Hosting business name, can't decide.

edited December 2019 in General

Maybe you good folks here can help me to decide which domain name would be good for a hosting business. I already have some of these domains registered. Not sure which one would make a good hosting business name or should I just try to think of something else? Maybe y'all have a great suggestion. Going to try and make it a poll. My first time, so bear with me. The services will be just shared hosting and reselling vps servers. Thanks for your time!

Which do you think would make a good hosting business name.
  1. Please choose one37 votes
    1. tredaxa.com
      13.51%
    2. tredaxa.net
        5.41%
    3. tredaxaservers.com
        0.00%
    4. tredaxahosting.com
        2.70%
    5. clearwillow.com
        8.11%
    6. clearwillowhosting.com
        0.00%
    7. Something totally different
      70.27%
«1

Comments

  • clearwillow sounds like a care-home kinda thing

    Thanked by (5)WSS MikeA vyas Wolveix pr0lz
  • edited December 2019

    I think this needs a poll.

    Clear Willow is probably the easiest to recognize immediately.

  • @FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    I think this needs a poll.

    Poll made!

  • seriesnseriesn Hosting ProviderOG

    @geekyhillbilly said:
    Maybe you good folks here can help me to decide which domain name would be good for a hosting business. I already have some of these domains registered. Not sure which one would make a good hosting business name or should I just try to think of something else? Maybe y'all have a great suggestion. Going to try and make it a poll. My first time, so bear with me. The services will be just shared hosting and reselling vps servers. Thanks for your time!

    Boss, please take this as constructive criticism. This is your business, your brand, your dream, your idea. Only you get to choose and decide what your business name should he and what would it represent. You get to choose what your brand image should look like and only you get to make the decisions because no one else knows what's your business plan and focus is.

    It could be JoesVPs or SuperDuperUltraMegahosting. But that is the first step. If you can't decide that or don't have an answer to that question, you are not ready for it yet. Have a proper vision and start there.

  • deankdeank OGOfficial Troll
    edited December 2019

    The best hostnames are ...

    Amitzhost
    Popohost
    Nighhost

    You may not pick it but google or some other web scrapper will pick these up and some poor sod will use it.

    The Amitz day is October 21. ||| I call people by their soulname. ||| I do not click links.

  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

    @FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    I think this needs a poll.

    Clear Willow is probably the easiest to recognize immediately.

    I read it as "dear" willow - I need glasses but still just a bit ... ironic?

    @geekyhillbilly I dunno, all of these seem okay but not great - maybe if you're asking here then that should tell you in your heart of hearts you know you can still do better?

    I think most important aspect to look for may be: "easily memorable"

    This is especially true for coined names - such as tredaxa (? - I am assuming this is just a techie-sounding brandname)

    I'm of the opinion that all other things being equal, shorter is better, though all other things are seldom actually equal, ammirite?.

    Your username here is a good example of poetry and personality - it resonates and stands out a bit, in a good way I think

    while you might feel a bit more reserved or concerned about presenting a serious image for business, ultimately the quality of your service will carry the most weight - still, a strong brand name could help kickstart that just a bit.

    I am vaguely aware of professional consultancies, software, textbooks, and so on dedicated to the art and science of branding gobbledygook. Some of that may be useful to know about but ... I think you can DIY it - maybe play around with some techname and/or business buzzword generator software for ideas until you either get all that nonsense out of your system and/or (long shot) maybe find something you really like anyway.

    and that's probably actually the most important thing - something you really dig. You'll know it when you find it. Maybe ask for a second/third/fourth opinion and discover that no one can talk you out of it anyway ... then that's the one. (Tredaxa.com ...?) :sunglasses:

    Thanked by (1)vyas
  • To me, something short, catchy and easy to remember.

    So from your list, I would go for Tredaxa.

    Thanked by (1)uptime
  • "easy to remember" - axemurderhost

  • qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2019

    DefinitelyNotAnotherColoCrossingDeadpoolHost.com

    I kid, but yeah, I would go for the Tredaxa name of those choices you listed.

  • WSSWSS Retired

    AlphaSwamplandSupremeShoeCircle

    Thanked by (1)vimalware

    My pronouns are asshole/asshole/asshole. I will give you the same courtesy.

