Ides of March -- Free VPS

2»

Comments

• @Not_Oles said: However, there are obvious problems with the free VPS program as currently arranged. For example, no out-of-the-box GUI support, even for really good GUIs. Also, there is no IPv6. And, at this time, I am doing all the installs and all the reinstalls by hand, myself, because I don't know an easy way, under the server's current Proxmox + OVH failover IP setup, for users to do their own installs and reinstalls.

I want to reinstall the server itself in a way which will permit users to do their own installs and reinstalls. And if there is no out-of-the-box GUI support, I should warn potential users before they come aboard and experience issues setting up the GUI environment they want.

How about replacing

@Not_Oles said: Proxmox

With OpenNebula ?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Not_Oles In the long run it's going to be faster to get rid of Proxmox and use a standard QEMU/KVM setup since there are a million management tools and images for that. Perhaps @Mason has a few suggestions if you want to keep using Proxmox, but other than homerolling your own utilities or getting a janky ModulesGarden WHMCS plugin, there really isn't a lot out there for proxmox management that I am aware of.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG
    edited April 2020

@Rahul said:

@Not_Oles said: However, there are obvious problems with the free VPS program as currently arranged. For example, no out-of-the-box GUI support, even for really good GUIs. Also, there is no IPv6. And, at this time, I am doing all the installs and all the reinstalls by hand, myself, because I don't know an easy way, under the server's current Proxmox + OVH failover IP setup, for users to do their own installs and reinstalls.

I want to reinstall the server itself in a way which will permit users to do their own installs and reinstalls. And if there is no out-of-the-box GUI support, I should warn potential users before they come aboard and experience issues setting up the GUI environment they want.

How about replacing

With OpenNebula ?

Please don't, it's unstable as hell.
    Used it for a year.

Was mostly busy with fixing bugs.

Just read into Proxmox + Cloud Init, you can automate pretty much everything.
    Just build a template one time and clone it each time.

Cloudinit takes care of the contextualization.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited April 2020

@WSS said:
    @Not_Oles In the long run it's going to be faster to get rid of Proxmox and use a standard QEMU/KVM setup since there are a million management tools and images for that. Perhaps @Mason has a few suggestions if you want to keep using Proxmox, but other than homerolling your own utilities or getting a janky ModulesGarden WHMCS plugin, there really isn't a lot out there for proxmox management that I am aware of.

I use a sponsored ProxCP instance. It's pretty solid and makes node/VM management a piece of cake.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles vimalware

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• RahulRahul OG
    edited April 2020

@iandk said:

@Rahul said:

@Not_Oles said: However, there are obvious problems with the free VPS program as currently arranged. For example, no out-of-the-box GUI support, even for really good GUIs. Also, there is no IPv6. And, at this time, I am doing all the installs and all the reinstalls by hand, myself, because I don't know an easy way, under the server's current Proxmox + OVH failover IP setup, for users to do their own installs and reinstalls.

How about replacing

With OpenNebula ?

Please don't, it's unstable as hell.
    Used it for a year.

Was mostly busy with fixing bugs.

@exception0x876 since you are a long time user of OpenNebula,

What's your overall experience with OpenNebula ( Excluding, the security vulnerability of Nov 2019) ?