Clouding.io | Benchmarks and first impressions

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited August 2 in General

Today I gave Clouding.io a try. They are based in Barcelona, Spain and are yet another cloud hosting provider. I have credits at Vultr lying around and also at Lunanode. I like having different cloud providers at my disposal to quickly test various setups or projects. Not yet sure if I will use Clouding more frequently from now on, but you get 5€ worth of credits for signing up and it's an Europe-based Cloud Provider so enough reason to check them out :)

While I am writing this YABS and Serverscope IO bench are running on my 1vCore, 2GB RAM Ubuntu 20.xx box ;)

It is worth noting the only available location seems to be Barcelona, Spain.
The VM creation is quite straight-forward but a bit lacking in flexibility as I can only select "2 or 4GB RAM for each vCore". Cheapest plan seems to come to 3€/mo for 0,5 vCore and 1GB RAM. Honestly, with this type of services I don't look much at the monthly cost since it is usually only something I use for spinning up a machine and try out some stuff. What is really cool is that they have "Ubuntu Desktop" as an option and you can get a Windows 2019 server from 7,50€/mo (0.5 vCore, so rather you are looking at the next level of 1vCore with 12,50€/mo) which respectively comes to 0,01xx€/h and 0,017xx€/h where Vultr charges minimum of 20€/mo and respectively 0,03xx€/h (for 1 CPU, 2GB RAM, 55GB SSD) which is more.
If you are selecting 1vCore, 2GB RAM and 55GB SSD at Clouding with Windows that comes to 15,50€/mo or 0,021xx€/h. Anyway, Vultr has lots of other perks so this is not meant to be a thorough comparison. The mentioned prices are excl VAT which you can tick yourself during the order process (neat). With VAT that'd be 18,45€/mo or 0,025xxx€/h for the mentioned Windows server which is very close to what Vultr charges. For your Windows VM, you can choose between "Desktop" 2019 or "Server" 2003-2019. Windows server was already activated when I connected to it.

They do have some Apps to choose from. Not as much as their competitors, but a fair bunch:

I was quite surprised to find HestiaCP being one of the 3 control panels available! @Falzo is HestiaCP partnering with Clouding poke poke ;)

Here is a short video showing all possible setup options:

There are Snapshots, Backups, SSH-Keys and Firewalls. They have a "default" Firewall but you can also create your own from the panel.

There is a free DNS service and also a PTR-record option available.

When selecting the running VM I have the following options available:

The overview and management options are quite decent, albeit not as advanced as other competitors offer. Statistics show a CPU, RAM, BW usage etc.

Backups can be enabled and preferred intervals can be selected:

Other observations:

In their "features" section on their website they speak of 100% uptime due to their redundant setu and explain in more detail how they can react if one hypervisor goes down. What I like is that they also have phone support available and advanced support if needed. Neat! :) Again, not saying other providers don't offer this, but it is still a fact I like.

Benchmarks:

YABS:

Serverscope: https://serverscope.io/trials/vWmO

Final thoughts:

I like to have yet another European cloud provider on my list and some of the features (Ubuntu Desktop, cheaper Windows servers, 100% uptime and phone support) are really nice to have. Comparing them to Vultr, DO or Lunanode would probably be unfair, though, as they don't have much on them. If they continue to expand and improve I would be very interested in seeing what they are looking like in a couple more years time.

Have a wonderful day, everyone :)

Ympker

Thanked by (3)Chievo Mason beagle

Comments

  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

    wow how did they custom name their CPU model

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @cybertech said:
    wow how did they custom name their CPU model

    Good question :O

  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Hosting ProviderOG

    @cybertech said: wow how did they custom name their CPU model

    Dunno what they're using but on proxmox you can use this: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/cpu-models.conf.5.html

    Thanked by (3)Ympker cybertech uptime

    VM Specialist - Custom, managed and storage VM solutions. | Latest Offers

  • @Ympker cross-posting spree again... :-P

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • That CPU similar to EPYC result, lower than Ryzen, pretty good..

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @Falzo said:
    @Ympker cross-posting spree again... :-P

    Alright, I should really write a script to do the cross-posting for me😅

  • edited August 2

    @Ympker said:
    In their "features" section on their website they speak of 100% uptime due to their redundant setup and explain in more detail how they can react if one hypervisor goes down.
    (...)
    I like to have yet another European cloud provider on my list and some of the features (Ubuntu Desktop, cheaper Windows servers,100% uptime

    AFAIK, as far as European providers present in Spain go, there's also Upcloud, and Ionos (and OVH soon?).. but 100% uptime? Only if you're lucky ;)

    Thus, through this agreement, we are committed to offer a 99.95% actual availability of the connectivity service

    They only said their equipment is fully redundant, and as for uptime, slightly less (arguably, still a lot given the price)

    Comparing them to Vultr, DO or Lunanode would probably be unfair, though, as they don't have much on them. If they continue to expand and improve I would be very interested in seeing what they are looking like in a couple more years time.

    This... Terraform support is missing too.. :( With the upcoming Hetzner price hike the only use case I think might be interesting for now would be playing around (in case an IPv4 is needed), since their hourly rate is really low ;)

    Last but not least (rant): I wonder what people from places like Valencia, Mexico or Ireland think after seeing this... ;>

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @chimichurri said:

    @Ympker said:
    In their "features" section on their website they speak of 100% uptime due to their redundant setup and explain in more detail how they can react if one hypervisor goes down.
    (...)
    I like to have yet another European cloud provider on my list and some of the features (Ubuntu Desktop, cheaper Windows servers,100% uptime

    AFAIK, as far as European providers present in Spain go, there's also Upcloud, and Ionos (and OVH soon?).. but 100% uptime? Only if you're lucky ;)

    Thus, through this agreement, we are committed to offer a 99.95% actual availability of the connectivity service

    They only said their equipment is fully redundant, and as for uptime, slightly less (arguably, still a lot given the price)

    Comparing them to Vultr, DO or Lunanode would probably be unfair, though, as they don't have much on them. If they continue to expand and improve I would be very interested in seeing what they are looking like in a couple more years time.

    This... Terraform support is missing too.. :( With the upcoming Hetzner price hike the only use case I think might be interesting for now would be playing around (in case a IPv4 is needed), since their hourly rate is really low ;)

    Last but not least (rant): I wonder what people from places like Valencia, Mexico or Ireland think after seeing this... ;>

    Oops, yeah I was fixed on that 100% redundant. Read that too fast :P

    I think it could be an affordable monthly option for VPS in Spain (I believe Ginernet is more expensive but also prem), or cheap hourly like you said :open_mouth:

    About the country flags: Oops. That's gonna hurt. I am in Valencia rn.

    Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • Thank you for the review, this one on my checklist to try too.

    Can you plan your next journey on Kamatera?

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @Dazzle said:
    Thank you for the review, this one on my checklist to try too.

    Can you plan your next journey on Kamatera?

    You are welcome :) Sorry, probably not gonna happen any time soon :/

    Thanked by (1)Dazzle
Sign In or Register to comment.