VPS For Transfer - [Update: Gone]

AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
edited April 27 in General

I have this launch special VPS from NB entrybytes, got one in excitement & don't have any use for it.
planning to transfer out & donate the amount to a local charity.

3GB RAM
1vCPU
45GB disk
1.5TB Bandwidth
$31.5 per year.
DC: Worldstream Netherlands

paid till 1st April 2022, asking for $29.5, original price $45

Anyone might be interested?

Thanks.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Comments

  • Does this come with free DA license?

  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

    @gms said:
    Does this come with free DA license?

    yes, a DA license is included in this plan. :)

  • @Abdullah said:

    @gms said:
    Does this come with free DA license?

    yes, a DA license is included in this plan. :)

    Awesome, I'm offering $25 :)

  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

    @gms said:
    Awesome, I'm offering $25 :)

    Just confirmed they have a one-time $3 charge for transfers, should that work.. feel free to PM :)

  • @Abdullah said:

    @gms said:
    Awesome, I'm offering $25 :)

    Just confirmed they have a one-time $3 charge for transfers, should that work.. feel free to PM :)

    That's $28 total correct? Lets do it.

  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

    @gms said:

    @Abdullah said:

    @gms said:
    Awesome, I'm offering $25 :)

    Just confirmed they have a one-time $3 charge for transfers, should that work.. feel free to PM :)

    That's $28 total correct? Lets do it.

    PM'd you.

  • people say that, impulse is monster.
    a chinese proverb.

  • @aRNoLD said:
    people say that, impulse is monster.
    a chinese proverb.

    Every time I want to buy something, I ask myself:
    What are the reasons NOT to buy this?
    If there's any, I don't buy.

    For this listing, my reason of not buying is:
    My vps9 in Munich should be enough for serving push-ups to Western Europe region, and it costs less.

    I'm itching for Singapore because I figured Tokyo may not serve India and Vietnam well, according to how the network looks like on Submarine Cable Map.
    My reason of not buying any Singapore offer yet is:
    I haven't actually measured the video quality in India served from Tokyo, so I shouldn't be adding costly nodes until I've done the measurements.

    Thanked by (1)hanoi
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

    @yoursunny said:

    @aRNoLD said:
    people say that, impulse is monster.
    a chinese proverb.

    Every time I want to buy something, I ask myself:
    What are the reasons NOT to buy this?
    If there's any, I don't buy.

    For this listing, my reason of not buying is:
    My vps9 in Munich should be enough for serving push-ups to Western Europe region, and it costs less.

    I'm itching for Singapore because I figured Tokyo may not serve India and Vietnam well, according to how the network looks like on Submarine Cable Map.
    My reason of not buying any Singapore offer yet is:
    I haven't actually measured the video quality in India served from Tokyo, so I shouldn't be adding costly nodes until I've done the measurements.

    Are you into sponsors & such? I can arrange a node at SG in return for a small backlink to our site.

  • edited April 27

    @Abdullah said:
    Are you into sponsors & such? I can arrange a node at SG in return for a small backlink to our site.

    Sure, but not in next few months.

    As you may have noticed, there are push-ups dedicated to RackNerd and Nexril, and a frontpage link to Evolution Host.

    • RackNerd sent a backpack.
    • Nexril sent a $24 off coupon, so that their 1GB 25% core becomes $8.40/year.

      • It's unclear whether I'm expected to upload new push-ups next year.
      • It's also unclear whether I'm going to keep that location, because I recently figured out Dallas is not in Florida.
    • Evolution Host gave 2GB and 2 dedicated cores, but I need to write reviews on HostAdvice and such, twice a year.

      • They have Singapore too but out of stock.

    Either way, I need to finish the current system and measure performance, before adding more nodes or moving things around.
    My Tokyo server (Oracle Cloud) isn't online yet, so it's too early to talk about Singapore.

  • @yoursunny said:
    I'm itching for Singapore because I figured Tokyo may not serve India and Vietnam well, according to how the network looks like on Submarine Cable Map.

    Sorry, I'm confused...
    If I may ask, why do you think OCI @ Tokyo might be bad for Vietnam? The way I see the map, there are several cables connecting the two... As for India, I guess it's because there's only one direct cable linking India to Tokyo? (Or perhaps, because you expect Munich to have a slightly better connection to India?)

  • @chimichurri said:

    @yoursunny said:
    I'm itching for Singapore because I figured Tokyo may not serve India and Vietnam well, according to how the network looks like on Submarine Cable Map.

    Sorry, I'm confused...
    If I may ask, why do you think OCI @ Tokyo might be bad for Vietnam? The way I see the map, there are several cables connecting the two... As for India, I guess it's because there's only one direct cable linking India to Tokyo? (Or perhaps, because you expect Munich to have a slightly better connection to India?)

    In my March push-ups report "The Case of an Asian NDN-QUIC Gateway" section, I compared the video resolution in China and India, when they are served over QUIC from either Amsterdam (AMS) or Tokyo (NRT).
    My measurements indicate that Indian viewers experienced slightly worse video quality from NRT than from AMS.

    I checked two of India's largest broadband providers, Reliance Jio and Airtel, using looking glass.
    Both have lower RTT to AMS than NRT.
    The worst part: Airtel to NRT is transiting through London.

    I'm too stupid for AMS and no longer have that server.
    If Munich (MUC) is too bad, I can consider Singapore or Hong Kong or Mumbai.


    Named Data Networking improves content delivery through in-memory caching.
    There's only one (or two) node that runs a repository and has all the video segments on disk.
    These video segments are packetized, encrypted, and carry signatures of the content provider, so that their authenticity can be verified without having to trust the caching nodes.

    All other nodes can fetch content from nearby nodes or the origin repository, and cache packets in memory.
    Disk caching is possible, but requires dedicated NVMe drives with high DWPD that nobody can afford.

    I'm exploring how much memory I need to achieve acceptable video quality.
    If 256MB would suffice, I'll be able to afford a lot more nodes.

    Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • edited April 28

    @yoursunny said:
    I checked two of India's largest broadband providers, Reliance Jio and Airtel, using looking glass.
    Both have lower RTT to AMS than NRT.
    The worst part: Airtel to NRT is transiting through London.

    O_o (So it wasn't really about the cables after all..)
    Geographically, I'm probably more TYO/HND than NRT, but still, this got me interested, and having run the test to my current IP address, it turns out that in my case too, Airtel transits via London (-> New York -> Chicago -> San Jose - assuming that these stand for what I think they do - at least latency-wise, it does add up since the total is really close to your results, i.e. around 355ms ) - what the... (snippet from tracerouting my IP from their LG follows)

    3  ldn-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.122.188)  240.411 ms  240.758 ms ldn-bb4-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.120.238)  237.433 ms
         MPLS Label=39527 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=1
     4  nyk-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.112.244)  239.619 ms nyk-bb2-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.113.20)  242.009 ms  243.675 ms
         MPLS Label=24288 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=1
     5  chi-b23-link.ip.twelve99.net (80.91.246.162)  243.428 ms sjo-b23-link.ip.twelve99.net (62.115.118.111)  260.566 ms chi-b23-link.ip.twelve99.net (80.91.246.162)  243.734 ms
    

    So I guess the conclusion here is, geographical distance doesn't necessarily mean better speeds, if your ISP is a cheap bastard skimping on transit..? ><""" (and so, in case there's no CDN of sorts - or perhaps some kind oflatency-based routing coupled with a lot of site mirrors worldwide - visitors to a given website might end up having a bad experience i.e. higher load times, or, in your case, a lower video resolution...orz)

Sign In or Register to comment.