Seeking for online self hosted tool for syncing via ftp/sftp. Any help?

jvnadrjvnadr OG
edited January 2020 in General

Hi there, wish to all of you a healthy happy new year!
I am searching for a self hosted online tool that can synchronize files via ftp/sftp.
The usage scenario is for a shared CPanel server with no access to jailed ssh. A friend of mine wants to periodically copy files from some folders from the CPanel account to a server (with full root access). This cannot be done via rsync cause there is no access to the original server except fro the CPanel GUI. So, he wants an online tool that can login via ftp/sftp credentials and copy the files from there to the destination server.
Any thoughts on this or alternative suggestions?

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
• If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

Comments

• I believe NextCloud can do that well? It allows mounting of FTP/SFTP.

Thanked by (1)jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr OG
    edited January 2020

@FAT32 said: I believe NextCloud can do that well? It allows mounting of FTP/SFTP.

And copy newer/modyfied files from the mounted ftp/sftp folder(s) to the destination server's storage? If so, it's really interesting! I'll have a look. Although I use nextcloud for cloud storage of files, I have not searched a lot the capabilities of it...

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• @jvnadr said:

@FAT32 said: I believe NextCloud can do that well? It allows mounting of FTP/SFTP.

And copy newer/modyfied files from the mounted ftp/sftp folder(s) to the destination server's storage? If so, it's really interesting! I'll have a look. Although I use nextcloud for cloud storage of files, I have not searched a lot the capabilities of it...

Nextcloud will simply act as if the SFTP storage is local, so there's no difference to a user. Many folks use Nextcloud with Amazon S3 backed storage or similar.

Thanked by (1)jvnadr
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Solaire said:

@jvnadr said:

Nextcloud will simply act as if the SFTP storage is local, so there's no difference to a user. Many folks use Nextcloud with Amazon S3 backed storage or similar.

Wow. It even support onedrive. I've got a spare 1tb onedrive. Amazing

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited January 2020

@jvnadr said:

Manual copying works but not sure about any automated way, especially syncing new files only. Maybe there are some extensions in NextCloud that can do that. In addition, I don't think the performance will be great for lots of files.

Thanked by (1)jvnadr
  • Nextcloud is great, but the E2E encryption is very broken.

At one point I am kinda frustrated that I feel like building my own lol, but mainly I just want to build a simple E2E encrypted photo albums for friends and families, with web platform, native Android and iOS apps.

• edited January 2020

If only file retention would work properly in Nextcloud - gets a bit tedious culling older backup files manually.
    Note: if you (s)FTP files to nextcloud, they won't be encrypted, AFAIK - might be an issue/consideration. It's the reason, for me using WebDAV/rsync to Nextcloud.

Thanked by (1)jvnadr

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)