Another HostMantis Change

Just noticed this:

https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/153/Now-using-CloudLinux-Reseller-Limits.html

Correct me if I am wrong for those that have likely paid more attention.

The resources offered used to apply to each individual account so they have now changed that to the resources offered are shared between all accounts?

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited September 2021

Please see: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/3346/hostmantis-enterprise-reseller-hosting/p1

This has already been discussed over there ;)

And yes, it's just like you said. I asked them to downgrade my acc from reseller entry to shared entry since it was cheaper and atm I only have one cPanel acc with them only anway. I was keeping the reseller in case one day I would create some more cPanel accounts again; however, with all resources shared now, I'll probably just leave it at that and move my other stuff elsewhere.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Ympker said: And yes, it's just like you said

Thanks, had performance issues and couldn't initially understand why. That's them dumped then! Will migrate away this week.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Amitz

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: And yes, it's just like you said

Thanks, had performance issues and couldn't initially understand why. That's them dumped then! Will migrate away this week.

Too many changes in too little time. Also too many drastic changes. I mean, I only had 1 cPanel left there. But it was a Reseller plan. Imagine you had 20+ clients on there relying on the old limits. I'd also make the move in that case for sure. Moved most of my other stuff over to MyW from Mike. I don't expect 24/7 service, but performance and resources allocated are stable over there.

Thanked by (2)Lee Amitz
  • @Ympker said: Too many changes in too little time. Also too many drastic changes.

Indeed. I gave them the benefit of the doubt a couple of times now but my goodwill has run out. To be honest, I just see the cPanel price hike in January bringing another last-minute increase to their plans. Really don't trust them now.

They didn't even email out to tell me (assuming everyone) that they made this change which is really poor.

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Ympker Amitz
  • @Ympker said:

@Lee said:

Too many changes in too little time. Also too many drastic changes. I mean, I only had 1 cPanel left there. But it was a Reseller plan. Imagine you had 20+ clients on there relying on the old limits. I'd also make the move in that case for sure. Moved most of my other stuff over to MyW from Mike. I don't expect 24/7 service, but performance and resources allocated are stable over there.

Well that's me (having 20 clients relying on the old limits), and i still don't have the confidence to move them to MyW (i also have a res account there).

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Lee said:
    To be honest, I just see the cPanel price hike in January bringing another last-minute increase to their plans. Really don't trust them now.

Meanwhile HostMantis regarding cPanel price increase at WHT:
    HostMantis cPanel price increase WHT

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • I had thought the last changes had set them up to deal with anticipated future price increases that we all knew were coming. Seems unlikely. Again, I am not against paying more for good service so I can keep cPanel for the wider convenience but not when they think it is ok to just spring every change on clients. They are just not learning anything on the communication front.

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Ympker Amitz
    edited September 2021

@asaljeplak said:

@Ympker said:

@Lee said:

Well that's me (having 20 clients relying on the old limits), and i still don't have the confidence to move them to MyW (i also have a res account there).

Ouch, that sux :/ Say what you will, but I trust @MikePT more than I trust HM and to the extent that I am sure that Mike would tell us in time if he was about to discontinue/close MyW so we can move our data. Hetzner servers are reliable, too :)

Thanked by (1)asaljeplak
  • Lee:

HostMantis:

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited September 2021

@Lee said:
    I had thought the last changes had set them up to deal with anticipated future price increases that we all knew were coming. Seems unlikely. Again, I am not against paying more for good service so I can keep cPanel for the wider convenience but not when they think it is ok to just spring every change on clients. They are just not learning anything on the communication front.

I find it almost hilarious. :)
    Thinking of coining a term - doing an "AlphaRacks" is for going bust, with the money, then re-emerging as a "new, clean company."
    Doing a "HostMantis" is making unexpected, unannounced drastic changes of pricing and resource policy on a yearly basis. Only - I've never seen anything like that.

When doing business, I try to take a step back and keep a cool head.

Objectively, this latest change makes their non-Enterprise reseller hosting packages twice as expensive - since you practically have to move to a matching Enterprise reseller hosting package (or change the provider). Because of the drastic effective resource cuts, this one "hits you" even before your subscription renewal term is due!

On the upside, for all the testing I did so far (will publish the latest results in a few days, when I gather more data), their Enterprise Reseller hosting is more powerful, yet still cheaper compared to Veerotech RS1 for example (a high-quality reseller hosting provider that I've used).

But you do have to keep an eye on it and charge more if a client uses a lot of the allotted resources on a regular basis (while Veerotech lets you just go 100% full-time, at least from what I could gather).

So it's a bit like a "Glass-cannon" (does anyone else like FRP? :) ).

It seems more suitable for developers, and people who charge for and do website maintenance, but quite risky for the people who want to "play" hosting providers and really just re-sell hosting.

Another thing that makes it risky for that use is their frequent changes - not just in pricing, as is clearly the case now.
    Veerotech hiked their prices also, not by a little, but never this drastic (on the other hand, to be fair, they've been two to three times more expensive from the start).

I just make sure to be ready to move any time and don't expect any provider to keep their pricing or service quality. If they keep at least one of those (HostMantis and Veerotech have so far, for all I know), that's not too bad.