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

    Fuxler - Hosting you can't deny

  • @uptime said:

    @FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    I think this needs a poll.

    Clear Willow is probably the easiest to recognize immediately.

    I read it as "dear" willow - I need glasses but still just a bit ... ironic?

    @geekyhillbilly I dunno, all of these seem okay but not great - maybe if you're asking here then that should tell you in your heart of hearts you know you can still do better?

    I think most important aspect to look for may be: "easily memorable"

    This is especially true for coined names - such as tredaxa (? - I am assuming this is just a techie-sounding brandname)

    I'm of the opinion that all other things being equal, shorter is better, though all other things are seldom actually equal, ammirite?.

    Your username here is a good example of poetry and personality - it resonates and stands out a bit, in a good way I think

    while you might feel a bit more reserved or concerned about presenting a serious image for business, ultimately the quality of your service will carry the most weight - still, a strong brand name could help kickstart that just a bit.

    I am vaguely aware of professional consultancies, software, textbooks, and so on dedicated to the art and science of branding gobbledygook. Some of that may be useful to know about but ... I think you can DIY it - maybe play around with some techname and/or business buzzword generator software for ideas until you either get all that nonsense out of your system and/or (long shot) maybe find something you really like anyway.

    and that's probably actually the most important thing - something you really dig. You'll know it when you find it. Maybe ask for a second/third/fourth opinion and discover that no one can talk you out of it anyway ... then that's the one. (Tredaxa.com ...?) :sunglasses:

    @uptime actually my girlfriend is the one who started calling me geekyhillbilly. I talk with a southern accent (live in the midwest of USA), lived in the south for 30 yrs and am as hillbilly as they come. I had a computer repair business for a couple years until the people in the small town where I was living quit paying for things. She said I was her geeky hillbilly because I am so much a hillbilly but love computers. So that's what I called my repair business, Geekyhillbilly Computer Repair. You ARE right @uptime that when I find that one nobody can talk me out of then that's the one.

    Thanked by (1)uptime
  • WSSWSS Retired

    @geekyhillbilly West Plains Hosting

    Thanked by (1)uptime

    My pronouns are asshole/asshole/asshole. I will give you the same courtesy.

  • @uptime said:

    @FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    I think this needs a poll.

    Clear Willow is probably the easiest to recognize immediately.

    I read it as "dear" willow - I need glasses but still just a bit ... ironic?

    Ironic indeed. :smiley: DeerWillow? We can add deers to the managerie. :smile:

    @geekyhillbilly said:
    So that's what I called my repair business, Geekyhillbilly Computer Repair.

    Why not riff on that? You've already got a brand with some recognition, presumably, just expand it.

    Thanked by (1)uptime
  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited December 2019

    Naming businesses is fun! Bottomline; I concur with what most folks have mentioned- it is your call/ your gut !

    @geekyhillbilly let me ask- why not hillbillyhosting or a variation of the same ? Maybe it is too pre-dot-com-dial-up-isp ish?

    I've never used the term TL, DR before but the below can represent exactly that. *

    tl;dr:

    Depending on which era you want to represent:
    If you live in 2015 - name your business after a 'real person name':
    https://fortune.com/2014/12/22/startup-names-human/

    Is the company’s name a kooky word with too many vowels, such as Google (GOOG) or Yahoo (YHOO)? It was probably founded in the Web 1.0 era of the mid-to-late 1990s.

    Is the name in question a kooky word with not enough vowels, like Flickr, Tumblr, or Twttr, the original name for Twitter? It’s from the Web 2.0 era of the mid-2000s.

    Is it two words jammed together with a capitalized letter in the middle—so-called camel case—such as NetSuite (N), LinkedIn (LNKD), YouTube, or BuzzFeed? Who knows. That style trend, a blight to copy editors everywhere, will simply not die.

    Does the company’s name end in a cutesy suffix like Chirpify, Spotify, Ghostery, Findery, Bitly, Contently, Artsy, or Etsy? It was probably born in the last eight years, as evidenced by this chart. Many companies in this category took advantage of readily available domain names from Syria or Libya, ending in .sy and .ly, respectively.

