Looking for a small UK/EU VM for a personal Nextcloud

2»

Comments

• @vyas said:
    poisson / fat32 any recommendations for free Nextcloud/Owncloud hosting in Asia?

Not aware of anything free... even then I dont trust my data on their services unencrypted. If that really happens you know it will be closed down due to abusers

Thanked by (2)vyas deepak_leb
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

@FAT32 said:

@vyas said:
    poisson / fat32 any recommendations for free Nextcloud/Owncloud hosting in Asia?

Not aware of anything free... even then I dont trust my data on their services unencrypted. If that really happens you know it will be closed down due to abusers

How about non free? Any $ 2.99 plans?

@AlwaysSkint ref your message below...

Damn OCDs.. :-)

Squats are the new Push-ups

• I'm too much of a control freak: prefer to partition, install, encrypt and tweak myself, rather than OOB/preset configurations. My Nextcloud instances are either on (proper) lowend dedi or self-configured VPS.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I'm too much of a control freak: prefer to partition, install, encrypt and tweak myself, rather than OOB/preset configurations. My Nextcloud instances are either on (proper) lowend dedi or self-configured VPS.

Me too! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll leaf through them this evening and find a place for my Nextcloud. I don't really trust free services with my data, I'd rather pay some money and know it's safe and secure somewhere. If I'm not paying for it, it could get pulled at any moment and I'd rather have something I can rely on. :)

I've currently got a Nextcloud instance on a shared host but it's starting to get a bit slow and I think it could benefit from the extra resources a VPS would afford.

• @VPSensational said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I'm too much of a control freak: prefer to partition, install, encrypt and tweak myself, rather than OOB/preset configurations. My Nextcloud instances are either on (proper) lowend dedi or self-configured VPS.

Me too! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll leaf through them this evening and find a place for my Nextcloud. I don't really trust free services with my data, I'd rather pay some money and know it's safe and secure somewhere. If I'm not paying for it, it could get pulled at any moment and I'd rather have something I can rely on. :)

I've currently got a Nextcloud instance on a shared host but it's starting to get a bit slow and I think it could benefit from the extra resources a VPS would afford.

Sir : https://nexusbytes.com/knowledgebase/39/1plus1-equals-3-Valentines-Day-Promo.html

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

@seriesn

Below is On the VPS-1 plan. Not sure if one can run NC on the storage plans.
    Not that one not could, but rather one not should.

For vps-1 that's more like 7 GB your own, personal, exclusive Nextcloud with (2x redundancy) @ $40/ year

Or

Stack to get 25 GB for @ $40

Minus discounts yada yada annual blah

Grab a coffee and show us your skills how to write sales copy.

If you want to share for nextcloud you get a pair.
    And a third with a smile and a thanks- just because we care.

Thanked by (1)seriesn

• @vyas said:
    @seriesn

Below is On the VPS-1 plan. Not sure if one can run NC on the storage plans.
    Not that one not could, but rather one not should.

For vps-1 that's more like 7 GB your own, personal, exclusive Nextcloud with (2x redundancy) @ $40/ year

Or

Stack to get 25 GB for @ $40

Minus discounts yada yada annual blah

Grab a coffee and show us your skills how to write sales copy.

If you want to share for nextcloud you get a pair.
    And a third with a smile and a thanks- just because we care.

I like the blahs! It is the perfect umph??

• Hosthatch, liteserver, alphavps.bg, nexusbytes,inception hosting, letbox,wishosting and list goes on.

Currently am using nextcloud on hosthatch server ( 2yrs + - Stockholm) still solid & good.

Thanked by (3)seriesn uptime key900
  • @deepak_leb said:
    Currently am using nextcloud on hosthatch server ( 2yrs + - Stockholm) still solid & good.

Is it safe to say, you got "stockholm" syndrome?

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • @seriesn said:

@VPSensational said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Sir

It's "madam" to you ;)

Thanked by (1)seriesn
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @VPSensational said:

@seriesn said:

@VPSensational said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Sir

It's "madam" to you ;)

Eek my bad! :*) Join the family :)

• If the kind of transphobic video above is the tone I'm going to get here, I'm out.

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited February 2020

@VPSensational said:
    If the kind of transphobic video above is the tone I'm going to get here, I'm out.

If someone recording someone having a shitfit over an accidental pronoun is enough to make you go away, I wouldn't trust you with my service. "Asshole" is non-gendered. Does that work for you?

Thanked by (1)poisson

• C'mon guys, let's keep it civil in here. No need to be at each other's throats over words. Apologize and move on.

