Hetzner introduces MAC Mini

Seems like they want to get part of the cake for themselfs.
It can be super cool for app devs :)
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-apple

Comments

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited October 19

    For the specs and price offered, one can buy a brand new Mac Mini and keep it for next 6 or 7 years. Maybe there is a market for a Mac Mini "VPS" but I do not get it. Even for short term project (say 3 to 4 months) the setup fees make the cost too high.

  • @vyas said:
    For the specs one can buy a brand new Mac Mini and keep it for next 6 or 7 years. Maybe there is a market for a Mac Mini "VPS" but I do not get it.

    apple related development (apps etc)

  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Hosting ProviderOG

    They look cool, and the idea of having one seems quite cool but I can't justify it.

    VM Specialist - Custom, managed and storage VM solutions.

  • Well, there are no big demand for mac vps & ios system. But there are websites who offer it. It can be a good niche for them since customers will get latest available hardware.
    If I would want to buy it, for sure only due to Final Cut, it works on macos and it's awesome

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    Does the Hetzner VPs include Final Cut license?

  • @vyas said:
    Does the Hetzner VPs include Final Cut license?

    Ofcourse not, only server

    Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • Finally another player in this space. This will be good for CI/CD or dev machine.

    Someone maybe complaint it too expensive, but from business perspective if something goes wrong it can be replaced in few minutes

  • edited October 19

    @hey said:
    Finally another player in this space. This will be good for CI/CD or dev machine.
    Someone maybe complaint it too expensive, but from business perspective if something goes wrong it can be replaced in few minutes

    My business private perspective is obviously different than yours - isn't AX41 a better deal? More RAM, more + faster (NVM and not SSD) disk space, and the CPU seems to be about the same, for less money - I'm really curious, why would you choose a Mac like this for CI/CD? (unless you specifically need macOS for development...?)

    In any case, at least they are cheaper than Scaleway, although OTOH, there's no hourly billing available

  • deankdeank OGOfficial Troll

    My preconception is that money is just numbers for Apple users, so I am surprised that some here are talking about costs.

    The Amitz day is October 21. ♻ I call people by their soulname.

  • @chimichurri said:
    I'm really curious, why would you choose a Mac like this for CI/CD? (unless you specifically need macOS for development...?)

    You answered it yourself 🙂
    Everything else should use linux-based

    Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • edited October 21

    I'm starting to actually consider the new Pro. Wait for pricing.

    Edit : NVM. I'll use potato pc.

  • I believe there could be a need for this. I believe "Apple developers" are pretty much stuck on MacOS for some of the work they need to do to develop Apps.

  • @Groentjuh said:
    I believe there could be a need for this. I believe "Apple developers" are pretty much stuck on MacOS for some of the work they need to do to develop Apps.

    As a developer, I own a M1 macbook myself, and my company have more than one mac machine per human being. Renting is just not cost-effective.

    Be aware or Be next

Sign In or Register to comment.