Another HostMantis Change

2»

Comments

• @bikegremlin said: JetBackup makes messy backup file structure

actually the new Jetbackup 5 seems cool. Right now Racknerd implemented it. And i tested it to restore entire/full backup of my 237 MB wordpress site from their Wasabi hot storage v/s the regular storage on external server. Jetbackup 5 could retrieve & restore the full backup in just 9 seconds. I'll writing a special review about it later when I test large files retrieval and restoring with Wasabi + Jetbackup.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @nickelodeon said: actually the new Jetbackup 5 seems cool. Right now Racknerd implemented it. And i tested it to restore entire/full backup of my 237 MB wordpress site from their Wasabi hot storage v/s the regular storage on external server. Jetbackup 5 could retrieve & restore the full backup in just 9 seconds. I'll writing a special review about it later when I test large files retrieval and restoring with Wasabi + Jetbackup.

The point isn't about restoring, it is about your own off-site backups and retrieval from the Jetbackup archive itself.

• @Lee said: it is about your own off-site backups and retrieval from the Jetbackup archive itself.

I'll be connecting with s3 in US East, and B2 instance and check how jetbackup 5 retrieves. I'm quite confident that it can as fast as it could than the traditional method.

• LeeLee OG
    edited October 2021

@nickelodeon said: I'll be connecting with s3 in US East, and B2 instance and check how jetbackup 5 retrieves. I'm quite confident that it can as fast as it could than the traditional method.

Again not in question. To be clear, it is about the structure of the archive itself and accessing the files for other purposes or restore to other panels. How Jetbackup functions within itself is fine regardless of the location of the archives, don't think anyone is disputing that.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@nickelodeon said:

@bikegremlin said: JetBackup makes messy backup file structure

actually the new Jetbackup 5 seems cool. Right now Racknerd implemented it. And i tested it to restore entire/full backup of my 237 MB wordpress site from their Wasabi hot storage v/s the regular storage on external server. Jetbackup 5 could retrieve & restore the full backup in just 9 seconds. I'll writing a special review about it later when I test large files retrieval and restoring with Wasabi + Jetbackup.

It does a great job.
    I love being able to one-click restore a whole account to one of the previous days/weeks backed-up stages.

The problem I have with it is restoring it with another provider, on another server (or in my local environment). That requires JetBackup installed for their cPanel backups, and from what I could gather, they plan on implementing that same way of writing backups for DirectAdmin, it's only a matter of time.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• As I said in another post, they must be good if they keep doing price and spec changes and customers stay there!? Or their customers can't be bothered to move. Also, I sense out a buyout; it looks like they are making it look attractive. They had enough of cPanel eating their profits?

HostXNow | Since 2009 - London, United Kingdom
    Enterprise Reseller Hosting • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Backups • cPanel
  • @bikegremlin said: That requires JetBackup installed for their cPanel backups, and from what I could gather, they plan on implementing that same way of writing backups for DirectAdmin, it's only a matter of time.

Hello,

I would like to just clarify that JetBackup 5's new Backup Structure is only used for destinations that use the brand new Jetindex engine, S3 Compatible Destinations in this case. This way of writing backups is available on all supported panels/paneless environments of JetBackup 5 when using the S3 Compatible Destination. However, if you use the Local and/or SSH Destination Plugins for your backups, you will find that the backups are stored on the destination in a standard file structure that is accessible without dependency on JetBackup software.

The new structure allows JetBackup to perform more efficient Incremental Backups to the destination by handling all of the indexing locally and much more. Although there are plans to create new Local and SSH Destination Plugins that utilize this new structure, JetBackup 5 will continue to support the Rsync Based Local and SSH Destinations which have the standard File Structure. I hope everyone can find this information helpful.

Thank you,
    JetApps Team

@JetApps said:

@bikegremlin said: That requires JetBackup installed for their cPanel backups, and from what I could gather, they plan on implementing that same way of writing backups for DirectAdmin, it's only a matter of time.

Hello,

I would like to just clarify that JetBackup 5's new Backup Structure is only used for destinations that use the brand new Jetindex engine, S3 Compatible Destinations in this case. This way of writing backups is available on all supported panels/paneless environments of JetBackup 5 when using the S3 Compatible Destination. However, if you use the Local and/or SSH Destination Plugins for your backups, you will find that the backups are stored on the destination in a standard file structure that is accessible without dependency on JetBackup software.

The new structure allows JetBackup to perform more efficient Incremental Backups to the destination by handling all of the indexing locally and much more. Although there are plans to create new Local and SSH Destination Plugins that utilize this new structure, JetBackup 5 will continue to support the Rsync Based Local and SSH Destinations which have the standard File Structure. I hope everyone can find this information helpful.

Thank you,
    JetApps Team

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. :) Just to confirm:

Can I expect the SSH backups to remain with the "normal" file structure in the following few years?
    Or is that planned for a change?
    Because I understood it's going to be changed, and it's only a matter of time.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said: Can I expect the SSH backups to remain with the "normal" file structure in the following few years?

JetBackup 5 will continue to support SSH Backups with the "normal" file structure. Since JetBackup 5 uses Destination Plugins, we are able to create an entirely separate SSH Destination Plugin that will use the new Backup Structure and leave the original SSH Plugin with the "normal" file structure as is.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@JetApps said:

@bikegremlin said: Can I expect the SSH backups to remain with the "normal" file structure in the following few years?

JetBackup 5 will continue to support SSH Backups with the "normal" file structure. Since JetBackup 5 uses Destination Plugins, we are able to create an entirely separate SSH Destination Plugin that will use the new Backup Structure and leave the original SSH Plugin with the "normal" file structure as is.

Like my files the other day, my faith in JetBackup has been restored. :)

Thanked by (3)webcraft Ympker JetApps