Thanked by (1)seriesn

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited February 2020

@CamoYoshi said:
    C'mon guys, let's keep it civil in here. No need to be at each other's throats over words. Apologize and move on.

This isn't tumbr. Either Ant can ban me, or ban both of us, or neither. I will not apologize for offending a snowflake getting offended by some idiot breaking up a store because of victim culture.

I don't give a fuck what your personal identity is. I'm here to talk code, hosting, and sarcasm. If that bothers you, then don't wear it on your sleeve.

Thanked by (2)dahartigan poisson

• @WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    C'mon guys, let's keep it civil in here. No need to be at each other's throats over words. Apologize and move on.

This isn't tumbr. Either Ant can ban me, or ban both of us, or neither. I will not apologize for offending a snowflake getting offended by some idiot breaking up a store because of victim culture.

I don't give a fuck what your personal identity is. I'm here to talk code, hosting, and sarcasm. If that bothers you, then don't wear it on your sleeve.

I get that, totally. It's not justified to be upset over someone who made a genuine mistake as shown in the video. I think it goes both ways. Courtesy on both sides is important. We can agree to disagree but I think it's a morally better choice to show courtesy and respect even if you don't get it in return. Does it justify one's actions of say, destroying property just because there was a mistake? Of course not. But it also doesn't justify being mean spirited back, either.

As always, this is just my two cents. :)

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @VPSensational said:
    If the kind of transphobic video above is the tone I'm going to get here, I'm out.

With all due respect, I don't think that I would label the video "transphobic", though I'd be open to being convinced otherwise. The only person who blew everything out of proportion was the trans-person. The clerk erred in not using the gender form of address that the trans-person wished to hear, but the clerk then apologized and remained calm despite the completely exaggerated reaction of the trans-person.

Of course, it's another question how this video is relevant to the topic of this thread(!), but @WSS was reacting to your remark to @seriesn ("It's "madam" to you"), which I guess implies that you're female(?), but I'm not sure that this is what you meant ...

... Anyway, let's all calm down. :)

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint CamoYoshi

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• Sigh...

@VPSensational said:

Hey,
    No @WSS is our beloved forum troll and shit poster. @WSS means no harm. He tried to add some fun to the thread as usual.

It was definitely a mistake on my part to assume you are a male (On the internet, everyone is a male assumption.). I do apologies if my remark or assumption was disrespectful to you, or anyone else in this forum.

@WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

Give our new friend here some benefit of the doubt and get to know you/the LE forum style :).

Let's make love, not war. Jokes were made, comments were passed, appropriate or inappropriate, that is up to the users' and readers' discretion. :)

• Wow the discussion went off in a different direction overnight.

Anyways, here are the screenshots from the Ubuntu 18.04 server template from Virmach. This is the same VPS which was showing high steals so I anyways had to reinstall.. thought of giving NC a try.
    Posting just the links since the images are not quite desktop friendly

1. Choice of snaps
      https://img.gaatha.co/qbYYmj

2.Choice of Nextcloud version
    https://cdn-std.droplr.net/files/acc_760875/SjO5f5

and finally

1. Install in progress
    2. https://img.gaatha.co/ERUxVB
    Thanked by (1)angstrom

• @seriesn said:

@deepak_leb said:

Is it safe to say, you got "stockholm" syndrome?

Probably ❤️

• @vyas said:
    @Sova mentioned bacloud. I have used NC on owncube in the past, Germany based, would recommend them.
    @uptime gives thumbs up to Spry Servers . That's NA
    @poisson / @fat32 any recommendations for free Nextcloud/Owncloud hosting in Asia?

Personally
    currently trying out NC install on a Reseller hosting plan that was idling.

Edit: Found this list on Github, adding it here since most of the discussion is around NC ...also corrected the incorrect attribution

https://github.com/nextcloud/providers

Asia is too expensive to be free. Anyway, I have have rolled out Syncthing as a NC replacement because NC can get too heavy on really low end boxes. My stuff are now synced via Syncthing on my phone, desktop, laptop, and I think 2 or 3 VMs distributed in different places. I think I have enough redundancy.

Thanked by (2)uptime elliotc

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• And regarding the other direction of this thread, this slit-eyed ching chong's unpopular view is that offense is mostly taken, not given. In the rare event that offense is deliberately given, I will be the first on the scene with an M-16 but I ain't bothering lifting a dessert pitchfork for snowflake egos.

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• Are we planning a new TV show now?

Slit eye or the offensive guy.