    This list came recommended but does not load on my ad blocker controlled Opera/ Firefox:
    https://growth.org/blog/how-to-name-a-startup-the-s-m-a-r-t-checklist

    Early 2019, here is the 'naming philosophy'
    https://news.crunchbase.com/news/startup-names-may-have-passed-peak-weirdness/

    If investor funded, you have to sound smart, nerdy, intelligent. Locomation, Trustology, Educative are some of the names.

    I recall the post dot-com bust years, when wave after wave of companies renamed rebranded themselves. That's when I believe Altria, Verizon came into being. And Volkswagen had their "premium" car Phateon. The reason I say this is because in the first stage of a new business, you want everything just right. Sometimes, it's just as great to let it be. When the business grows stale or growth slows, or there is pushback from regulations, etc. a rebranding happens.

    There was marketing magazine study - eight letter words (4+4) were the norm in the late 200s / early 2010's. Face+Book being the most well known. (The Fortune article lists more examples from that era)

    Next came the domain name registration. So on a related note, let me mention briefly about TLD.
    Indian companies consider if uncool to have the .in TLD - they want to project themselves global and they use .com .
    Google and Amazon are smart- they localized. amazon.in sells more stuff than all other web commerce companies combined. I think they just hit the Billion $ mark or something like that. Google.co.in is the top 2 or top 3 in Alexa rankings in India.

    I had a long conversation with the CMO of a potential customer and they recommended that we change our TLD to .ai - to project that we use AI in our business. I think about three or four years ago, .io was the 'cool kids' favourite.

    Coming back to the name:
    Startups in India in completely unrelated businesses share same last three letters , etc. Apparently some investor guru or a management advisor had mentioned that the word 'fox' represents guile, speed, etc... that's how Shadowfox, Coverfox, etc. came, of course there was firefox- a web browser and a bicycle maker, squirrelfox (why cross breed two species?) etc. One or two rounds of investment later, they all changed names to five letter words- because that is the norm now.

    Maybe it stems from the fact that the most well known Fox name- Twentieth Century Fox, got taken over by Disney. In a way, the Top Dog Fox was gone, and all other foxes ran for cover, including coverfox. The last one is called Acko or something like that.

    If you want to use more 'recommendation engine driven' naming resources, here are a few

    https://www.shopify.in/tools/business-name-generator

    https://startupbros.com/how-to-pick-the-perfect-name-for-your-business-or-startup/

    https://thenextweb.com/entrepreneur/2017/10/26/before-naming-your-startup-read-this/

    *Edit: Thanks @uptime, help with the actual way TL, DR is written or what it means- you seem to use it often!

    I am vaguely aware of professional consultancies, software, textbooks, and so on dedicated to the art and science of branding gobbledygook. Some of that may be useful to know about but ... I think you can DIY it - maybe play around with some techname and/or business buzzword generator software for ideas until you either get all that nonsense out of your system and/or (long shot) maybe find something you really like anyway.

    We had an entire course on branding- brand persona, how it reflects the founder's / owner's personality, geography, heritage, industry, yadaa yadaa... I always feel it is a conversation best suited for classrooms, PR agencies, and multi billion $ corporations who have money to spend on consultancies who usually spit out such gibberish.

    Thanked by (1)uptime
  • how about

    (geeky)hillbilly.host

    Thanked by (2)uptime vyas

    Mostly lurking for now.

  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

    @geekyhillbilly - I think @cybertech may be on to something ^

    getting good domain names still available is a (potentially wallet-draining) challenge - I'd like to think it doesn't matter that much if you can get the .com vs the .net or etc, etc - but ... .com is nice

    a .host domain sometimes seems like a tempting choice to me but currently ridiculously expensive to register anywhere other than namecheap - so would suggest paying for several years renewal ahead of time to lock in the current sale price (about $15) there - and also registering the .com equivalent as well (for example huckleberry.host -> huckleberryhost.com) ... then maybe redirect the .host to the .com

    The above may or may not be an excessive and gratuitous way to approach the domain game - a good question to ask self always is "y tho?" :smiley: It just might not really matter that much, compared to other more important things.

