Adguard - DNS Amplification Issues - HELP ( SOS )

edited May 2021 in Technical

Dear Les-bians,

Greeting, Hope Everyone is safe and sound in good shape.
\

Well, Recently I installed a Adguard + Wireguard on a VPS Server. To my suprise am getting New Spam Clients from China and Some other Countries.

Especaillay pizzaseo .com& other clients.

So, kindly say how to stop these, and let me get to know that what i have messed up.

Comments

• @Freek may be able to help?

Thanked by (2)deepak_leb Freek
  • How it works?

Email address get from whois domain?

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @youandri said:
    How it works?

Not Spam emails but Spam clients.
    Client(s) who got the IP Address of new DNS server and started using it for DDoS.

Thanked by (2)deepak_leb youandri
  • Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.
    No amplification attack possible.

Thanked by (2)_MS_ deepak_leb

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• You mean AdGuard home right? The below works if you are only using AdGuard home to serve your VPS and WireGuard clients.

Under Settings | DNS settings, scroll down to the Access Control fields at the bottom. Under allowed clients, enter in ip ranges to whitelist. For example, I have whitelisted my VPS and wireguard clients in the 10.9.0.0/24 range.
    10.9.0.0/24

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @Freek is the DNS Master

• edited May 2021

Acl local private ip only

Thanked by (2)deepak_leb vimalware
  • MS said:

@youandri said:
    How it works?

Not Spam emails but Spam clients.
    Client(s) who got the IP Address of new DNS server and started using it for DDoS.

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

Could you elaborate & PM me ?

• @isunbejo said:
    Acl local private ip only

Need some detailed description, since am not much into these things

• @StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

Will contact him

• @Mr_Tom said:
    @Freek may be able to help?

Thank you. Will get back to him

• @jnraptor said:
    You mean AdGuard home right? The below works if you are only using AdGuard home to serve your VPS and WireGuard clients.

Under Settings | DNS settings, scroll down to the Access Control fields at the bottom. Under allowed clients, enter in ip ranges to whitelist. For example, I have whitelisted my VPS and wireguard clients in the 10.9.0.0/24 range.
    10.9.0.0/24

Let me check on to it & pm you

• edited May 2021

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

Thanks for the mention :)

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

This will indeed fix your problems, @deepak_leb .But if you absolutely must DNS over UDP, you can try the following:

But I do wonder; is AdGuard listening on the correct interface? Since it shouldn't be listening on your public IP if you use WireGuard to connect...

• @Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

This will indeed fix your problems, @deepak_leb .But if you absolutely must DNS over UDP, you can try the following:

But I do wonder; is AdGuard listening on the correct interface? Since it shouldn't be listening on your public IP if you use WireGuard to connect...

Yes you might be 100% correct as probably in listening interface all interfaces were selected instead of only wireguard interface . Saw the same issue when i did this exact mistake . Once Wireguard interface is selected their are no unknown clients

• @kuduku said:

@Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

Yes you might be 100% correct as probably in listening interface all interfaces were selected instead of only wireguard interface . Saw the same issue when i did this exact mistake . Once Wireguard interface is selected their are no unknown clients

I only selected eth0 Wireguard interface alone

• @deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

eth0 should be the NIC and wg0 as wireguard interface or whatever name was given for listening interface

• @kuduku said:

@deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

eth0 should be the NIC and wg0 as wireguard interface or whatever name was given for listening interface

Any guides pls

• @deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

Any guides pls

No guide required . Just select wg0 in listen interface when you setup Adguard

Thanked by (3)deepak_leb Freek Ouji
  • Add the domain in disallowed domains and limit the rate limit for example 3 per second

Action and Reaction in history

• edited May 2021

@kuduku said:

@deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@deepak_leb said:

@kuduku said:

@Freek said:

@StuderSolutions said:
    @Freek is the DNS Master

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said:
    Disable DNS over UDP.
    Enable DNS over TLS.

Any guides pls

No guide required . Just select wg0 in listen interface when you setup Adguard

But I couldnt get the wg0. On interfaces, am getting only eth0 and l0 interfaces

• Whats is your wireguard interface ? Select that interface on Adguard setup page , listen interface

• @kuduku said:
    Whats is your wireguard interface ? Select that interface on Adguard setup page , listen interface

Will pm u

• Or maybe you can stop setting up your own DNS server and use 94.140.14.14 / 94.140.15.15 instead

• Everything has been sorted out. Thank all for your time 🙂

• @deepak_leb said:
    Everything has been sorted out. Thank all for your time 🙂

Write a tutorial for LES blog :).

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @deepak_leb said:

Please share how you solved your issue. Like I told you via PM; a forum is to share knowledge, not to keep it secret in private messages.

• @Freek said:

@deepak_leb said:

Please share how you solved your issue. Like I told you via PM; a forum is to share knowledge, not to keep it secret in private messages.

🥺 Nothing special, Before Installating the wireguard, I simply installed the Adguard, that's in DNS Interface I haven't got the wireguard WgO interface.

Besides I followed the NAT Vps Guide blindly though I don't use that NAT VPS

• So I guess OP replicated the setup I use.

1) have the adguard/pihole/ANY_dnsserver listen exclusively on wg0 (wireguard nic)
    2) use wireguard tunnel for all internet traffic and the private wg0 ip for dns-nameserver value .

The dns bots will move on.

• @vimalware said:
    So I guess OP replicated the setup I use.

1) have the adguard/pihole/ANY_dnsserver listen exclusively on wg0 (wireguard nic)
    2) use wireguard tunnel for all internet traffic and the private wg0 ip for dns-nameserver value .

@vimalware said:
    So I guess OP replicated the setup I use.

Yep