HostDoc closing down

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@havoc said:
    Anybody know when the servers are going down? Been procrastinating moving stuff

Has to be me that's the one to ask but...

You got a loicense for those backups m8?

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • What actually happened?

Would be good to know for the record.

Was there some software company that let him down?

• tl;tr

Was making loss.
    Shut up the shop, refunding some, not refunding some.
    It seems he has a history pulling this.

Used a software bug and its related drama as an excuse to step down.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited February 2020

@havoc said:
    Anybody know when the servers are going down? Been procrastinating moving stuff

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @havoc yeah I would say time is nigh my dude

time is nigh ...

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@deank said:
    tl;tr

Was making loss.

I was not aware of the history?

Thanked by (1)casadebamburojo

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said:

@deank said:
    tl;tr

Was making loss.

Someone linked the history of struck off companies on let

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited February 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@deank said:
    tl;tr

Was making loss.

Me neither. That’s why I purchased a VPS from this guy. Not the most expensive, but certainly not at an unbelievably low price either. Almost everyone was positive about Hostdoc. I thought it was because I’m fairly new in this LE universe that I fell “for the same trick” @deank refers to, but still. They had a good reputation. So maybe I should blame myself for this, but I really can’t give the information I had before purchasing.

Of course didn’t host anything special there. That’s reserved for solid German hosters.

@Clouvider said:

In which of the 73 threads about Hostdoc?

Edit: Nevermind, I did read that one. They weren’t hosting related so most of us wouldn’t have known.

• His Oz OVH appears to have died. The end is..

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

@Clouvider said: Someone linked the history of struck off companies on let

I did not know about that, guess it was well covered up.

• @deank said:
    tl;tr

What software & bug was that?

• @Clouvider said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@deank said:
    tl;tr

Was making loss.

Here is what "someone" said on LET

• @Kyle_ - various discussion to be found all over the place here and on HostBalls and LET since January 25th, but this may have been ground zero

@FAT32 said:

@HostDoc said:
    It seems to be a module that is the cause. Feel free to PM me for further info.
    Yes, it is serious and has been treated as such.

Hi Doc, I don't want to spoil the mood but I still see this happening once a while when I login to my client area, since OCT 2019. I opened a ticket and mentioned to you multiple times through live chat during Oct and Nov. You mentioned to me that you think it wouldn't happen again, yet it still happened after your reply. I thought maybe, just maybe you are still fixing it but it is already at least 3 months since I first discovered this issue. This is not limited to the Services page but also the Tickets page, from what I have encountered so far.

I don't really want to make this statement public but I already told you about this quite a number of times privately (at least 5 from what I can remember). I understand software problems can be hard to debug but that doesn't mean it is fine to continue to let it happen. It NEVER happened to me with any other providers that I have tried so far. I am still very worried about this and as you can see now a few people on the forum also reported this.

Don't get me wrong, you are a great guy that's why I trust you and your services. I also know that you are busy in life and sleep very little that's why I don't push you hard on this problem. But if this continue to persist I am unsure about whether you are really taking it seriously.

The subsequent response from @HostDoc ... might have been handled more professionally.

For the record, I don't imagine that any of this was a deliberate scam - there may well have been a (tenuous) path to profitability up to the point where things went sideways, albeit far out on a limb ... over thin ice ... without a net ....

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

@dartagnan said: Here is what "someone" said on LET

To be honest, that is just looking for something and coming up with nothing. Someone had an idea or three, set up a company or two and in the end did little or nothing with it. Done it myself, many times over the years and I move in circles where it is pretty common that zero was done other than to register the company. Easier to just let it be struck off, nothing is going to come of it. Its a process more than a suspicious act.

HostDoc was up to date and in order, so if nothing else it shows he was doing things properly in that regard whatever is happening now.

Thanked by (2)uptime vimalware
  • I also do not believe it was a deliberate scam, either.

He simply snapped under pressure and probably wanted to secure some funds.

@dartagnan said:

@Clouvider said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@deank said:
    tl;tr

Was making loss.

Here is what "someone" said on LET

I will give that a miss.

• @uptime Am I the bad guy here?

• How come? Omega-32 fatty acid is good for you.

I think.

Thanked by (2)FAT32 poisson

• FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited February 2020

@deank said:
    How come? Omega-32 fatty acid is good for you.

I think.