    @vyas lol I am partial to the canonical tl;dr:

    "Too long; didn't read:"

    But I could read this stuff all day.

  • Your best name is in plain sight: hillbilly

    It catches attention and is memorable because nobody expects a hillbilly to even know how to operate a computer (I am exaggerating but basically there is an inherent contradiction between hillbilly and technology which will make people interested to at least click and check you out).

    And, you can make lots of hay with this when it comes to marketing. For example,

    "Even hillbillies have websites these days. We can help you start your own with a price tag that satisfies even the most miserly hillbilly."

    I should apply for a freelancer tag for communication consultation but as part of contributing to the community, my asking price is that you don't deadpool.

    Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

  • and considering .host to be a long-term brand name, then your biz initials/logo could be HBH

    Mostly lurking for now.

  • I wouldn’t recommend using a .host domain, it will look like one of the kiddie hosts. Either .com or .net for sure

    Thanked by (2)uptime AlwaysSkint
  • @poisson said:
    Your best name is in plain sight: hillbilly

    It catches attention and is memorable because nobody expects a hillbilly to even know how to operate a computer (I am exaggerating but basically there is an inherent contradiction between hillbilly and technology which will make people interested to at least click and check you out).

    And, you can make lots of hay with this when it comes to marketing. For example,

    "Even hillbillies have websites these days. We can help you start your own with a price tag that satisfies even the most miserly hillbilly."

    I should apply for a freelancer tag for communication consultation but as part of contributing to the community, my asking price is that you don't deadpool.

    I'm with the "take the .com by all means" line of thought - no one prevents you from using .local-country as well (or redirect .com to it, making the local country TLD a primary one).

    Also, when choosing a domain/brand name - good test is to tell it to your friends and ask them to write it down. If they can't figure it out, it's not good (like bikegremlin is for Slavic language native speaker population older than 40).

    Thanked by (1)uptime

    Mostly harmless ™
    I/O Gremlin

  • something short and memorable is great

    Thanked by (1)uptime

    ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆ Thanked by (1281): verjin

  • reading other comments and thinking on this some more, a couple haha insights percolate

    1) different (sometimes conflicting) opinions all make sense
    2) I don't always follow my own advice about ".com is king" (etc.)
    3) branding is nice but really the rest of the business plan is even more difficult and usually that much more ctucial

    Whatever you do, have fun with it :)

  • ndelaespadandelaespada Hosting ProviderOG

    Most of the time people tend to waste time thinking of a name for their business venture, why not dedicate that time into planning, thinking of something different to offer than what's already out there? at the end of the day while the name is important that's not really what will bring in customers.. now if you still decide to dedicate more time thinking about a name go with something short and may be containing a word related to the business.

    Good luck!

    Owned-Networks | VPS and Web Hosting for every project size and budget
    DAL - LEN - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer
    edited December 2019

    :-)

    As long as it is not something quirky like the "toilet stealer" or whatever the name the provider uses on LET

  • @ndelaespada said:
    Most of the time people tend to waste time thinking of a name for their business venture, why not dedicate that time into planning, thinking of something different to offer than what's already out there? at the end of the day while the name is important that's not really what will bring in customers.. now if you still decide to dedicate more time thinking about a name go with something short and may be containing a word related to the business.

    Sort of. Don't name it something like "Bitch Magnet Hosting" or anything else offensive.

    Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • seriesnseriesn Hosting ProviderOG

    @vyas said:

    :-)

    As long as it is not something quirky like the "toilet stealer" or whatever the name the provider uses on LET

    Project 2020

    ToiletHosting - A CC venture.

    Thanked by (2)vyas vpsgeek
  • hostFU.com is available! It send an unambiguous message to your prospective clients.

    But seriously, if you're serious about the hosting biz, you can do better than the domains in the poll.
    Go with .com (assuming you're in the US) but I do love those $$$ .io

  • Why do I always think .io sounds like the person's on another planet?

    Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

    Where's the ignore setting?

  • deankdeank OGOfficial Troll

    For me, io always reminds me of iolo from Ultima.

    Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

    The Amitz day is October 21. ||| I call people by their soulname. ||| I do not click links.

Sign In or Register to comment.