I'm always on the lookout for a more budget solution, with similar service quality.

Thanked by (4)Lee _MS_ Amitz asaljeplak

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Which provider is comparable to Hostmantis?

I mean…. What are the options in terms of service , specs, locations and price band?

Not all boxes need to tick

Any thoughts?

@vyas said:
    Which provider is comparable to Hostmantis?

I mean…. What are the options in terms of service , specs, locations and price band?

Not all boxes need to tick

Any thoughts?

I always thought Ramnode did a great job. Stellar performance, reliability and good support :)
    Not as high limits as HM, but I never noticed bad performance.

https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=4160

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • even after they got acquired?

@vyas said:
    even after they got acquired?

I think at that point I was no longer a customer. I haven't heard people complaining about performance after the transition, though.

• The only real reason I used HostManits is that they provided the ability for your own off-site backups. If I can't replace that, which so far appears unlikely I will just use a VPS and install Jetbackup myself.

Does anyone know of any other providers that allow you to create your own backup destination? I would take a cPanel or DA provider but would prefer cPanel.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Lee said:
    The only real reason I used HostManits is that they provided the ability for your own off-site backups. If I can't replace that, which so far appears unlikely I will just use a VPS and install Jetbackup myself.

Does anyone know of any other providers that allow you to create your own backup destination? I would take a cPanel or DA provider but would prefer cPanel.

I think MyW from @MikePT allows you to set remote backup location in DA iirc.

Thanked by (1)Lee
    edited September 2021

...> @Lee said:

The only real reason I used HostManits is that they provided the ability for your own off-site backups. If I can't replace that, which so far appears unlikely I will just use a VPS and install Jetbackup myself.

DA has a built-in automated backup feature. It works with MyW hosting.

cPanel can also be configured for automated backups (unless the provider explicitly forbids that).

In my experience, as long as you don't abuse it (once per week is usually fine) - you're OK.

JetBackup makes messy backup file structure (only JetBackup can read it) - I don't feel very comfortable with that.

Thanked by (1)jcn50

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• LeeLee OG
    edited September 2021

@bikegremlin said: DA has a built-in automated backup feature. It works with MyW hosting.

To be clear, I am referring to the ability that HostMantis provides that allows you to use S3 or another cloud option in Panel and automate. Neither DA nor cPanel has that ability baked in. Jetbackup has that but only if the provider lets you use it. Most don't.

@bikegremlin said: JetBackup makes messy backup file structure (only JetBackup can read it) - I don't feel very comfortable with that.

I can read and access all the files fine without reliance on Jetbackup.

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: DA has a built-in automated backup feature. It works with MyW hosting.

To be clear, I am referring to the ability that HostMantis provides that allows you to use S3 or another cloud option in Panel and automate. Neither DA nor cPanel has that ability baked in. Jetbackup has that but only if the provider lets you use it. Most don't.

That is true, and sad. I've been facing the same problem and decided to (finally) start paying for the Hetzner Storage Box.
    It is more expensive than S3 (and Backblaze B2), but it works like a charm, and I couldn't find another way to backup cPanel (and DirectAdmin) so that I can easily read the backups without relying on JetBackup.

@bikegremlin said: JetBackup makes messy backup file structure (only JetBackup can read it) - I don't feel very comfortable with that.

I can read and access all the files fine without reliance on Jetbackup.

On DA? If yes - I would add: "for now," at least based on their development plans.

• I have too many systems, sometimes I need the simplest solution which does not include having yet another box just for storage.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • LeeLee OG
    edited September 2021

Also, reading the thread on WHT about the cPanel price increase which HM has been commenting on, they seem to all but confirmed they are going to increase pricing again. So have a double boot in the bollocks which they will likely wait until the very last second to do it.

Thanked by (3)vyas Ympker nickelodeon
  • @Lee said:

Just want to add, as a customer of HM and MyW, the ability to backup on other cloud (GDrive for me) is also available on MYW by using Softaculous

Thanked by (2)Ympker Lee
  • Im waiting Directadmin Borg complete support[1]... Should be better than Jetbackup

[1] https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2258

• any other provider who can provide a Singapore location? I have 5 servers (DA) with them even I also noticed slow performance did not know they made this change silently

• @wordpress said:
    any other provider who can provide a Singapore location? I have 5 servers (DA) with them even I also noticed slow performance did not know they made this change silently

@seriesn Nexus Bytes also offered SGP starting from $3

• edited September 2021

@asaljeplak said: @seriesn Nexus Bytes also offered SGP starting from $3

>
    did not find on website

edit : i swear i was only seeing NY location before refreshing the page found it now

• @wordpress said:
    any other provider who can provide a Singapore location? I have 5 servers (DA) with them even I also noticed slow performance did not know they made this change silently

Servers …
    GreencloudVPS
    Nexusbytes

Or
    If you have 5 servers you might want to take a look at dedi @shockhosting

Thanked by (1)ShockHosting
  • Plesk can do cloud back'ups. xD

so say we all

• I'm also looking for an alternative for them now. What can you suggest in NA, preferably in the west for reseller hosting using DirectAdmin?

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:

I will set custom backup destination on request but not let it be managed on the client end. But I don't do reseller hosting.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.