If I didn't posted that, maybe the subsequent things wouldn't happen? But I posted that because I care about my data privacy. :(

Honestly, this is not what I hope it become. I am really hoping HostDoc can really take it seriously because I am slightly disappointed that this has not fixed and I don't know how many people have seen my data.

Btw. You are really at the right time, I am having some muscle pains and would love to have Omega 3 Fatty Acid lol.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

@FAT32 seriously? I think you did the right thing, while from start to finish (sorry to say) @HostDoc surely did not handle the situation as one would hope to see ...

There are indeed various takes on "responsible disclosure" protocols that one might expect professional security researchers to be well acquainted with. I'm not sure exactly where this situation would land in that domain, but probably best to err on the side of caution - up to a point.

• I gather you could see information that you shouldn’t have been able to? Other clients or something? What software was it? That’s pretty serious.

• deankdeank OG
    edited February 2020

@FAT32 said:
    If I didn't posted that, maybe the subsequent things wouldn't happen? But I posted that because I care about my data privacy. :(

Honestly, this is not what I hope it become. I am really hoping HostDoc can really take it seriously because I am slightly disappointed that this has not fixed and I don't know how many people have seen my data.

Look, the dude has a tendency to run when things go south. His company history shows that.

Even if it wasn't you, someone else would have pointed it out /or some other problems would have occurred along the way.

What I am saying is that he would have run if something like his backup system failed on him when a server goes kaput. Unlike @smalldickhost, he doesn't have the balls to withstand the pressure.

That's what I think.

• Oh, I see they use WHMCS.

• He basically was a one man show trying to give the illusion he is 1000x bigger than he is if you see how mamy servers and locations he expanded to in 2 years. I really doubt that his business revenue grew at that rate if his 2018 accounts are reliable information.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

@FAT32 - I am sure there are several people involved who might wish they could go back in time for a do-over, if only that were possible. But most of all: @HostDoc.

The only thing we really can do in our 3.5 dimensional existence is try to learn from the past and resolve to do better in the future.

Speaking for myself - I also wonder what I might have done differently (given that I also had seen and reported the problem privately, and then eventually saw it happen again too) ...

And I really don't know. I do like to think I made the best decisions I could make with the information I had available to me at the time.

Thanked by (1)FAT32

• @uptime said:
    @FAT32 - I am sure there are several people involved who might wish they could go back in time for a do-over, if only that were possible. But most of all: @HostDoc.

The only thing we really can do in our 3.5 dimensional existence is try to learn from the past and resolve to do better in the future.

Speaking for myself - I also wonder what I might have done differently (given that I also had seen and reported the problem privately, and then eventually saw it happen again too) ...

And I really don't know. I do like to think I made the best decisions I could make with the information I had available to me at the time.

I've been having the same thoughts lately too. At the end of the day, the choice was his and his alone, all we did was shine the light on him.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan agreed ...

I might mention while we're here that I have recently learned that @FAT32 is in fact hip to (so called) responsible disclosure protocols and actually is not very evil at all, nor was he the ground zero of the eventual @HostDoc meltdown.

(And @PHP_Backend seems like a fine fellow as well, and had no idea of the shitstorm brewing behind the scenes. )

The instinct to second-guess our own roles is a (generally speaking) a healthy aspect of our human nature but let's not get carried away with mea culpas missing the point.

For what it's worth, my thoughts from a PM recently sent to @FAT32:

aha - thanks for those details and correction wrt "ground zero" for making the issue public - and, my sincere apologies for pointing the finger at you ... in public even! Messy business all around - from my perspective I see several people acting from sense of responsibility: @poisson to defend the rectitude of his whitelist; David to remedy his perceived role as host rep; and you as a LET mod and advocate for customers' security. The apparent lack of responsibility began and ended with Doc (though I might charitably assume he just had ... different priorities). I thought his initial response to @poisson and David was a very sad display, and I can only imagine it echoes the tone of other private messages as you described. Tl;dr - wtf ???

Thanked by (2)FAT32 dahartigan

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@SmallWeb said: You got a loicense for those backups m8?

Possibly. Downloaded some of it. It's just a blog so not too fussed

Busy building a new desktop so #priorities

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • cocky

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Junior is now opening chargebacks against his upstreams (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3081100/#Comment_3081100). The time for disputes/chargebacks is now. You won't be receiving a refund from HostDoc, he doesn't have any cash and obviously won't be helping anyone out given this latest behaviour.

I hope we all remember this if he decides to give hosting another shot years from now.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport