Anyone using Local WP for local WP Development?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited January 2022 in WordPress

I thought it looked really neat and was perhaps even more comfortable than setting up everything manually with XAMPP. But, oh boy, was performance bad. Not sure if this is WP 5.9, or the Local WP, but the last time I ran a local WordPress install with XAMPP, it was super fast. Using Windows 10 here.

Did anyone try this one before? I guess I should just revert to using XAMPP, or install on my vmbox that is running ZorinOS with Network Bridge.

https://localwp.com/

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I don't develop new sites on a regular basis - so keep that in mind.

I usually do it on a hosting server. It makes it easier for me to work on the site wherever I am, it makes it easier to collaborate, and I can see how it works on a hosting server right away. Usually using some subdomain. Once it's all good, I clone it to the domain where it is supposed to be.

For local stuff, I used to use Local by Flywheel - but haven't used that for well over a year.

Thanked by (3)Ympker Unixfy mikho

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2022

@bikegremlin said:

I usually do it on a hosting server. It makes it easier for me to work on the site wherever I am, it makes it easier to collaborate, and I can see how it works on a hosting server right away. Usually using some subdomain. Once it's all good, I clone it to the domain where it is supposed to be.

For local stuff, I used to use Local by Flywheel - but haven't used that for well over a year.

Hey there, mate. Thanks for your input :)
    Technically, I was following the same practice like you before. Setup any demo/dev sites under a dev subdomain on my Reseller/Shared Hosting and just work from wherever I am. Definitely more flexibility here. I only recently thought about trying a local approach before and LocalWP came to mind (since I remembered that one). Actually, Flywheel local (the one you mentioned) is LocalWP today. It appears to be the same(?) product. Still, I thought having a local wp dev environment could be beneficial as to not expose the site to the internet immediately (although, I know there's pw protected and similar solutions for this). Anyway, if localwp continues to disappoint, I'll just revert to what I did before (dev environment on a local subdomain).

Thanks for commenting, mate! :) @bikegremlin

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2022

I used it in the past- other than "offline" version did not see much merit.
    Now I use TasteWp - they allow instances upto 3 days, lots of options to tinker around with. Interesting Aff program-

with 3 registrations you can keep the WP instance longer. Here's mine ig you want to give it a try. https://tastewp.com/a/y0sVyFC2

I like that they call WP 5.9 as "Insecure" and "outdated" :-)

X5n31Y.md.jpg

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@vyas said:
    I used it in the past- other than "offline" version did not see much merit.
    Now I use TasteWp - they allow instances upto 3 days, lots of options to tinker around with. Interesting Aff program-

with 3 registrations you can keep the WP instance longer. Here's mine ig you want to give it a try. https://tastewp.com/a/y0sVyFC2

I like that they call WP 5.9 as "Insecure" :-)
    https://i.imgur.com/muiD8b6.png

This sounds like the online dev/subdomain option was still the way to go. For just trying a couple things TasteWP might be even faster and more convenient. I saw you bring it up sometimes in the past. Thanks for the reminder!

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

Hey there, mate. Thanks for your input :)
    Technically, I was following the same practice like you before. Setup any demo/dev sites under a dev subdomain on my Reseller/Shared Hosting and just work from wherever I am. Definitely more flexibility here. I only recently thought about trying a local approach before and LocalWP came to mind (since I remembered that one). Actually, Flywheel local (the one you mentioned) is LocalWP today. It appears to be the same(?) product. Still, I thought having a local wp dev environment could be beneficial as to not expose the site to the internet immediately (although, I know there's pw protected and similar solutions for this). Anyway, if localwp continues to disappoint, I'll just revert to what I did before (dev environment on a local subdomain).

Rebranded - I fixed the link, but didn't edit every mention in the article.

As for the exposure - I use HTTPS and SSH for most work, uploads, downloads etc.

I also use a silly domain (some-string.some-tld), with a silly subdomain (string.some-string.some-tld).
    Not even Google figures it out (LOL)! :)

Unless a project is some really huge-profiled one, I suppose that kind of obscurity and security are acceptable (weighing all the pros and cons of local vs online development for my use case).

Thanks for commenting, mate! :) @bikegremlin

Happy to help when I can. Got a lot of good advice on the green forum(s). :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Ympker said: Hey there, mate. Thanks for your input :)

[ . . . ]

@Ympker said: Thanks for commenting, mate! @bikegremlin

Hey @Ympker! Your enthusiasm brings a smile to my face! :) Thank you!

@bikegremlin and @vyas You guys always are trying to help! Thank you!

Thanked by (2)vyas bikegremlin

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!