they don't want it any more.

Thanked by (1)pepa65

@Francisco said:

@qps said:

Francisco

I've been thinking about this constantly and it makes me want to migrate to alternatives now just in case, but man, I wonder what's actually happening behind the scenes. Like with Solus.io now. WHMCS is easy to get rid of, but something like SolusVM isn't. I hope it is viable long term, but right now, SolusVM is quite a bit more expensive than alternatives (even Fleio.io) or just running off of some open virtualization platform.

Yours truly.

• Something roughly resembling SolusVM can be coded in two weeks(tm). So if they do spike their prices I bet something else is going to pop up. The (im)maturity is gonna suck, but still...

Thanked by (1)pepa65

@comi said:
    Something roughly resembling SolusVM can be coded in two weeks(tm). So if they do spike their prices I bet something else is going to pop up. The (im)maturity is gonna suck, but still...

I doubt it, but hopefully, more options is always better.

Yours truly.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@MikeA said:

@Francisco said:

@qps said:

Francisco

I've been thinking about this constantly and it makes me want to migrate to alternatives now just in case, but man, I wonder what's actually happening behind the scenes. Like with Solus.io now. WHMCS is easy to get rid of, but something like SolusVM isn't. I hope it is viable long term, but right now, SolusVM is quite a bit more expensive than alternatives (even Fleio.io) or just running off of some open virtualization platform.

You have OpenVZ still, no?

If so, your options are nil. Even Proxmox only supports it on v3 which dates back to before OpenVZ 7 was even in BETA.

Best you can all hope for is that Solus comes in at < $3/month/core or less. I don't see $2.00/m/core happening since then people would just use more E3's and be paying less overall.

Francisco

• Lube alone is insufficient. You bend over as well with legs wide open too.

Thanked by (1)Francisco

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @Adam said:

@Rahul said:
    $7.

This is LES $7 is too expensive, I think the new standard should be $5.

Regarding cPanel etc. I would just run for the hills

$7 included

poisson said: Lube

So

poisson said: sufficient

@Francisco said:

If so, your options are nil. Even Proxmox only supports it on v3 which dates back to before OpenVZ 7 was even in BETA.

Best you can all hope for is that Solus comes in at < $3/month/core or less. I don't see $2.00/m/core happening since then people would just use more E3's and be paying less overall.

Francisco

I'm almost certainly going to just get rid of OpenVZ sometime soon. I don't want to move clients to VZ7 really, I'd rather push people to use KVM and make things easier in the future. Just waiting for new hardware.

Yours truly.

• @poisson said:
    Lube alone is insufficient. You bend over as well with legs wide open too.

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited December 2019

Seriously, has anyone here ever tried exposing the butthole to the sun for some time like above? Does it really bring any benefit? My way of living would allow me to do that without shocking third parties. Maybe I should try.

Sun - be prepared for my cornholio!

Thanked by (2)Janevski dedicados

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019

@Francisco said:

@MikeA said:

@Francisco said:

@qps said:

Francisco

Francisco

Dear Fran don't you think Virtualizor is a good enough replacement for SolusVM? It seems to have much more features & many respectable providers seem to be using it without any issues. What does it lack?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

@vpsgeek said:
    Dear Fran don't you think Virtualizor is a good enough replacement for SolusVM? It seems to have much more features & many respectable providers seem to be using it without any issues. What does it lack?

I've seen so many people complain about bugs in the past, but maybe it works great now days. At least Virtualizor has a good size team working on it instead of one or two people.

Maybe I'll have to setup a server to test it on, I haven't used it in years.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

Yours truly.