HostDoc closing down

Comments

• I realise the circumstances weren't ideal, and perhaps a lot of the bad PR was maybe uncalled for, but surely given how quickly HostDoc was to throw in the towel and leave people in the lurch, I don't understand why everyone seems to want them to return in the future. Yes, with good luck in finding a new job, etc, but I certainly wouldn't risk buying anything if they re-opened in the future.

Thanked by (3)debaser dedotatedwam WSS
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

@Mr_Tom said:
    I realise the circumstances weren't ideal, and perhaps a lot of the bad PR was maybe uncalled for, but surely given how quickly HostDoc was to throw in the towel and leave people in the lurch, I don't understand why everyone seems to want them to return in the future. Yes, with good luck in finding a new job, etc, but I certainly wouldn't risk buying anything if they re-opened in the future.

Fair point, that in itself is probably more damaging than anything before hand.

Its not like the Doc wrote the software that created the mess, that can be lost in history or simply batted away if brought up in the future, but making the decision to throw in the towel on the first significant speed bump will not be forgotten.

I forget the name of the 3 or 4 brands that one guy on LET ran for 6 - 12 months then sold or closed but I remember his name and things got harder for him every time until he just had to give up as people expected their details to be sold or to be pumped and dumped within a short space of time.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Not commenting on the circumstances/reasons for closing down, it seems to me the Doc is doing a graceful exit, giving refunds and offering time to move out. I think he should be remembered for that! :) All the best, @HostDoc! <3

@flips said:
    Not commenting on the circumstances/reasons for closing down, it seems to me the Doc is doing a graceful exit, giving refunds and offering time to move out. I think he should be remembered for that! :) All the best, @HostDoc! <3

Also really good point, sadly its rare to see a host actually refund upon exit.

• @AnthonySmith said: Fair point, that in itself is probably more damaging than anything before hand.

Exactly. While the data leak issues may not have been the Docs fault, or handled in the best way, it does currently look like he's given up and said "nah" - understandable but not "right" IMO.

@flips said: it seems to me the Doc is doing a graceful exit, giving refunds and offering time to move out

This is true - he's not doing a runner with the money which is good.

Wishing all the best is good, I wouldn't want to see anyone "fail", I just don't think wishing the Doc to return to hosting is right either - but good luck in whatever they decide to do.

• flipsflips OG
    edited February 2020

@Mr_Tom said: I just don't think wishing the Doc to return to hosting is right either

This is like saying "you should not return". I strongly disagree. If he returns, he would have considered pros and cons and learnt from the past. Announcing now that you would not buy from him in the future, seems like just "rubbing salt in the wound" (not sure if that's an English expression) ... And I don't think anyone deserves that, and certainly not the Doc!
    (You probably don't agree and feel justified, so just let's agree to disagree.)

• @flips said: This is like saying "you should not return". I strongly disagree. If he returns, he would have considered pros and cons and learnt from the past. Announcing now that you would not buy from him in the future, seems like just "rubbing salt in the wound" (not sure if that's an English expression) ... And I don't think anyone deserves that, and certainly not the Doc!

Okay, perhaps I worded a bit harsh - I wasn't trying to put down or insult anyone - but it's not the first time there's been a thread like this. I don't know the full circumstances but HostDoc was about to shutdown a server with ReliableSite at the drop of a hat because of an issue. Yes the issue was resolved and all was well in the end, but that should have been handled differently.

I'm all for people having another chance - but for me seeing how this and previous incidents were handled then there are plenty of other providers I'd chose over the Doc.

Thanked by (1)Clouvider
  • I will say this. Someone who has technical sysadmin chops isn't necessarily cut out for a hosting business. The skill sets involved are much more.

Thanked by (1)Clouvider

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• Thanked by (1)lentro

Ionswitch.com | High Performance VPS in Seattle and Dallas since 2018

• Those graph and image are fault.

At least for those who are against Brexit.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@deank said:
    Those graph and image are fault.

On the bright side: now EU has one GB of free space!

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@deank said:

Haha. So what are they going to do with that one GB free space? In today's world, one GB isn't worth that much. :wink:

• @bikegremlin said:

@deank said:

So, you're sayin, GB was not fairly pounded around EU?
    Should've probably went all Euro to avoid current Drachma.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @flips said:
    Not commenting on the circumstances/reasons for closing down, it seems to me the Doc is doing a graceful exit, giving refunds and offering time to move out. I think he should be remembered for that! :) All the best, @HostDoc! <3

Still waiting for my refund here, support ticket is submitted as per instruction in the email. The ryzen plan is really great for my needs. . I was hooked of that promo 2 weeks prior to all the data leaks and closing.

@okgoogle said:

@flips said:

Still waiting for my refund here, support ticket is submitted as per instruction in the email. The ryzen plan is really great for my needs. . I was hooked of that promo 2 weeks prior to all the data leaks and closing.

It’s a very manual process, you can probably only do a few hundred a day before going insane from the repetitive task, may take a few weeks I guess.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@okgoogle said:

@flips said:

It’s a very manual process, you can probably only do a few hundred a day before going insane from the repetitive task, may take a few weeks I guess.

This. Keep in mind also that these are pro-rated which means he needs to manually calculate the amount to refund.

Account credits is another nightmare especially considering there were credit topup bonuses which obviously aren't eligible for a refund (only what you paid) but even then, is account credits something that are expected to be refunded? Personally I understand them to be generally non-refundable. I genuinely have no idea past that.

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@okgoogle said:

@flips said:

This. Keep in mind also that these are pro-rated which means he needs to manually calculate the amount to refund.

Account credits is another nightmare especially considering there were credit topup bonuses which obviously aren't eligible for a refund (only what you paid) but even then, is account credits something that are expected to be refunded? Personally I understand them to be generally non-refundable. I genuinely have no idea past that.

Thanks both for your wisdom..

@dahartigan said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@okgoogle said:

@flips said:

Urgh.... I could not be bothered with that, I would rather go into debt and just click refund haha, a weeks worth of work vs a month.

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

• Gonna try this later on tonight, wish me luck. /var/virtualizor about to get rm -rf *.

• Welcome to the Nigh sect, @4tester.

Thanked by (2)uptime vpsgeek

• sad, i'm late opening my mail. now i'm back to struggling looking for vps that allow me to use their core at max for about 7-10 dolla a month for cross-compile and transcoding.

this february isn't romantic at all

@mobile said: sad, i'm late opening my mail. now i'm back to struggling looking for vps that allow me to use their core at max for about 7-10 dolla a month for cross-compile and transcoding.

The closure is now starting to make a bit more sense.

• It was a scam. How many months has it been since the BlackBoyFriend fiasco?

And how many fell for the same trick again, I wonder.

• And how many fell for the same trick again, I wonder.

How many Alpharacks customers bought the follow on PSK offer...

Ionswitch.com | High Performance VPS in Seattle and Dallas since 2018

@ionswitch_stan said: How many Alpharacks customers bought the follow on PSK offer...

my guess, all of them.

• @ionswitch_stan said:

What does PSK stand for?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• @vpsgeek said:

@ionswitch_stan said:

What does PSK stand for?

PSK Hosting, the company that replaced Alpharacks.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek uptime
  • @vpsgeek said:

@ionswitch_stan said:

What does PSK stand for?

Pretty Shady Kompany

Thanked by (3)vpsgeek uptime dahartigan
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Anybody know when the servers are going down? Been procrastinating moving stuff