bunny.net (BunnyCDN) - Easter Giveaway Event

2»

Comments

• @havoc does your scheme for static site on Bunny rely on using ANAME for your root domain, if you want to have your pages show up there instead of on b-cdn.net ? I guess I can live with a subdomain CNAME but would rather use my root domain. Thanks!

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited April 2021

@willie said: I guess I can live with a subdomain CNAME but would rather use my root domain. Thanks!

You point the domain at CF nameservers then go

The www. has the be orange clouded cause you need that to set up a permanent redirect to the root like so (also on CF)

So regardless of which they type in they should end up at a non-CF'd bunny cdn hosted root

reds above are my domain. yellow is the bunny cdn alias thingie

• @havoc thanks, I guess CNAME on root is similar to ANAME. Is that a cloudflare-only DNS thing, or can I use my existing DNS? Currently mostly using namesilo which I suspect is relabelled cloudflare. I guess I can switch to cloudflare if necessary but I'd generally rather minimize the number of vendors involved in this stuff. Anyway I have a few idle domains I can experiment with before putting an actual site on it, so will try that.

@willie said:
    @havoc thanks, I guess CNAME on root is similar to ANAME. Is that a cloudflare-only DNS thing, or can I use my existing DNS? Currently mostly using namesilo which I suspect is relabelled cloudflare. I guess I can switch to cloudflare if necessary but I'd generally rather minimize the number of vendors involved in this stuff. Anyway I have a few idle domains I can experiment with before putting an actual site on it, so will try that.

Wouldn't pretend to understand that part but I gather this is the magic sauce

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cname-flattening-rfc-compliant-cnames-at-a-domains-root/

Whether namesilo does the same I can't say

Thanked by (1)willie
  • @havoc said: CF free sending errors to users (404s etc) & it magically going away after CF pro upgrade

Well, a 40X and 50X is different on it> @havoc said:

@willie said: I guess I can live with a subdomain CNAME but would rather use my root domain. Thanks!

You point the domain at CF nameservers then go

The www. has the be orange clouded cause you need that to set up a permanent redirect to the root like so (also on CF)

So regardless of which they type in they should end up at a non-CF'd bunny cdn hosted root

reds above are my domain. yellow is the bunny cdn alias thingie

This works similarly to ANAME. However, since Cloudflare has way more DNS PoPs than any other DNS providers, ANAME does perform similar to using Bunny itself. However, you should see some weird routing here and there.

• So should I sign up for CF DNS? Any idea what it costs at super low traffic? That's on the idea that the free plan is slower / has fewer pops, etc.

@willie said:
    So should I sign up for CF DNS? Any idea what it costs at super low traffic? That's on the idea that the free plan is slower / has fewer pops, etc.

I would.

I don't think the free plan is an issue here since we're not really relying on CF for much. Just DNS which as @sanvit points out even under free plan CF has plenty of POPs.

The "inferiority" of free CF is more when you're actively using their network for caching i.e. orange clouded. And even that I've not personally seen just heard whispers. Definitely continuing to use CF free for stuff not static enough for above approach

• @havoc said:

@willie said:
    So should I sign up for CF DNS? Any idea what it costs at super low traffic? That's on the idea that the free plan is slower / has fewer pops, etc.

I would.

I don't think the free plan is an issue here since we're not really relying on CF for much. Just DNS which as @sanvit points out even under free plan CF has plenty of POPs.

The "inferiority" of free CF is more when you're actively using their network for caching i.e. orange clouded. And even that I've not personally seen just heard whispers. Definitely continuing to use CF free for stuff not static enough for above approach

For DNS, I would also recommend Cloudflare for now. They are fast and reliable enough (it seems to be the fastest free or paid option tbh), and most 3rd party plugin supports it.

I have heard that Bunny is working on their own DNS system (which also seems to be free?), and this would allow users to connect their root domain to Bunny CDN.

• Also check out cloudns